Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TT RS 2.3 FSI R5 Super or Twincharger. ?

TT RS 2.3 FSI R5 Super or Twincharger. ?

Is it possible Audi will develop a 310 hp 2.3 FSI R5 Super or Twincharger engine for the TT RS.
    Based on the new S4 kompressor rumours it look like everything is possible.

And with the 2.0TFSI turbo lag in mind it's the way to go IMHO.

Jarod.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    Is it possible Audi will develop a 310 hp 2.3 FSI R5 Super or Twincharger engine for the TT RS.
    Based on the new S4 kompressor rumours it look like everything is possible.

And with the 2.0TFSI turbo lag in mind it's the way to go IMHO.

Jarod.
    I like to idea of it all and who knows.

Well almost everything apart form the output you insist on sticking to.
    Search and you will find the truth.

I heard, and I don't know is it possible, that Audi is keeping power ''down'' on the 310 hp, 'couse of the R8 threat performance of future TT RS.

Sure it is possible, but I'm wondering if keeping the distance to the R8 is reason enough for Audi to retreat from that segment and let the next Z4M or the current SLK 55 own the prestigious top segment while an TT-RS with close to 300bhp would be nothing more than what the TTS should have been.

Sure it would be a nice gift for R8 customers, but shouldn't they be encouraged to get the V12 model anyway to have a car faster than the RS6?

What if...
    the TT-R gets a Twin Turbocharged version of the 2 liter TT-S??I don't think we've discussed that yet. Turbo lag could be greatly aminorated by this solution.

Cheers all

Not really sure if a 2l engine would appeal to the same people that consider buying an SLK 55. You can probably get 350 hp from the 1.4l engine of the Rabbit as well, but why should you do that in this price range?

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaS6 View Post
    Not really sure if a 2l engine would appeal to the same people that consider buying an SLK 55. You can probably get 350 hp from the 1.4l engine of the Rabbit as well, but why should you do that in this price range?
    Good point, I thought of it because usually audi uses in their RS model a more powerful(and in some casesi.e.RS6) a TT version of the engine offered on their S models.

What's the price of a TT-S?

I think with this S model they ruined that path

TTS starts at 45k euros.

VW/Audi has a 2.5 inline 5 engine block. Audi can easily make 265 horsepower from 2 liters. The TT-RS should have 350+ hp easily.

I don't know it there's an economic case to be made for making extensive changes to the 5cyl (some sources even say the discontinued VR5), when they already have productions lines with capable engines. I say a twin charged 4cyl is a safer bet.

The new EA888 generation of the 4cyl family has a incorporated a whole bunch of technical advancements. (article about that) There would be no resources to offer the same kind of level of technology in the 5cyl.
    They would also have to go through a lot of trouble to incorporate the 5cyl, which was made as a base engine for the USA market, into the TT production. Aside from prepping the block for forced induction.

On the other hand, this is the company that brought us the Passat W8, so who knows.
    Mazda MX-5 (Miata NB)

Quattro GmbH Managing Director "Werner Frowein" have allready confirmted that they are developing a 310 hp 2.3 litre 5 cylinder engine.
    The question is wat kind/type of 5 cylinder.

1) a distribution chain and FSI by development old 315 hp RS2 (2226cc) engine.
    2) A TFSI by development old VW 2.3 liter VR5 engine.
    3) A new 2.3 litre inline five cylinder based on the new 1.8 TFSI Engine, R4 1798cc : 4 = 449.5cc x 5 = R5 2247.5cc. (2.3 litre) ?

Jarod.

Quattro GmbH Managing Director "Werner Frowein" have allready confirmted that they are developing a 310 hp 2.3 litre 5 cylinder engine.
    I don't see yet why this leaves only the RS as recipent for this engine. Don't they have to find a successor to the old 3.2 in the near future as well?

Btw, wouldn't a supercharger mean the car is unchipable compared to a turbo? So the TTS with a chip would be faster than that RS could ever be. Doesn't make sense imo.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterJohn View Post
    I don't know it there's an economic case to be made for making extensive changes to the 5cyl (some sources even say the discontinued VR5), when they already have productions lines with capable engines. I say a twin charged 4cyl is a safer bet.
    So iyo it would be best if the entry model would have a 2l 4pot, the TTS would have a 2l 4pot and the RS would have a 2l 4pot? So they'd just have to replace the old 3.2 with a downtuned 2l 4pot and you'll have the first lineup in modern car history that only offers one engine, from the 30k euro model to the 65k euro model

Jarod.
    While I welcome such a confirmation that the TT/RS will be definitely built and that it's getting a 5cylinder engine I am a little disappointed that when they have already tested up to 375hp in development that they settle for something producing only 310hp.

Such a small increase will only achieve a slight improvement in performance, a definite improvement of exhaust note but neither would make me run out and buy one unless it was at least the equal to the Z4M or SLK55 in performance terms. I don't doubt it will be amazing in the handling department but an RS model has to be more than just a pretty face and a fine handler, it should also walk the walk on the Autobahn.

The only saving grace at the moment is that we don't know the objective regarding it's projected weight, if Audi could shave off a 80~100kgs off the TT/S weight then it might be in with a shout at taking top honours in the acceleration stakes but something I doubt even QuattroGmbH could produce a miracle like that when the car is already made from aluminium.
    Search and you will find the truth.

"SigmaS6" raise a interesting point now i think a little longer about it.

The 250 hp 3.2 VR6 need to be replaced in the near future.
    The 300 hp 3.6 FSI (Passat R36) engine get seen as a to heavy engine.

Based on this it's possible Audi develop a new 310 hp 2.3 liter inline five cylinder engine to replace the heavy VR6 engine's.
    A 310 hp TT 2.3TFSI Quattro make sence.
    The TTS is the sport version of the 2.0TFSI TT and the TT-RS can be the future sport version of the TT 2.3 Quattro.
    If the TTS can get a 36% power hike over the base 200 hp 2.0TFSI engine, the TT-RS can get a 36% power hike over the base 310 hp 2.3TFSI engine.

Testing a 310 hp engine with 375 hp is only nesseary for engine internal's (Crankshaft, rod's, piston's and bearing's) testing to get a reliable engine.
    It not mean the production engine will get that much power.

Jarod.

As much as i would like to be proven wrong i still dont think the TTRS will get ~350hp even if the SLK55 and Z4M have similar outputs.

Remember the Cayman only has 250HP and Cayman S has 295HP. If the TTS had recieved a greater power hike over the base TT3.2 i may have thought otherwise but it appears HP isnt what the TT is about for Audi.

Will wait and see.
    Truth In The Blacklist

The question is wat kind/type of 5 cylinder.

1) a distribution chain and FSI by development old 315 hp RS2 (2226cc) engine.
    2) A TFSI by development old VW 2.3 liter VR5 engine.
    3) A new 2.3 litre inline five cylinder based on the new 1.8 TFSI Engine, R4 1798cc : 4 = 449.5cc x 5 = R5 2247.5cc. (2.3 litre) ?

Jarod.
    I stand corrected.

I'll take option 3, then. The 1.8T is a marvel. The first of the EA888 generation.
    Mazda MX-5 (Miata NB)

The Porsche has a different focus imo, at least 50% of it's value is based on prestige, not on real world performance. An RS4 beats a Carrera 4S performancewise as well, so that didn't seem to be a problem for the Qattro GmbH in the past.