Thread: S4 v8 tiptronic behaviour

S4 v8 tiptronic behaviour

Are there any tiptronic S4 v8 drivers here?

I need to know if my gearbox behaves normally. It tends to jerk when I lift of the throttle at low speeds, or when manually upshifting from 5th to 6th with little engine-load. It is clearly different from when upshifting from 4th to 5th where it is just a smooth upshift.

the jerking is like some kind of gear engaging. Like putting your motorcycle in 1th gear at standstill with its engine on, Does anyone know what Im talking about?
    Independent AWD driver

at super low speeds? like 1st gear? it engine brakes pretty hard in 1st gear, but otherwise, idont know exactly what you are saying.
    5th-6th i usually dont feel anything...

I can drive in or accelerate to 10-20 km/h in the garage, lift of throttle completely and after a halv a second transmission jerks. Not always, but often.

Ill do some more testing at high gears tomorrow again.
    Independent AWD driver

check which gear you are in. if it is in 1st, then it is completely normal. 1st gear engine breaks enough that you could "stop" at most stop signs without the brake if you werent going to fast to begin with.

sometimes its in 1st. Sometimes in 2nd. Same thing. It doesnt enginebrake. I would rather describe it like a "hit". like driving over a rock.
    Independent AWD driver

Do you have your car chipped? APR,MTM,ect? I know after I got mine chipped it threw about 23 codes including a few for the TCU.
    [IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/bushido01s4/mcaskyline.jpg[/IMG]

No. It is stock.

This is what i know now:

- When driving in my garage, and accelerating from 5 km/h to 10-20, and then completely step of the throttle, after 0.5-1 seconds the car/transmission stutters, as if it quickly almost threw in 2nd gear and then disengaged it again.
    - When driving at about 70 km/h, manually changing gears from 5th to 6th makes the same stutter, but not when I change gears from 4th to 5th. Here its just a smooth transition.
    - When driving in 40 km/h in a slight downhill, no load on the engine, though I might have had the foot on the pedal, probably in 3rd gear, suddenly it might make one jerk/stutter.
    - When driving in 25 km/h and changing between 2nd and 3rd gear, almost every time I get the same shutter-effekt. Here the phenomen is quite noticeable. Same thing when going in 90 and changing between 5th and 6th.
    - Every now and then, when enginebraking or braking and the transmission presumeably is gearing down, the gearbox sometimes gives a shutter, although ive not been near the throttle.

Ive posted same question on 5 audi forums. Yet no one seems to incline this behaviour is normal.
    Independent AWD driver

As a driver of an '06 V8 S4 tip, I cannot identify with this problem. However, I did have something very similar happen to the tiptronic box on my '02 996. They repaired it under warranty, but I forget now excatly what the problem was. Best of luck and I hope it does not get stuck in third gear like what happened to me in the 996.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter View Post
    As a driver of an '06 V8 S4 tip, I cannot identify with this problem. However, I did have something very similar happen to the tiptronic box on my '02 996. They repaired it under warranty, but I forget now excatly what the problem was. Best of luck and I hope it does not get stuck in third gear like what happened to me in the 996.

ok thx for your input.

Did yet more testing.

- When driving in 6th gear at 80 km/h, giving full throttle for a second and then completely stepping of makes same shutter after about a second.

Im starting to beleive there is some issue with my torque converter.
    Independent AWD driver

Quote Originally Posted by Rosefors View Post
    ok thx for your input.

Did yet more testing.

- When driving in 6th gear at 80 km/h, giving full throttle for a second and then completely stepping of makes same shutter after about a second.

Im starting to beleive there is some issue with my torque converter.
    It sounds like the problem is omnipresent rather than intermittent. This is a good thing as when you take it to the stealership (which you really should) their engineer will be able to experience the problem when you take the car for a spin.

Again good luck, and I don't think it will take more than a day to fix but get it treated before further damage may occur.