Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we start a ECU/TCU Sticky Thread?

Can we start a ECU/TCU Sticky Thread?

We all see a lot of posts about ECU/TCU upgrade options and I personally would like to see as much feedback from RS6 owners about personal experience and feedback both positive and negative in real-world environments. If this was all located in one place or in an FAQ somewhere that would be a great asset to us all.

Can we set up an open thread about MTM, GIAC, Revo, O.TC, APR (any I am missing)? Perhaps an open invitation to owners to provide feedback on the chip they have installed with any performance numbers (Dynos, seat of the pants), manufacturer support, malfunctions etc?

Here is a copy of a reply post I made in another thread:

Hmm, I don't have any reference point on APR. The ability to change the programs is appealing since I also use this as my business ride and want to conserve fuel for long distance trips around the Southeast and also have a nice smooth feel when clients are riding in the car with me. I heard that the ECU/TCU upgrades make throttle response a bit touchy. Is that the case with O.TC?

APR wants $2800+ installation. I was going to drive to Auburn, AL and have the factory install it thinking they know best and it is only about a 3 hour drive from Atlanta.

Maybe I should reconsider this. I can't seem to get an exact read on MTM vs. GIAC vs. O.TC (forgot about that one actually) vs. APR

APR has the features I want and are (sort of) in my backyard, so I was thinking of this direction.

Any APR peeps have info? Maybe a separate post is needed. I'll copy this and start a new topic.

Thanks!

Def. sticky worthy! There are simply too many choices for us uneducated heathens.

Sticky worthy, indeed! Good suggestion, IMO.

[quote=Copper;112852]Can we set up an open thread about MTM, GIAC, Revo, O.TC, APR (any I am missing)? Perhaps an open invitation to owners to provide feedback on the chip they have installed with any performance numbers (Dynos, seat of the pants), manufacturer support, malfunctions etc?

The ability to change the programs is appealing since I also use this as my business ride and want to conserve fuel for long distance trips around the Southeast and also have a nice smooth feel when clients are riding in the car with me.

I heard that the ECU/TCU upgrades make throttle response a bit touchy. Is that the case with O.TC?
    quote]

I've responded to the "change of program" feature - this is bs and you do not needed. While back some people here defended this as "dealer weill not see, no warranty void", which is also bs. Smootness of your ride is controlled by your right foot, not by the ECU box.....

Your mileage will improve with normal driving (read "normal", no I/O), with MTM chip the throttle response is same, no change.
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3
    RAM3500 D Cummins 6.7 Diesel

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ObamaCare: Medicine with IRS compassion and DMV urgency.

"A politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself...."

If the liberals love communism so much, why don't they move to China?

I vouch for www.dnatuning.com I have tried Revo, GIAC and APR. I also have a friend who owns a MTM tuned RS6 and he was shocked when he gave me a squirt along the freeway.

Although they all improved performance none match the DNA map for power, response, economy and smoothness.

I went the custom map route and even though I am on the other side of the world with vag-com and the OBD tool I couldnt be happier, he strongly recommends the TipTronic map also and i havent had nay problems at all with over 5000kms of hard driving and 1/4mile events.

For most the standard program is fine, another thing to note is to take HP and Torque figures quote as a grain of salt.

Unless a tuning shop has taken the time to tune the RS6 Engine on an engine dyno they cannot quote accurate power/torque figures.

RS-MAD

rs-mad, where are you locatetd? Do you have rs6 tuned by this company?
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3
    RAM3500 D Cummins 6.7 Diesel

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ObamaCare: Medicine with IRS compassion and DMV urgency.

"A politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself...."

If the liberals love communism so much, why don't they move to China?

Just tell me which thread to stick...
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Just tell me which thread to stick...
    This one please!

gjg - Yes this company tuned my RS6. I had it done a little differently as I have a background in electronics, but with the SRS Module DNA can tune anyone's car around the world.

I have the O.CT installed in my previous 2 RS6 and have sold many of these programs to various people though. In terms of throttle response it has always been smooth and never sensitive.

Infact the fastest RS6 car that is listed on www.dragtimes.com is tuned by O.CT

http://www.dragtimes.com/Audi-RS-6-Timeslip-3110.html

Let me know if you have any questions....
    Robert Hamme Tech Director Stratmosphere

OCT USA - PM Sent

Quote Originally Posted by O.CT USA View Post
    I have the O.CT installed in my previous 2 RS6 and have sold many of these programs to various people though. In terms of throttle response it has always been smooth and never sensitive.

Infact the fastest RS6 car that is listed on www.dragtimes.com is tuned by O.CT

http://www.dragtimes.com/Audi-RS-6-Timeslip-3110.html

Let me know if you have any questions....
    Yes that was my dad driving . There are only good things that we can say about OCT.

40,000+ Miles 0 problems= Enough said

We will miss that car and i hope the new owner is enjoying it ( does he even know that it is chipped )
    My car:
    2010 Subaru WRX STI Special Edition in WRB

Contact me?

Quote Originally Posted by rs-mad View Post
    gjg - Yes this company tuned my RS6. I had it done a little differently as I have a background in electronics, but with the SRS Module DNA can tune anyone's car around the world.
    I sent you a PM with a few questions.

Regards, Jimmy S.

Seems to me the most desirable solution would take into account all drive train variables, e.g., a TCU mod. Modifying the characteristics of the engine and leaving the TCU to carry out programming intended for a different engine (metaphorically speaking) seems to be squandering an opportunity.

Now, the facts may pan out differently, and I'd sure like to save the casheesh and only worry about the ECU. So, the question is for those who have not replaced the stock TCU, would you like to or have you since? Quite frankly, I shudder at the thought of replacing the RS6 tranny if I could have saved it in the first place by chipping it (or does chipping it only affect performance?).

So, who _is_ the provider to go with???

Quote Originally Posted by rs-mad View Post
    Hey J! Knew my ears were burning!

I'd done the initial standard tune on the RS6 ages ago and got the standard tuning figures everyone else gets with timing, fuel, boost, limiter changes to name but a few. The RS6 is an interesting one as one of the first VAG ECU's to implement a special routine monitoring boost outside of normal perimeters giving that post 30 hour limp mode routine! So then this crazy Oz guy comes to me wanting something just a little more, ok well alot more and without changing hardware as he's planning on going bigger turbos and a manual transmission eventually. So I pull out the factory file and take it to pieces and see what the limits can really pushed to 540+bhp later and god knows how many variations we've got tuning that we're classing for track use only! Milder versions at various levels available, any questions please email me at info@dnatuning.com or pm/post here

Quote Originally Posted by intended_accel View Post
    Seems to me the most desirable solution would take into account all drive train variables, e.g., a TCU mod. Modifying the characteristics of the engine and leaving the TCU to carry out programming intended for a different engine (metaphorically speaking) seems to be squandering an opportunity.

Now, the facts may pan out differently, and I'd sure like to save the casheesh and only worry about the ECU. So, the question is for those who have not replaced the stock TCU, would you like to or have you since? Quite frankly, I shudder at the thought of replacing the RS6 tranny if I could have saved it in the first place by chipping it (or does chipping it only affect performance?).
    Right alot of discussion I see about the TCU and why some companies don't alter the program for the TCU and make less torque I'll clarify.

Firstly if you go beyond certain torque levels on the RS6 the TCU can in certain situations get a little confused, for instance at cruising speeds it can get to a point where it can't decide which gear to be in and it will hunt up and down between two gears. The two solutions for this is either lower the torque improvement or alter the torque limits in the TCU unit. Now why alot of the big VAG tuners go for the lower torque limit is solely because all their dealer outlets only have the ability to flash cars via OBD and as the TCU cannot be done via OBD and needs manually doing their dealers cannot offer this service. So once the torque limits are changed in the TCU the worlds your oyster on functionality with these improved torque levels. Hoped this cleared some discussion up.

who makes a manual tranny that fits in the RS6?