Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X5 M vs. Q7....??

X5 M vs. Q7....??

If BMW launches really a X5 M or a HighPerformance X5 with 500hp+ how would audi react??? would they build maybe a Q7 S or something same powerful??? i hope so !!! dont leave BMW alone on this segment !.

PS: i dont think the Q7 V12 TDI is a competitor to this, because diesel.

why is the V12 TDI no competitor?

In Le Mans it's also a competitor... i think AUDI have nothing more to do then bring the V12 TDI...

they need a gasoline competitor not diesel with that hp.

Quote Originally Posted by tvrfan View Post
    they need a gasoline competitor not diesel with that hp.
    gess that wouldn't be any huge problem... W12 is waiting gasoline

just look at VW Toureg W12 (a few were sold)
    Vorsprung durch Technik

What do you think about Q7 in S-line in Sprint Blue? Has anyone saw it or has photos in that color? Tried to find in web ut could not.

Banned
    Q7 looks like a mini-van on stilts. The Q5 should be a better candidate for the go-fast treatement.

M3_dude,

I agree that the Q5 will be a much better choice for being sportier, the same applies to the X3 and when the smaller Merc is launched. It's that weight thing and shorter wheelbases make for cars which can change direction quicker.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by tvrfan View Post
    If BMW launches really a X5 M or a HighPerformance X5 with 500hp+ how would audi react???

PS: i dont think the Q7 V12 TDI is a competitor to this, because diesel.
    I think you may have answered your own question.

You are correct, the TDI would not be a direct competitor to a high strung BMW motor, but I think that might be part of the appeal. The RS 6 with twin turbos is not as high strung as the M cars, but is still a very desirable alternative.

As for diesel, I think it is even better. You're not really buying a big SUV for the high pitched engine sounds. Me, I'd rather have a big rumbly engine to go with the size. What better than a huge V12TT TDI? Realworld performance would be about the same, but fuel economy (and therefore range) would be much better.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Ben,

You are correct, the diesel option is a far better in something like an SUV of this size, sure the likes of the Cayenne Turbo work great too but a high revving N/A engine like to one in the M5 wouldn't work as well or be as enjoyable in my opinion.

The thing is, it's torque that you crave when in a SUV, if you have ever sampled both the Cayenne S vs the Turbo you will know what I mean, the N/A Cayenne S is good but beside the extra torque of the Turbo you really can't compare the experience. I reckon the Q7v12TDi will have to desired pulling power to keep any power hungry person happy but doubt it's handling will match that performance if it's engine weight is to be believed.

Banned
    I would still take an ML63 over them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Ben,...................
    I reckon the Q7v12TDi will have to desired pulling power to keep any power hungry person happy but doubt it's handling will match that performance if it's engine weight is to be believed.
    Leadie, with all due respect, the X5 high performace "extender" can breath exhaust pipes of Q7v8TDi, let alone the v12 .. at least under normal driving conditions in Germany and regular size balls - and I would not even remotely discuss any other country like those with more speed traps and cameras than licensed drivers ....
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3
    RAM3500 D Cummins 6.7 Diesel

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ObamaCare: Medicine with IRS compassion and DMV urgency.

"A politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself...."

If the liberals love communism so much, why don't they move to China?

gjg,

I know how quick the v8TDi Q7 feels, remember I did drive one a few months back and based on how much quicker it felt to the v8FSi I doubt anything other than a Cayenne Turbo or ML63 would be quicker.

My concerns to the handling are based on rumours that the v12TDi weighs more than half as much again as the v8TDi, itself no light weight.

There was some X5 with big engine at the ring. It sounded very deep so think there was a big V8 inside. Also can be very wrong

Surely, it could be X5 with V8 TT - 408 hp

Turbos usually dull the sound of the engine, if Speedou reckons the engine sounded impressive then it's more than likely N/A and big. The X5M is meant to be running a V12 6.0L which would sound very impressive if it's rev limit was in the high sevens.

Leadfood, sound was quite low and deep. So TT is very possible.

If Audi come with the concept V12 Q7 with the lemans engine it will be able to handle just about anything. That engine was emissions equipped in race from and it was able to destroy everything in a racing series. You put something like that in anything and it will go well. About 1000+ Nm? Basic Q7 is great at high speed too, and given it would be "relatively" efficient I think it will be more than a match.

Plus making something exactly the same as BMW is stupid - why compete just to compete - differentiation is the only thing that makes any business sense

I see WCF are running a story that Ferrari might enter the SUV market with a 600hp and 600Nm machine capable of 0-100km/h in under 5 seconds and a top speed of 300km/h. The gauntlet has been laid down to Porsche and the others.