Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: She's here! (update- PICS!!!!!!)

Big Bummmer!!!!!!!

had to take the car to the dealer. today i noticed it would not allow me to shift into third gear. also, the shift lever was getting reaaaaaaaaallly hard and stiff- i couldn't move it from 1-2 or 2-3 without manhandling the thing. i had also noticed since pick up that the low gears would pop out once engaged and underway oncein a while- i thought it might be me. but no. luckily for me the 3rd gear failure took place on a saturday morning.

anyone else had this problem? seems like i am the first.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    had to take the car to the dealer. today i noticed it would not allow me to shift into third gear. also, the shift lever was getting reaaaaaaaaallly hard and stiff- i couldn't move it from 1-2 or 2-3 without manhandling the thing. i had also noticed since pick up that the low gears would pop out once engaged and underway oncein a while- i thought it might be me. but no. luckily for me the 3rd gear failure took place on a saturday morning.

Not good. Keep us informed.
    Truth In The Blacklist

Congrats on the R8, i dont think i could drive one well, for at least a week, i'd be to scared!
    Can't say i've ever heard of problems with the manual R8 gearbox as its used in lots of Audi's other cars, in various forms. Hopefully its something simple.
    But enjoy it anyway for all the advantages it has!

Very sad to read this, just hope this is the only problem you will have with that beauty!

Keep us informed!

Congrats on the car, but sucks to hear about the gearshift!

Whereabouts in Orlando are you? I spend a good 4-5 weeks out of the year up in Heathrow, any chance I'll get to see your car on my next trip up?

RXBG...Sorry to hear about your plight, hope all goes well with the diagnosis from the dealership. Currently, haven't experienced anything similar with mine. I will keep a keen eye out. Please keep us posted.
    Can appreciate your comments about staying focused while driving and concern about where you take it. You and your wife's observations I agree...definitely feels slower than what's on the clock.

hey guys. they say the crankshaft needs to be replaced. could it fail as a result of over aggressive factory break-in? how could it go unnoticed in QC checks? could it actually cause the symptoms i felt with the gear shift lever? it doesn't make sense to me.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

hey guys. they say the crankshaft needs to be replaced. could it fail as a result of over aggressive factory break-in? how could it go unnoticed in QC checks? could it actually cause the symptoms i felt with the gear shift lever? it doesn't make sense to me.
    I must say that I never heard about crankshaft problem in new car. I am very sorry about that...

Maybe you will even need a good lawyer since I would only except a replacement R8, not repaired car.

It is not a result of overly aggressive factory break-in IMHO. Possibly a case of bad material on your car(a lemon!)...

Again, very, very strange...

i got updated directly by the dealer. originally it was a call from R8 support- but he didn't use the right terms.

it's not the crankshaft, but a bushing that was too tight. apparently the bushing attaches the lever to a rod and there are two bushings and two rods- one for the left/right movement and one for the for/aft movement. one of these was too tight for some reason.

can a too stiff movement of the lever prevent the gear from engaging even if the lever is all the way in the cog? apart from the stiffness, the other problem i had was that the lever would not go all the way in the cog i chose sometimes and--- at one point, when i downshifted to get some engine braking- from 4th to 3rd- and the lever went all the way into the third gear cog, the car revved but there was no engine braking, almost as though it was in neutral.

i keep wanting to think it is a tranny isuue but the dealer says it isn't.

paranoia
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

i got updated directly by the dealer. originally it was a call from R8 support- but he didn't use the right terms.

it's not the crankshaft, but a bushing that was too tight. apparently the bushing attaches the lever to a rod and there are two bushings and two rods- one for the left/right movement and one for the for/aft movement. one of these was too tight for some reason.

can a too stiff movement of the lever prevent the gear from engaging even if the lever is all the way in the cog? apart from the stiffness, the other problem i had was that the lever would not go all the way in the cog i chose sometimes and--- at one point, when i downshifted to get some engine braking- from 4th to 3rd- and the lever went all the way into the third gear cog, the car revved but there was no engine braking, almost as though it was in neutral.

i keep wanting to think it is a tranny isuue but the dealer says it isn't.

paranoia
    What did they do? Loosen the bushing? Did they replace it due to the stress that Audi QC and you put on it. Seems like a strange issue. Was thinking the flywheel could be the problem. Is this happening when driving the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Damienr8 View Post
    What did they do? Loosen the bushing? Did they replace it due to the stress that Audi QC and you put on it. Seems like a strange issue. Was thinking the flywheel could be the problem. Is this happening when driving the car?
    it was happening with the car being driven or not. yes, they're replacing with an overnighted part. not sure if both or just one bushing.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Dear RXBG,

i would assume your local Dealer did not re-attach the missing Shiftknob the way it is supposed to. Actually this mishandling is known and should not have happened to a trained staff. A normal procedure essentially, to make sure the linkage is "free runing", firm but not too tight.

I would like to eliminate all doubt that this fault passed the quality management.

If there is any need to co-assist, let me know.

Qisha

hi qisha. the shiftknob was attached at the port in the USA. the car was loaded onto the ship in europe without it and i was told records show that.

however, i do not see how attaching a shift knob could affect the shift lever movement. the shift knob is just the piece on top of the lever and it seems to simply screw onto the lever.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Dear RXBG,

it sadly happens that the "sneakers" do not care about screwing or carefull "apart taking". With force it can lead to your description.

Qisha

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Dear RXBG,

it sadly happens that the "sneakers" do not care about screwing or carefull "apart taking". With force it can lead to your description.

Qisha
    really? i am unfamiliar with the assembly of the knob, but i trust what you say.

at this point i am thinking positive and am just looking forward to getting my baby back. i do plan on driving her hard with the tech before i take her home. i will not take her home unless she absolutely perfect.

Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

really? i am unfamiliar with the assembly of the knob, but i trust what you say.

at this point i am thinking positive and am just looking forward to getting my baby back. i do plan on driving her hard with the tech before i take her home. i will not take her home unless she absolutely perfect.

Good Stuff, hope everything works out well.

hellooooooooooooooooooooo! guess who's back!!!!!!!!!!!!

picked her up today. one bearing change later the car is like a completely new animal. i can actually DRIVE it now. it is an awesome piece of kit as those crazy brits like to say. day one of ownership actually started today since i actually felt comfortable driving it.

i took a small vid. i need to find a way to upload to the net. hopefully this will be a nice wknd and i can post some pics.

waiting CF blade to get in and then those will be going on. perhaps i'll wait on the pics till she is complete!

love,

RXBG
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

That's great news, wish you a lot of fun!
    Get out and drive