S5 Supertest in Sport Auto

Nordschleife 8:24min

Hockenheim 1:18,8min

19" wheels...

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    Nordschleife 8:24min

Hockenheim 1:18,8min

19" wheels...
    Any chance of posting the pictures from the magazine and how these results compare to the direct competition around it. Oh and if possible please post the RS4, C63 and M3 times as well just to see how much slower it is compared to these cars.

Thanks.
    Search and you will find the truth.

a bit disapointing I expected a bit better...

Quote Originally Posted by Fab View Post
    a bit disapointing I expected a bit better...
    Agreed as it was hinted to me that it was capable of better than 8:20, I am wanting to see what the track conditions were like before losing heart completely.

Track conditions are key obviously. Also it appeared that first ring chronos were "far" from the best capable car time such are R8, RS4, etc... We can objectively expect a bit better in the near future I supose.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Any chance of posting the pictures from the magazine and how these results compare to the direct competition around it. Oh and if possible please post the RS4, C63 and M3 times as well just to see how much slower it is compared to these cars.

Thanks.
    Leadie,

I do not have scans yet...

Competitors? Here they are:

BMW 335i Coupe(manual)
    Ring 8:26min
    Hockenheim 1:17,8min

Porsche Cayman S(19", PASM, PCCB)
    Ring 8:25min
    Hockenheim 1:15,9min

Not(IMHO) competitors:

BMW M3 Coupe(19" Michelin Cup+, 280km/h limiter)
    Ring 8:05min
    Hockenheim 1:14,3min
    BTW, Hockenheim 1:15,4min with standard 18" Michelin PS2

Audi RS4 Saloon(19" Corsas, 280km/h limiter, SS+)
    Ring 8:09min
    Hockenheim 1:15,4min

Here are few Hockenheim times only by Sport Auto as well as comparison...

Audi TT 2.0TFSI(Magnetic Ride, 18") 1:18,8min
    Audi S6(19") 1:18,8min

Mercedes C63 AMG not yet officially tested by Sport Auto but, as a hint for you slower then M3 in full attack mode version(19", 030 Package with LSD, Corsa tirres and 280km/h limiter)...

Quote Originally Posted by Fab View Post
    Track conditions are key obviously. Also it appeared that first ring chronos were "far" from the best capable car time such are R8, RS4, etc... We can objectively expect a bit better in the near future I supose.
    Track conditions were almost the same as on RS4 Supertest...

fine thanks for the info

which means the time can potentially be slightly better on any future re-attempt

Few typos from me:

S5 Ring time is 8:26min-sorry Leadie... Weight is 1722kg...
    BUT, Hockenheim time with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 is 1:17,2min! 1:18,8min time is with Dunlop Sport Maxx tires...

BMW 335i Ring time is 8:26min as well.

Pretty much what I expected, thanks for the info!

Few typos from me:

S5 Ring time is 8:26min-sorry Leadie... Weight is 1722kg...
    BUT, Hockenheim time with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 is 1:17,2min! 1:18,8min time is with Dunlop Sport Maxx tires...

BMW 335i Ring time is 8:26min as well.
    Thanks mate,

I am still surprised at it's ring time based on what I have been told internally, but I suppose the same was true for the RS4 and R8 which also produced way better times in the hand of Audi test drivers why should the S5 have been any different.

Have you any idea on the track conditions for both tracks at the time of the test?

P.S.

There is a hack of a difference between the Dunlops and the Michelins, I know one is the special rubber but still that is quite a difference. Does anyone know if that is an opinion over in the UK or not as I think given the choise I would pick it.

Maybe Qisha or Lateknight might know what is stock in the UK.

Decent numbers as a starting point for the RS5 I say - but the chosen concept really determines what we can expect from it. Light and responsive N/A engine and focus on making the most of a challenging basis chassis (still 57.5% over front axle) ala RS4 or bloated straightline turbo hammer ala RS6? Time will tell...

Quote Originally Posted by QuattroFun View Post
    Decent numbers as a starting point for the RS5 I say - but the chosen concept really determines what we can expect from it. Light and responsive N/A engine and focus on making the most of a challenging basis chassis (still 57.5% over front axle) ala RS4 or bloated straightline turbo hammer ala RS6? Time will tell...
    I was under the impression that the S5 had a 56~56.5% over the front axle. Clearly I was wrong sad to say.

Still that is an improve over the 61% from the RS4, so maybe with this improvement we can expect great things because the improvement the S5 has made against the old S4 with regards to feel and balance (though not much in lap times) should means it will be a better driver's car than ever before.

I was under the impression that the S5 had a 56~56.5% over the front axle. Clearly I was wrong sad to say.

Still that is an improve over the 61% from the RS4, so maybe with this improvement we can expect great things because the improvement the S5 has made against the old S4 with regards to feel and balance (though not much in lap times) should means it will be a better driver's car than ever before.
    All true - but focus is the key here. The RS6 biturbo 5L V10 engine weighs 278kg vs. 220kg for S6 5.2L V10 - ceteris paribus, this extra 58kg translates into almost 3%-points of extra weight all over the front axle. It takes a lot of chassis work just to offset this frontloaded weight handicap. Just imagine what the new RS6 could have done dynamically with the new sport differential, a proper diet and a much lighter 4L V8 biturbo hanging over the front wheels...
    Last edited by QuattroFun; December 22nd, 2007 at 20:13. Reason: typo

Thanks mate,

I am still surprised at it's ring time based on what I have been told internally, but I suppose the same was true for the RS4 and R8 which also produced way better times in the hand of Audi test drivers why should the S5 have been any different.

Have you any idea on the track conditions for both tracks at the time of the test?

P.S.

There is a hack of a difference between the Dunlops and the Michelins, I know one is the special rubber but still that is quite a difference. Does anyone know if that is an opinion over in the UK or not as I think given the choise I would pick it.

Maybe Qisha or Lateknight might know what is stock in the UK.

Hockenheim track conditions were 10 Degree Celsius ambient temperature and 18 Degree Celsius tarmac temperature.

Regarding tires choice for S5 there is a "Miracle" tire for S5-new Pirelli P Zero The Hero(the same one that are standard on R8) in 255/35-19 dimension. With this tires S5 is capable to reach 8.20min on the Ring in right hands. Also Hockenheim time is around low 1:16,Xmin with new P Zeros...

It is the shame that 99% of all S5 are equiped with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx since both Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and Pirelli P Zero The Hero are much better tires and with Michelin and Pirelli(specially!) S5 is much less prone to understeer.

Hockenheim track conditions were 10 Degree Celsius ambient temperature and 18 Degree Celsius tarmac temperature.

Regarding tires choice for S5 there is a "Miracle" tire for S5-new Pirelli P Zero The Hero(the same one that are standard on R8) in 255/35-19 dimension. With this tires S5 is capable to reach 8.20min on the Ring in right hands. Also Hockenheim time is around low 1:16,Xmin with new P Zeros...

It is the shame that 99% of all S5 are equiped with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx since both Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and Pirelli P Zero The Hero are much better tires and with Michelin and Pirelli(specially!) S5 is much less prone to understeer.
    Very informative stuff all this, big thanks! As always I might say!

Oh if only I had knew about these Pirelli P Zero tyres earlier I reckon I could have put the squeeze on the dealer for a set at the time of ordering but it's too late now.

Scans are over here

`