Thread: My car will not shut up!!!

My car will not shut up!!!

Alright heres the deal, when I am driving around the city my whole ceter console(arm rest to the ash tray) just consently squeaks. This is starting to drive me nuts. I could take it to the dealer and pay them 50$ to just look at it....but I wanted some oppinouns. Anyone had this problem in there rs6.

yeah man drives me crazy it justy shut up one day by itself
    ***Big Drew***

Re:Vision Auto Salon
    Revisionauto.com
    801 E. Gude Dr
    Rockville MD 20850

Remember to pray to the car gods daily

I am reporting you for cruetly to mice.......
    So fast, it will re-arrange yer trousers!!

Rattles and squealing will always appear in these cars. My Audi, my BMW, and my Benz all have these issues. Mostly in the winter it seems because spaces apparently appear, and things have more room to move. In the summer, it seems to expand to fill all spaces, and squeals mostly disappear.

Ok, on with the real stuff now. First thing is to ensure that indeed it is coming from where you believe it to be. Always helps if you can find someone to listen while you drive, and diagnose.

What you need. A bottle of silicone spray from local auto parts store. A clean rag. Spray the silicone on the rag to apply it.

Spots to apply:
    1. The rubber seal on all doors. This is well known spot where the rubbers create friction, and a squeal will appear when going over uneven pavement. Simply apply the silicone spray to the clean rag, and go over the whole rubber seal. Main part is the corner by the B-pillar.

2. The sides on the glove compartment. That plastic or leather on the sides can rub and cause squealing as well. Simply apply the spray to the clean rag, and rub on the edges that make contact.

3. (By Aronis): The seat belt socked on both sides of each seat rub against center console. I went to local hardware store, grabbed a couple of those stick on felt circles, and applied to the side of the socket that makes contact with center console. You can get a stick felt strip as well, as this is what came in my previous Audi. All I could find was the circles, and they did the job just as well. Being that it is black felt, it is almost invisible.

Good luck finding your squeal.
    Last edited by nene; March 16th, 2008 at 20:53.

the seat belt socket rubs against the center consol. There is a cover over part of it that wears off....since Your seat belt is on (assuming) the drivers side does not rub, but the empty passenger seat the belt socket is free to flex toward the center consol and rub/squeak....

apply as Nene says above..

Mike

or kill the mouse.......
    So fast, it will re-arrange yer trousers!!

Quote Originally Posted by CinciRS6 View Post
    I could take it to the dealer and pay them 50$ to just look at it....
    Or you could turn the stereo up.

Just do what I do, open the window and go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Z07 View Post
    Or you could turn the stereo up.
    I tried that for the headliner squeek in first Audi 2000 A6 4.2 Sport. That noise drove me nuts. Fixed it with a small spunge between the headliner and roof frame.

Mike

RS did not have that noise.

hey Nene, I though there was a time limit on post edits? You cheated. LOL.

Mike

I did give you credit though. Figured it was such a good tip, I had to add it to my post too.

Does anyone get a rattle from the rear deck/trunk? I have removed everything and the noise still remains. And as you know the dealer will say they couldn't replicate the noise and never even check. I have no idea what it could be.
    Always looking out for new info....

2003 RS6 Dahlback Racing DV's/K&N filters/Hyper Ground System/H-Sport Sway Bar/ - Revo Flash
    2007 Q7 4.2
    2004 A4 1.8T GIAC/B&M SS/ITG filter/AWE DV

Ive got a squeak (more like a creaking sound) coming from the right rear, I though initially it might be the DRC, but if I ride with the right rear seatback down, it doesnt squeak anymore. I havent been able to make any adjustments yet, so I ride with the seatback down.

BTW Aronis, I had the headliner squeak. I shoved two quarters inbetween the headliner and roof during a roadtrip cause I couldnt take it anymore. I like your fix better, but at least I'll always have 50 cents if I need it.

If its really a rattle from the passenger rear (that you cannot locate) well it was driving me insane...picking up the car today but it was my DRC central valves it seems as all four of my shocks were leaking. They are located back there somewhere but sounded as if it was in the rear door or the rear seat loose or the battery cover....none of the above when I looked at it all more than once. The rattle occured when I hit closely spaced light bumps.

Trying the felt trick on the passenger seat belt anchor as soon as I find some black stuff...that mouse drives me nuts when i have a passenger. Have done the door seals with the silicon. Works great. Had squeak at top at turn in frame near A pillar. Been a year now squeak free.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet