Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 290ps. Petrol or Diesel ??

290ps. Petrol or Diesel ??

New engine to debut in the A6 from August this year.

3 litre
    290ps
    engine code CAJ

Can anyone else fill in anymore details?

Is this Audi answer to the 535D?

I believe Leadfoot hinted at an engine of this sort a couple of months ago.

p.s not being listed for A4 yet

its the 3.0l diesel. i expected minimum 300ps. iam a bit unhappy. just 4 ps difference between 535d and this engine. and then they need the engine in A4 too to compete with 335d too. but how i know audi, they wouldnt do it.
    ~~~And God did ask the stones... wants their Quattro to drive... the stones answered..." no we´re not hard enough".~~~

That is new 3.0 TDI (biturbo) ...

Quote Originally Posted by tvrfan View Post
    its the 3.0l diesel. i expected minimum 300ps. iam a bit unhappy. just 4 ps difference between 535d and this engine. and then they need the engine in A4 too to compete with 335d too. but how i know audi, they wouldnt do it.
    You would never, ever feel a difference between 290 and 300 horsepower with anything but a dyno.

290 hp 3.0TDI should be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateknight View Post

3 litre
    290ps
    engine code CAJ

I actually hinted about a year ago but who's counting.

Anyway, not in the A4 as of yet because it's due to be seen in the Q5 first, this I believe as a sort of S/RS model and then will be seen in both the A4 and A5 though again it maybe more as a sporty model in each range.

I believe it will pave the way to a range of S/RS models in the future, all based around diesels, but only time will tell if this actually comes about.

P.S.

The engine is capable of so much more.
    Last edited by Leadfoot; February 8th, 2008 at 12:05.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Highly interesting; any ideas yet regarding this engine in the A6 (torque, available with manual gearbox, acceleration...) as well as expected price levels and production start? This sounds like an excellent alternative to the 4.2FSI I was contemplating...

Many thanks - Marc

Quote Originally Posted by FastLane View Post
    Highly interesting; any ideas yet regarding this engine in the A6 (torque, available with manual gearbox, acceleration...) as well as expected price levels and production start? This sounds like an excellent alternative to the 4.2FSI I was contemplating...

Many thanks - Marc
    Expect similar performance to that of the 535d. When the engine makes it into the A5 you can expect an acceleration time 0-60mph of 5.4s and in-gear times well ahead of the S5 in the sectors up to 90mph. This will be the model to have in each of the respective ranges.

This engine will propably be offered with Tiptronic only, no manual

I heard somewhere (maybe on this forum!) that this TDI has a new cylinder block making it lighter than the current 3.0 V6 TDI - can anyone confirm this. If the weight comes down closer to the 3.2 FSI then this really will be a storming engine - even better if the new longitudinal S-Tronic can work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    I heard somewhere (maybe on this forum!) that this TDI has a new cylinder block making it lighter than the current 3.0 V6 TDI - can anyone confirm this. If the weight comes down closer to the 3.2 FSI then this really will be a storming engine - even better if the new longitudinal S-Tronic can work with it.
    Don't know about the block, I didn;t see that one here, but it certanly sounds good, I would be happy if that is true...

When it comes to S-tronic, I don't expect it in this car, but as we seen hundred times so far, you never know with Audi...

I have went over some of my correspondence (a lot of the early stuff I deleted) and I can't find the reference to the lightness of the engine, though I do remember the hint that it was different to the current v6TDi and this might be a reference to the weight.

One thing I do know is that the future S/Tronic will be able to handle the torque that this engine and more powerful ones can throw at it.

What tourque figures can we expect from this engine..., 600 Nm at least, I presume...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    What tourque figures can we expect from this engine..., 600 Nm at least, I presume...
    Never heard figures only that it would be more than the equivalent BWM. I do recall though that if the engine was to be used in a S/RS model that it's performance would be almost on par with it's petrol cousin.

I really hope this engine makes it into the new S4. Aside from being a superb engine it should keep the car below 225g/km CO2 which is an important tax threshold in the UK and will become even more important in the future especially if the London mayor puts the daily tax up to GBP25 for cars over this limit.

Incidentally both the BMW 335i and 335d come in below 225g/km. I can't see the petrol S4 doing this - the 3.2 FSI is already at 219g/km for the new A4.

I really hope this engine makes it into the new S4. Aside from being a superb engine it should keep the car below 225g/km CO2 which is an important tax threshold in the UK and will become even more important in the future especially if the London mayor puts the daily tax up to GBP25 for cars over this limit.

Incidentally both the BMW 335i and 335d come in below 225g/km. I can't see the petrol S4 doing this - the 3.2 FSI is already at 219g/km for the new A4.
    Yes. The 335d has as low as 177g/km
    (then put the ziptunings chip 330/710, earlier 730)

3 litre
    290ps
    engine code CAJ

Now listed as introduction in October 2008.

Now listed as introduction in October 2008.
    I believe the Q5 will get the engine first and will also be shown with the new DSG and sports diff.

If I am wrong then please erase from memory as I will deny everything.

now i think its the detuned version of the new B8 S4 engine. because for the A6 facelift it was said, that it will have the same engine but lesser hp. i think thats it. the diesel 3.0 will have 300hp i think.
    ~~~And God did ask the stones... wants their Quattro to drive... the stones answered..." no we´re not hard enough".~~~