Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Audi TTS update.

The new 2.0TFSI is a flywheel side chain driven engine.
    I don't think it will sound different due to the change from belt to chain.
    But a quat exhaust can gif it a different sound then the S3, beside that the question is will it be a valve exhaust or a non valve exhaust.
    What ever Audi do is still will sound like a 4-pod, a exhaust can't change that.
    The torque and turbo lag will not change for the better if Audi give it more power.
    They can only change the torque and turbo lag for the better by making it a TSI Twincharger.
    In that case they can even put on an bigger turbo to get 300+ hp out of it because the compressor will take care of the turbo lag by lower refs.
    But like i sait before, i like the new TT very much but not the engine line-up include this new HP 2.0TFSI.
    Also a VW 2.3 VR5 TFSI will no do it for me, it will not come close to a Audi inline five.
    Therefore the chance that i ever buy a new TT is very small.

Hans.

Well Hans, if not a TT then what?

Will you go for a new RS4 or possibly a RS5 or are you still hold out for the hope that Audi will produces a TT with a normal Quattro set-up and the in-line5TFSi and call it a RS.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Well Hans, if not a TT then what?

Will you go for a new RS4 or possibly a RS5 or are you still hold out for the hope that Audi will produces a TT with a normal Quattro set-up and the in-line5TFSi and call it a RS.
    i have no idea at the moment, there are not that many Audi's i like for one or more reasons and they will be parked on the open road.
    I like the 5.2/5.0 V10 FSI/TFSI engine's but not the cars they are in.
    And i like the R8 4.2 V8 FSI 6 speed manual but it will cost me in the Netherlands ± 196.000,- Euro the way i like it.
    But i still hope Audi will produce a TT with a desent engine like a inline 5 TFSI, 3.6 VR6 FSI or a longitudinal Audi V6 Bi-turbo.
    Other wise i will wait for the A1, it's a small and more suitable car for the big city where i life.

Hans.

Audi always put clue's in there licence plate's.
    If you take a look @ the licence plate of the orange roadster that is covered in black folie, it say V6 07.
    In that case if the licence plate is anything like Audi usualy do this TT Roadster have a V6 under the bonnet and get introduced this year.

Hans.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Audi always put clue's in there licence plate's.
    If you take a look @ the licence plate of the orange roadster that is covered in black folie, it say V6 07.
    In that case if the licence plate is anything like Audi usualy do this TT Roadster have a V6 under the bonnet and get introduced this year.

Hans.
    Hans,

You know rightly what under the bonnet of these TTs.

i like it alot! I wouldnt buy it I like larger coups but very nice looking

Also the TTS will have a sound pipe like the TT 3.2 Quattro have.
    So that the buyer never forgets he paid all that money for just a 4pot?

Why does the 3.2L V6 sound so good? --- It's got a sound pipe in the engine compartment!

So I'm reading through the Audi service training guides and I come across this interesting piece on the Soundpipe installed in 3.2L TT's.
    I wasn't aware that Audi was doing this, but it is sure an interesting idea. I wonder if this could be retrofitted to the 2.0T? Anyway, here is the text.

Off the intake is a secondary "sound pipe" that is used to "accentuate the engine's dynamism and sportiness."

From the guide:
    The intake sound is transmitted to the vehicle body through a connecting line from the intake manifold to the plenum chamber and through a resonator.
    The soundpipe produces a sporty sound in the vehicle interior without impairing comfort. Pressure pulsations are amplified by the gas exchange cycle through the soundpipe without exceeding exterior noise limits.

Function:
    The soundpipe is connected between the airflow mass meter and the throttle valve unit in the air intake tract.
    The soundpipe is made up of three parts: the primary pipe, which is connected to the air intake tract, the sound generator, and the secondary pipe, which is connected to the vehicle interior through the engine bulkhead.

The primary and secondary pipes as well as the sound generator are configured in such a way that it is possible to influence the "bandpass characteristic," and therefore the acoustic transmission range.
    A bandpass characteristic is produced, for example, by connecting the highpass and lowpass filters in series.

Only a defined range of frequencies is allowed to pass, depending on the circuit configuration.
    The sound generator is the key component.
    This system is designed so that sound becomes meatier when the driver demands more power from the engine.

The pressure pulsations occurring during the gas exchange cycle are transmitted to the membranes in the sound generator, where they are amplified by the sound generator and relayed to the vehicle interior. Another task of the membranes is to seal the gas flow between the air intake tract and the vehicle interior.
    The foam core in the sound generator maintains the shape and position of the membranes.

Hans.

Spied in black:

Banned
    Why does the 3.2L V6 sound so good? --- It's got a sound pipe in the engine compartment!

So I'm reading through the Audi service training guides and I come across this interesting piece on the Soundpipe installed in 3.2L TT's.
    I wasn't aware that Audi was doing this, but it is sure an interesting idea. I wonder if this could be retrofitted to the 2.0T? Anyway, here is the text.

Off the intake is a secondary "sound pipe" that is used to "accentuate the engine's dynamism and sportiness."

From the guide:
    The intake sound is transmitted to the vehicle body through a connecting line from the intake manifold to the plenum chamber and through a resonator.
    The soundpipe produces a sporty sound in the vehicle interior without impairing comfort. Pressure pulsations are amplified by the gas exchange cycle through the soundpipe without exceeding exterior noise limits.

Function:
    The soundpipe is connected between the airflow mass meter and the throttle valve unit in the air intake tract.
    The soundpipe is made up of three parts: the primary pipe, which is connected to the air intake tract, the sound generator, and the secondary pipe, which is connected to the vehicle interior through the engine bulkhead.

The primary and secondary pipes as well as the sound generator are configured in such a way that it is possible to influence the "bandpass characteristic," and therefore the acoustic transmission range.
    A bandpass characteristic is produced, for example, by connecting the highpass and lowpass filters in series.

Only a defined range of frequencies is allowed to pass, depending on the circuit configuration.
    The sound generator is the key component.
    This system is designed so that sound becomes meatier when the driver demands more power from the engine.

The pressure pulsations occurring during the gas exchange cycle are transmitted to the membranes in the sound generator, where they are amplified by the sound generator and relayed to the vehicle interior. Another task of the membranes is to seal the gas flow between the air intake tract and the vehicle interior.
    The foam core in the sound generator maintains the shape and position of the membranes.

Hans.
    Z4 has it too.

the more i think about it the more it seems it'll have a V6, but a bigger one than the one in the 3.2.

they could have turboed the 3.2 to make it the TT-S engine, but i doubt it. i "feel" the twin exhausts go better with a V6 than with a souped up 2.0.

tokyo is this week. so what gives?
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Not to get off track again, sorry Hans. But if the Z4 has them then why does it not sound much as anything different than the 1/3/5/6/7 series etc, do all of them have the same thing?

Back on topic, HKS786,

I like the car riding shootgun with the TT/S, I wonder how the two cars performance will differ.

Me too. It's good to see them both together

A sound pipe is only for a better sound experience inside the car, not outside sound.

btw, i have always sait that the TTS will be a 300 hp 3.6 VR6 FSI, but confusion about the name for the faster TT's is to blame for the confusion about it.
    TT 2.0TFSI Quattro, TT 2.0 TFSI Quattro sport, TT-S, TT-RS, TT 3.6 FSI Quattro.
    Take your pic.

Hans.

3.6 means more torque. not necessarily more weight. so if this is what happens with the TT-S and my left testicle tells me so, then, that will kick butt.

i would hope that this 3.6 would replace the 3.2 in the A6 right now b/c i want my wife to get either an updated A6 or a TDI Q7 at the end of next CY.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

I just hope the QuattroGmbH has got involved with the development of the TT/S or what ever it's called because the miracle work they did with the RS4 compared to that of the S4 would be even more amazing on the TT as it already is a better driving car than the S4.

I reckon Hans does know the possible engine choice but has to keep quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    I just hope the QuattroGmbH has got involved with the development of the TT/S or what ever it's called because the miracle work they did with the RS4 compared to that of the S4 would be even more amazing on the TT as it already is a better driving car than the S4.
    I also think they have higher standards than Audi, i.e. they wont put their RS badge on any model as Audi does with the S-badge. I hope that S vs. RS is still the differentiation between a sporty model and an enthusiast model. At least I like to cling to that thought

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaS6 View Post
    I also think they have higher standards than Audi, i.e. they wont put their RS badge on any model as Audi does with the S-badge. I hope that S vs. RS is still the differentiation between a sporty model and an enthusiast model. At least I like to cling to that thought
    That statement isn't 100% correct, they have developed the R8 which isn't a RS model and the same goes for the Q7 v12TDi, so clearly they are getting involved with other projects only they don't put their badge on them.