Thread: BMW 635 d, first drive

BMW 635 d, first drive

Very interesting car, I like it...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...-Sport/228571/

Could be a good car but god it's ugly!

Was behind one (635d) yesterday when it decided to overtake about four car on the trot, there is no doubt that the diesel engine came of age when BMW developed the 3.0Bi-turbo because it engine does make the case for arguing to have a petrol very difficult indeed. The same thing applies to the A8 4.2TDi and the A8 4.2FSi, why have the petrol when the diesel is not only quicker, more economical but quieter at speed as well.

I can't wait for the Audi's 3.0v6Bi-turbo diesel version to see what we make of it.
    Search and you will find the truth.

I was behind a steering wheel of 535 d last week, and all I can say is...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    I was behind a steering wheel of 535 d last week, and all I can say is...
    Hey Andy, you are a Porsche man. Do you feel Porsche in something like the big Cayenne should have a big Bi-turbo diesel or would the Porsche brand be damaged with such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Hey Andy, you are a Porsche man. Do you feel Porsche in something like the big Cayenne should have a big Bi-turbo diesel or would the Porsche brand be damaged with such a thing.
    IMHO, diesel powered Cayenne is ''must do'' thing for a Porsche, but, it is unlikely to hapend... Unfortunately, there is, still, big amount of people that consider diesel to be something dirty and slow, many of them are Porsches customers, and they just don't want to see real potential of the diesel, they are turning their heads away. BMW (335 d, 535 d, 635 d...) are best examples.
    My opinion is that Porsches managment is more than anxious to start project like that.

If we are talking about ruining the ''sport tradition'', I think that after ''braking all the sport rules'' with Cayenne, Porsche schould go one step further and release diesel powered Cayenne. ''Know how'' is something that they have plenty enough within the VAG, combine that with Porsche tech-team, that is more than capable to come up with idea or two, and we can end up with some very ''mean'' diesel powered SUV...

I would personaly like to see/have that imaginary ''Cayenne D'' or ''Cayenne GTD''

Andy,

You maybe right with regards to VAG, it might be one of a number of reasons why Porsche are so keen to get their hands of VAG. Lets face it few companies have to wealth of knowledge that VAG has in diesel technology, plus their knowledge of Aluminium, DRC and awd system are again second to none.

I think a big Cayenne with a v8 diesel engine would a real hoot to see. And why stop there, why not have a diesel Panamara or a Boxster/Cayman D with a 3.0v6Bi-turbo diesel, it would be kicking as much power as the current S model and mountains more torque. I see this as a better option than going Hybrid which only adds weight and not much more performance if any.

Come on Porsche, make it happen.

I'm with you on the possible ''Panamera D'' solution, when it comes to Cayman, I can't say for sure, but personally I don't have anything against...

Unforunately, I'm not an optimist on that issue...