Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RS6 Vs M5 ams

RS6 Vs M5 ams

Some quotings from Swedish test!

"In every exit out of corners in second gear, the RS6 does what everyone is talking about, it just disapears. It just disapears"

"The RS6 disapears away from the M5 in the horizon acting criminally good for a 2,1 ton estate"

"The M5 engine is still the king, turbos can't match the adrenalin of 8250 rpm"

Cunclusion: "The M5 needs a better gearbox and AWD"

I have a BMW friend and he swears by the M5 i know its fast but i told him wait till the compairisons start between the 2 and i know the rs6 is just going to walk away
    ***Big Drew***

Re:Vision Auto Salon
    Revisionauto.com
    801 E. Gude Dr
    Rockville MD 20850

Remember to pray to the car gods daily

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted-Bora View Post
    I have a BMW friend and he swears by the M5 i know its fast but i told him wait till the compairisons start between the 2 and i know the rs6 is just going to walk away
    yep for sure....and just wait till we see the first chips pop up....

Quote Originally Posted by jonas21 View Post
    yep for sure....and just wait till we see the first chips pop up....
    Oh I know susposedly rumor has it that MTM has been develping a chip that will take the car to near 700bhp and tq
    ***Big Drew***

Revisionauto.com
    801 E. Gude Dr
    Rockville MD 20850

Whatsup! I'm the friend that swears by BMW, and Drew- as you said...this is ONE test, correct? And which M5/RS6 combo are we speaking about, C5-C6?? E39, E60? Someone clearify.

Quote Originally Posted by buyalemon View Post
    Some quotings from Swedish test!

"In every exit out of corners in second gear, the RS6 does what everyone is talking about, it just disapears. It just disapears"

"The RS6 disapears away from the M5 in the horizon acting criminally good for a 2,1 ton estate"

"The M5 engine is still the king, turbos can't match the adrenalin of 8250 rpm"

Cunclusion: "The M5 needs a better gearbox and AWD"

One thing, I've never KNOCKED the RS6 but its claim for a high speed STRIGHTLINE car is all that I'll give it. I've seen numerous videos the RS6 beating the M5 (C5 v E39), although I've seen videos of M5s staying next to the cars. People who make videos maybe can't drive? Maybe the weather isn't to the RS6s standards...who knows! The RS6 is more torquey, and "faster"- and one hell of a car. But, BMWs are made to be curvey monsters. ..I mean I'm just curious to know, what happened to your B7 RS4 when the E92 M3 came out? Ok. Just as Big Drew above- Coils are NECCESARY to match an M5's Athleticism via the curves. That its about. You wanna race a car straight line? Ok, then do the American thing as I said. RS cars are supposed to be a suttle mix of AMG & ///M, not SRT & the Z branded Chevies.

Friendly argument, and happy to be on this forum- I've seen some pretty cars on this website..

I would love to voice my opinion on this debate that might turn out to be the closest in reality.

The RS6 will be little or no quicker in a setup airfield rolling start acceleration race and this is because you have lost any advantage of awd plus it's auto can't shift as quick as the M5's SMG and it's only got 6gears instead of the M5's 7speeds (tighter stacked for best acceleration). But when things move from the airfield to the road the RS6 will simply walk away into the distance because of the advantage it will have putting all of it's power to the surface, especially coming out of corners, no doubt it's extra weight will be a burden going into the corner and on this the M5 will be able to steal back some of those lost yards but it's can't put all of it's 507ps to the surface anything like the RS6 can and it's got even more of it.

So while we will see videos from the likes of M6BOARD.COM showing the M5 is indeed the match for the RS6 in outright acceleration from a 50km/h rolling start, the reality is that this is the only area where their overall performances will match.

P.S.
    The M5 will also have better directional change and will feel a lot more nimble but it's no longer the king of the road.

Sorry [M3noDRFT] for this reality check.
    Search and you will find the truth.

I agree with leadie on this and i think it is well stated that without a doubt the m5 will be equal from a roll just as me and [m3nodrft] are but off the line and on the road the m5 will have no chance.
    ***Big Drew***

Revisionauto.com
    801 E. Gude Dr
    Rockville MD 20850

I agree with leadie on this and i think it is well stated that without a doubt the m5 will be equal from a roll just as me and [m3nodrft] are but off the line and on the road the m5 will have no chance.
    I never doubted that the RS6 is an overfall faster car on the road. All I'm stating is through a series of curves, The M5 will prevail. This is atleast what I think. I KNOW the new RS6 is faster than the M5, NO doubt. My point is, that the M5 is a better handling car, just because of the fact it is nimble. I'm saying, the claim to fame is that the RS6 is 'faster', but my point is who cares? Yes it is a family sedan/avant which you can have your kids in, and beat a SRT 10 Viper. Amazing, but then...what happens when your racing a car through the twisties? The C5 RS6 personally isn't the best handling car, it pulls through turns due to the fact it does have Quattro- other than that...I don't think it attacks curves as it should, body roll and too soft of a suspension. This is what I'm reffering to, I doubt they stiffened up the new one just due to the fact they still wanted to retain a luxury style ride quality (E55 esque). Of course it will have more of a sportier ride than any A6, thats just obvious. Perhaps if the C6 was as stiff as the RS4, then the M5 would be completley SOL. For a four year old car, it still hangs.

Although, C6 RS6 on coils=

The new RS6 will still roll slightly as most cars do but it's a vast improvement to that of the old RS6 and should be pretty close to the M5 in both slalom and lateral grip, the latter it might even edge ahead. But like I said you will have to enter the corner slightly slower than the M5 due to the extra frontal weight.

Another secret in the arsenal of the RS6 is the gearbox, this is a brilliant automatic and is much better than the SMG in the M5. When BMW finally fit it's version of the DSG then the M5 may be a transformed car but in present form it's not the best example of 'M///' ness.

Banned
    why don't you want some real tests with acceleration number and latteral grip, dyno's and so and speculate something that you even don't know a thing about. did any of you drove the car?i thought so... wait for the test and banned stupid idiots who speculate against RS6, the reality will be much much sweeter than anybody thougt ever.

all i can say is we will see and unless the rs6 comes to the states my argument is null in void as the m5 will still be the king of the road (here at least)
    ***Big Drew***

Revisionauto.com
    801 E. Gude Dr
    Rockville MD 20850

Quote Originally Posted by IhateRWD View Post
    why don't you want some real tests with acceleration number and latteral grip, dyno's and so and speculate something that you even don't know a thing about. did any of you drove the car?i thought so... wait for the test and banned stupid idiots who speculate against RS6, the reality will be much much sweeter than anybody thougt ever.

Wow calm down. No need to catch feelings over a piece of metal and four wheels. Its a forum, and a friendly argument.

"Sweeter than anybody thought ever". What a biased opinion haha! How can you sit here and ask me if I've ever driven an RS6 and then say its sweeter then any thing ever. Have you driven the RS6? I thought so.
    Last edited by [M3noDRFT]; February 15th, 2008 at 23:55.

Quote Originally Posted by IhateRWD View Post
    Am I the only one here struggling to understand what SuperStar is talking about since he returned, not that it was that understandable before he was banned.

As the man would say 'WTF'

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    The new RS6 will still roll slightly as most cars do but it's a vast improvement to that of the old RS6 and should be pretty close to the M5 in both slalom and lateral grip, the latter it might even edge ahead. But like I said you will have to enter the corner slightly slower than the M5 due to the extra frontal weight.

Another secret in the arsenal of the RS6 is the gearbox, this is a brilliant automatic and is much better than the SMG in the M5. When BMW finally fit it's version of the DSG then the M5 may be a transformed car but in present form it's not the best example of 'M///' ness.

Audi's DSG is amazing, I'll admit that. SMG I & II suck IMO. SMG isn't fun to me. Thats another thing about the RS6- its automatic . That is so annoying, I understand there is specific reasoning why it is automatic, but God, oh so boring. ///M is creating DCT in the E92 M3 just because SMG was pretty clunky & IMO not efficient. Yes faster than manual- but nothing beats making your own mistakes

Yes, DSG is amazing and from the info being leaked it looks like the future 7sp version will be even better. I think DSG and the equivalent are the future of both automatic and manual gearboxes, well at least until something new springs up to take the crown.

Quote Originally Posted by [M3noDRFT] View Post
    I never doubted that the RS6 is an overfall faster car on the road. All I'm stating is through a series of curves, The M5 will prevail. This is atleast what I think.
    this is not what chris harris for autocar (uk) found in the latest issue pitting the rs6 against the m5. he states that, on a dry and twisty road, the rs6 is unbeatable. the test is posted on this board.
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

I think that this Has certainly proved one thing, your either a beemerman or an Audiman, you can appreciate fantastic engineering on both sides, but you dont want to be beaten by the other!

I suppose we must wait for the definitive "TOP GEAR TEST" to take place and let the mighty Stig loose on it!

Me. I am sittin on the fence... Looking at my RS6
    So fast, it will re-arrange yer trousers!!

How does it stack up against the E63?
    " I Am A Driving God! "