Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best suv?

Question best suv?

hey people, I am currently choosing a car for everyday use and I think it ought to be an SUV, but obvoiusly with capability to go FAST . I currently drive 2001 G500 and absolutely love the car, it's a man's car, however it has its obvius disadvantages - very hard ride is the main one. I went through a few dealerships here in Moscow to check out what's on offer. I really do keep G55 constantly in mind, but would prefer to buy something else. Q7 fell out of my list as soon as I sat in it. The interior is too cramped and it felt like the roof was mms of my head. Considering the size of the car, the interior is way too small. Even more, I couldn't see anything out of it. Cayenne Turbo is a good one - but only in 2008 more than 30 were stolen in the city of moscow - the most popular SUV between car thievs. I really like the new X5, but there is no M in the line-up and it seems like there will not be one - new 4.4turbo engine will take some time to make it into prodcution, and even than no one can say what the performance is going to be. Any thoughts? ML seems very good, we got ML500 in the family and it is an absolute beaute in every way - it handles and it feels quality. My friend drives 07 ML63 here and he couldn't be happier with it. However I know that a facelifted version is to come out in the very near future. Is it worth the wait? Range Rover is the one I don't know much about and haven't checked out one yet, anyone owns one maybe? I do not consider any US cars simply because they are CRAP they do not handle, built with very low quality and my personal expirience shows that after a year or two on Russian roads they literaly start falling apart ( nothing personal to those who are from US, we can't make cars too only tanks ).

So if anyone can suggest anything please do, any info is much appreciated guys...
    from RUS with love :)
    12 R8 Plus; 14 Toyota LC200 Diesel; 06 Subaru Impreza STi Spec C Type RA; 09 BMW X5M SOLD; 01 Black Mercedes G500 SOLD; 00 Silver TTC Quattro SOLD; 02 RS6 - 530 hp SOLD

Isn't the X5 built in the USA?
    And the ML as well?
    Rules them out then...

I would recommend the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, with a Ruf Dakara kit.

The Cayenne or the ML63 would be the only ones on my list.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Isn't the X5 built in the USA?
    And the ML as well?
    Rules them out then...

I would recommend the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, with a Ruf Dakara kit.

The Cayenne or the ML63 would be the only ones on my list.
    LOL i see what u mean, i should have clarified - not cars produced in the US, but US companies...

is there any particular reason y you rule out the X5?
    12 R8 Plus; 14 Toyota LC200 Diesel; 06 Subaru Impreza STi Spec C Type RA; 09 BMW X5M SOLD; 01 Black Mercedes G500 SOLD; 00 Silver TTC Quattro SOLD; 02 RS6 - 530 hp SOLD

It's a BMW made in the USA, do I need more reasons?

i feel you here

gnomik007, I will advise surely ML63 facelifted.

It will be available for delivery aproximately since July-August (MY 2009).
    Cayenne is a great one also, but it is also a dangerous car for its owner given the fact of permanent hi-jacks.
    There is also X6 4.4 - a nice one car but you should love its syling though to buy it.
    Range Rover is a no-way competitor.
    So it is.

Be different and buy a Toureg R50.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Wait a little bit - Think Q7 V12 TDI or the new Q5.
    "Four Rings to Rule Them All - Audi"

What is the RUF Dakara kit?

If you dont plan to offroad it what about the Cayenne GTS then?
    " I Am A Driving God! "

I would personally advice,

1. Cayenne turbo S (No competition for that car, really)
    2. Touareg W12 (Little bit forgoten, but still very capable car)
    3. Touareg R50 (Fast ''oil burner'')

... Also, there is Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, I know you said NO US cars, but that car was developed and built under Mercedes.

No 1

How could I forget the VW Touareg?

I have 2 FIA International REcords in the V10 TDI for acceleration in its class

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Be different and buy a Toureg R50.

Want to be really different?

Buy a Fornasari RR600 or wait and buy a Spyker D12 Peking-to-Paris

thx to everyone for advice

Q7 is out of question because of the interior and we're yet to see what Q5 will bring...

Fornasari and Spyker I am sure are awesome peices of machinery, but I wouldn't be able to cope with their looks, too original 4 me

Although I like the Cayenne, the high risk of it being stolen takes it of the list as well...

I think the choice 4 me is really between facelifted ML63 but have to wait/4.4 turbo X5 but also have to wait (X6 seems to be one of those when you either love it or hate it, my feeling towards most bmws in th elast 5 years, I HATE X6)and maybe a VW - I will check it out sometime this week.

How does VW handle? I wouldn't want a heavy lug of metal unable to turn - for that I got G500
    i heard from friends here in Moscow that in terms of handling X5 is the one to go for, anyone can support this?
    Last edited by gnomik007; April 30th, 2008 at 11:59.

AMS had a head to head test Touareg R50 vs Cayenne GTS..., take a look at the out come..., remember that R50 is a DIESEL! W12 is even faster...

R50 (350 hp, 850 Nm.) 0-100 km/h: 6.7s
    W12 (450 hp, 600 Nm) 0-100 km/h:5.9s

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/t...estwertung.hbs

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/t...9262_13987.hbs

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/t...tdaten.hbs#ank

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread....ht=touareg+gts

Can't read german.... and I'm to lazy to translate it...haha
    That torque from the R50 is simply outrageous. Personelly I would go for the R50 as some have recomended.

Babelfish translation...

At times, in which nearly equal much cost different fuel places, one may send already times a Benziner against a Diesel into running. The speech is of Porsche Cayenne GTS and VOLKSWAGEN Touareg R50, with which one looks for the contraction TDI at the car however in vain.

Sprinter against Schwer-athlete

The Porsche developers sent the Cayenne S into the Fitness fitness-Studio and to that 385 HP of strong 4,8-Liter-V8 gasoline direct A splash 20 additional HP with 6.500 routes rained. The torque is with 500 Newtonmeters on the level of the basis engine. These values prove the GTS as Sprinter, while the 850 Nm of the zehnzylindrigen Fuenfliter TDI the Touareg R50 rather as Schwer-athlete qualify, although the output was increased of 313 to 350 HP.

Although both begin in the heavyweight, the R50 brings again full 336 kilograms more on the balance. With the Sprint both catapult themselves from the startbloecken such as Carl Lewis with its legendary 100-Meter-Weltrekord 1991 in Tokyo. As the first the Porsche pushes itself over the 100-km/h-Marke. In addition the Porsche with 251 runs km/h maximum speed faster than likewise the VOLKSWAGEN not slow with 235 km/h.

Consumption is clearly too high

The R50 possesses however more perseverance, because while the GTS be enough-strains on already for 546 kilometers for new food thirsts, the VOLKSWAGEN must load its energy depot only after 685 kilometers. That corresponds to a consumption of 14,6 litres per 100 of kilometers - Diesels mind you -, while the GTS consumes inconceivable 18.3 litres of superpluses.

Also off the driving dynamics, the Cayenne is the clearly agilere car. Its steering element is noticeably more directly translated, which improves the guidance expenditure in curves both reduced and aiming accuracy. With the Touareg however too much feedback is lost through the higher servo support. Apart from it the kurvenverhalten is just as surely and to a large extent neutral owing to permanent all-wheel drive with the R50 as with the GTS. Only when fast giving in in close turns both Kolosse push somewhat over the front wheels.

Sportyness versus leaving

Both are similarly tightened from head to foot - speak of the roof edge spoiler at the rear flap up to the 21-Zoellern with 295/35er-Sportsocken -. Together with special interior equipment and outstanding in each case sport seats the Touareg R50 costs scarcely 11,000 euro more than the conventional V10 TDI. Porsche requires 79,367 euro for the GTS with Tiptronic, approximately 10,000 more than for the Cayenne S. however is clearly more favorable the VOLKSWAGEN in the maintenance. It is not completely as sporty as the agile Cayenne GTS, possesses however that leaving, which brings high power reserves with itself.

PAGE 2

1. VW Touareg R50

491 von 650 Punkten.
    The R50 offers the more balanced total package, is more comfortably, well equipped and in the maintenance clearly more favorable.

2. Porsche Cayenne GTS

464 von 650 Punkten.
    The GTS shines with so far a driving dynamics not known in this class, used up however decided too much fuel.

Here are some pic's of the VW Touareg R50 and VW Touareg W12.

R50 first...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crnir50.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	6477   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crnir502.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	6478   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crnir503.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	6479   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crnir504.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	6480   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crnir505.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	6481   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crnir506.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	6482  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crnir507.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	6483   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plavir50.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	6484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plavir502.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	6485  

...And some of the W12...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w122.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	6487   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w123.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	6488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w124.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	6489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w125.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	6490   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w126.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	6491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w127.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	6492  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w128.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	6493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w129.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	6494   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w1210.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	6495  
    Attached Images Attached Images