Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TT/RS will be the one to watch.

Thumbs up TT/RS will be the one to watch.

Hi guys,

I just received info (very basic) concerning the TT/RS and lets say that it will be the one to have out of the entire line of RS models if you are serious about the driving.

This includes the RS6, RS4 and R8, the words 'out perform everything else' seems possibly to include even the RS5. According to my source Porsche were so impressed that the Cayman Turbo has been given the green light.

Great news for us, bad news for any potential 997 customers.

P.S.

Don't expect this to be TT cheap, this will be one serious little trackday tool and will be priced accordingly, does that mean it will approach the £50K mark, I hope not but I reckon something just below the £45K mark is a possibility.
    Search and you will find the truth.

When is this due to be shown / to be in the market?

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Hi guys,

I just received info (very basic) concerning the TT/RS and lets say that it will be the one to have out of the entire line of RS models if you are serious about the driving.

This includes the RS6, RS4 and R8, the words 'out perform everything else' seems possibly to include even the RS5. According to my source Porsche were so impressed that the Cayman Turbo has been given the green light.

P.S.

Don't expect this to be TT cheap, this will be one serious little trackday tool and will be priced accordingly, does that mean it will approach the £50K mark, I hope not but I reckon something just below the £45K mark is a possibility.
    WOW. Great news. Also, I can back this up with news from a few days ago!

Look:

The omnipresent Jalopniks have tipped us off to some interesting spy photos which were taken by BridgeToGantry.com, a site dedicated to all things about the Nürburgring Nordschleife.

Wearing Ludwigsburg license plates, which indicates an official Porsche AG car, BTG spotted this Porsche Cayman doing some hot laps. What was interesting was not it's appearance but rather its sound. BTG photographer gives an account of hearing the distinct sound of a turbo engine as this Cayman flew past.

BTG states they have seen a similar Cayman prototype making the same noise a year ago, but it's back. A turbo charged Cayman making somewhere in the neighborhood of 340hp would be a serious threat and outperform its older sibling, the 911. Known for being lean and well balanced, a Cayman Turbo would absolutely cannibalize 911 sales and Porsche knows it. According to BTG, privateer teams last year who were using the Cayman were suddenly upgraded to, “money-can't-buy factory-backed RSR 911s.”

HKS786

Guys,

Can't confirm date for definite but I believe this will be later half of 2009.

Based of what I have been told I think the belief that Audi aren't going to give the TT/RS anything more than 310hp is totally out the window, for this to 'out perform the rest of the line (RS)' I think closer to 350hp must be a sure thing.

The interesting think that has got my mind working over time is what sort of lap time is it capable of on tracks like Bedford and Hockenheim, I doubt it's ring time will approach the M3's 8:05 but you never know.

When more info is relayed to me you guys will be the first to know.
    Last edited by Leadfoot; April 21st, 2008 at 16:40.

Good to hear cause lets face it the TT S isn't really that much of a step up. Will look forward to hearing more about the TT RS.

i won't say anything - just a

i presume an I5 TFSI with 350 hp. too much of a gem to keep for one model. i'd assume it would go into the S4/S5.

i can't see it being faster than the R8 UNLESS they really go all out and save major weight on the front of the car and put the battery in the back AND give it a DSG.

with a regular manual tranny i can see it pulling real life magazine 0-60 times of about 4.7 seconds. the TTS still weighs about as much as an R8, remember that.

i'd venture porsche wasn't able to can this fish because it was too far along in development so they decided to put a little turbo in the cayman.

it'll be an interesting little car. can't wait to see it.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

RXBG,

Sorry to pick you up on some factual errors but the TT/S doesn't weigh as much as the R8. The TT/S weighs in at 1415Kgs compared to the R8 at 1560Kgs.

If the TT/RS matches the TT/S weight of 1415Kgs but offers 350hp that will mean on power to weight the TT/RS will be every bit the match of the R8 and on the gearbox front, yes it will have DSG as standard I believe.

I am dieing to hear what juicy specs the TT/RS will bring with it.

This all sounds very exciting. I hope the TTRS delivers as hoped for. I test drove a Carrera S today and the steering/road feel was extraordinary. Much better then anything ive experienced with the Current TTV6/SLK/M3. I really hope the TTRS can deliver on this front too.
    Truth In The Blacklist

good news then. though i suspect the TT RS will probably weigh in a bit more than the TT S given the larger engine and beefed up suspension. of course, if audi can increase the use of alum in the body this might offset things. from what i understand, however, the TTS is about alum intensive as the body can get. the steel/alum hybrid chassis on the base TT is not much different than the TTS's. and the core frame requires steel in order to maintain rigidity.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

According to my source Porsche were so impressed that the Cayman Turbo has been given the green light.

Even with their share in VW..Does porsche really know that much about the TTRS? Should they?

I hope the Cayman Turbo is a definate GO. That car with more punch would be really very impressive. More for the TTRS to compete with.
    Truth In The Blacklist

Sorry to burst your bubble but the TT-R will most likely not have transverse DSG/S-tronic, because it still can handle torque over 350 Nm.
    That's why the TT-S have a torque limit of 350 Nm and the Passat R36 a 350 Nm torque limiter while shifting gears.
    Audi could do the same with the TT-R but i doubt it they will.
    There are two opptions: one the TT-R will not have DSG/S-Tronic or: two Audi develop a new transverse S-Tronic that can handle more torque.

btw, the new 2.3 TFSI five cylinder engine can allready handle 380 hp without any problem's.

Jarod.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

i think AUDI saw that the DSG is the right way forward
    So it could also be possible - that they're developing a new Version of transverse-S-Tronic

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble but the TT-R will most likely not have transverse DSG/S-tronic, because it still can handle torque over 350 Nm.
    That's why the TT-S have a torque limit of 350 Nm and the Passat R36 a 350 Nm torque limiter while shifting gears.
    Audi could do the same with the TT-R but i doubt it they will.
    There are two opptions: one the TT-R will not have DSG/S-Tronic or: two Audi develop a new transverse S-Tronic that can handle more torque.

btw, the new 2.3 TFSI five cylinder engine can allready handle 380 hp without any problem's.

Jarod.
    Fully agree with you.

Future TT-R giving problem to facelifted 997 Carrera/Carrera S models that will be introduced next month? I truly do not think so...

Better to say that this facelifted 997s will give some serious problems to current R8... Few facts about facelifted 997s:

-Carrera 3.6L DFI 345hp
    -Carrera S 3.8L DFI 385hp
    -PDK(a la DSG) with 7 gears optional for both models
    -acceleration for Carrera S with PDK, 0-100km/h in 4.5s, 0-200km/h in 14.5s, that's faster then current R8
    -new improved suspension(PASM), they claim 5s better Ring time-that means again faster then R8
    -HD based Navi system

According to my source new 997 was intended to be faster in any situation then R8 in its Carrera S form. Porsche deliberately did that. Now, we have to ask ourself-what is the future of R8?
    Not to talk about fact that facelifted 997 GT3, GT3RS, Turbo and GT2 models are coming as well. All much improved with DFI engines and new suspension tune...

Bact OT... TT-R? We will see. BUT, judging from TT-S Ring time(Audi unofficial claim) I do not expect too much...
    And 5R engine is way more heavy then 4R. Yes, 5 pot soundtrack is very nice...

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    Fully agree with you.

Future TT-R giving problem to facelifted 997 Carrera/Carrera S models that will be introduced next month? I truly do not think so...

Better to say that this facelifted 997s will give some serious problems to current R8... Few facts about facelifted 997s:

-Carrera 3.6L DFI 345hp
    -Carrera S 3.8L DFI 385hp
    -PDK(a la DSG) with 7 gears optional for both models
    -acceleration for Carrera S with PDK, 0-100km/h in 4.5s, 0-200km/h in 14.5s, that's faster then current R8
    -new improved suspension(PASM), they claim 5s better Ring time-that means again faster then R8
    -HD based Navi system

According to my source new 997 was intended to be faster in any situation then R8 in its Carrera S form. Porsche deliberately did that. Now, we have to ask ourself-what is the future of R8?
    Not to talk about fact that facelifted 997 GT3, GT3RS, Turbo and GT2 models are coming as well. All much improved with DFI engines and new suspension tune...

Bact OT... TT-R? We will see. BUT, judging from TT-S Ring time(Audi unofficial claim) I do not expect too much...
    And 5R engine is way more heavy then 4R. Yes, 5 pot soundtrack is very nice...
    I too expect the R8 to be one of the fallers in the combining of brands (Porsche and VAG) but prior to the fazing out we will see something very special before this happens. I might add I hope Porsche see sense and dump the 911 instead of dumping the R8 as this old bird has out lived it's usefulness.

Back to the TT/RS, as per usual you are playing down Audi's models, first the RS6 which you said wouldn't be quicker than the M5 and yet it has been the case on every occasion so far. Now the TT/S and TT/RS are getting the dig, prior to any reviews of the products, firstly the TT/S, tell me what are you expecting from this model in terms of time at the ring? Frankly anything close to 10s slower than the 335/S5 times would be amazing from what is much less powerful car. I will be more interesting in it's Hockenheim time as horsepower is less of an issue here.

This obsession with times and acceleration only give bragging rights down at the pub, you highlight the R8's apparent slowness and yet on almost every track (minus the ring) it's quicker than all of it's priers, proving that in fact it's an exception handling car which masks it's lack of power and weight in a package which is more user friendly then about every other supercar in it's track-time bracket.

You sources seem to be playing down the TT/RS where as mine is doing the opposite, only time will tell which will be correct. I have faith knowing full well where the info is coming from.

Now can you say the same.

Leadie,

I just responded to your claim that 997(specially facefilted models) should watch out for TT-RS... Your claim was not very serious IMHO...

Regarding my source(you questioned it...) it is as reliable as possible(person works for quattro Gmbh in Neckarsulm-just that much...)... In fact he reads this forum few times a month and he told me:"...that some info fro deepthroats about future Audi models is truly funny. I mean NOT accurate at all." BTW, he also told me that most info from Pretender here is very accurate...

Regarding R8... I still love that car very much(and am waiting one myself), just look at owners reports on some other R8 dedicated forums... Opinions are not black or white... More greyish in average...
    My good friend from UK had a tons of problems with his R8. In the end he said in his recent phonecall that R8 is the last Audi that he bought...

Also your opinion on one M3 forum is somehow different then Audi enthusiasm that you present here on rs6.com... Do not get me wrong, I respect your opinion but, sometimes(or most of the times) you do not respect other people's opinion...

Also IMHO we are waisting way too much time here on future or upcoming models. Discussion or personal experience(drive impressions etc.) about current Audi models are always a welcome thing...

Oh... Last thing-RS6 Avant was tested by Auto Bild Sportscar edition against M5 Touring, Alpina B5S Touring and E63T... RS6 was the fastest one(0-200km/h in 14.1s... You are happy with that result I can get on it...)... Just despite fastes track time also on Oschersleben achived track time was nothing special... Almost the same result as S3... BTW, unofficial Audi Ring time for RS6 Avant is 8.11min with P Zeros...

I think the credibility of my source goes without question, the info I have passed to this site has been on the whole very accurate indeed.

The TT/RS WILL be something very special and it's note will hark back to the past, if you get my drift.

Remember how long along I informed of the S4 running a SC unit and that the TT/S would also be running a 4cyl engine against the amount of people stating it would be a 3.6L v6. My info on the RS6 was 100% accurate on which model would be launched first and why, plus all of the other info provided.

My problem with some of your comments is the negativity which is directed at the products and usually before they have even been tested, in a way you give the impression of trying to put people off them.

My problem with some of your comments is the negativity which is directed at the products and usually before they have even been tested, in a way you give the impression of trying to put people off them.
    NO, I am just giving people good sign of warning... Why? Little bit too high expectations...

Do you remember most rumors here about RS6 weight? Nobody(expect you, me and maybe only two other members) was thinking about more then 2000kgs... Everybody claimed that RS6 Avant will be max. 1900kgs... We now know the real figures...

My problem with your current Audi enthusiasm is that your present almost every new Audi model(or forthcoming one) as a "Holy Cow"...

I like Audis as well, but all Audi models are not the best cars in all segments... That is my personal opinion...