Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S5 review by M3 owner

Interesting. The concept of Audi vs. BMW is best explained..(and I have to sit down to say this)...a BMW die-hard. Audi has been and always will be a more cultured and refined marquee. This is evident by the guy's review. Audi has a certain innate substance that BMW lacks and Mercedes-Benz cannot match. Great job Audi for having the S5 keep true to Audi heritage; yet at the same time stepping up the game! Let's see more of this. I can only imagine the RS6, the upcoming RS5 and the next generation RS4 will do.
    "Four Rings to Rule Them All - Audi"

Banned
    Well, the regular (non RS) Audis are pretty plain and boring especially in Europe. Dang, I once went into my local Audi delaership and ALL the cars there were black. Also, the regular models are a total bore to drive. You might as well save the money and get a VW A4 (Passat). Driving a B7 A4 and a 330??? No comparison, although the interior on the Audi is better.

M3_dude,

I think the problem is Audi driver in general are more mature and in a lot of cases professional motorsport drivers who for one reason or another prefer the style of driving that Audi cars have. I for one have had my fill of excitement on the track and forest tracks to not need the same experience when I am carting my family about, but just because it doesn't provide the thrills of cars like the Porsche or BMW does not mean that what it provides is any less enjoyable, only it's different and in 90% of the time it's also quicker, especially away from the track.

The difference is Audi drivers have grown up. You should try it some day.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Banned
    Well, you are right. After driving a Formula car or a DTM or even an Ariel Atom, the difference in driving enjoyment between an A4 and a 3 series is like splitting the atom (or a turd). They would both be equally dreary, so you might as well drive one with a better interior. Jack Villeneuve drove a freaking Volvo estate, and many driving instructors drive boring cars.

However for us mere mortals, our only driving enjoyment comes from street legal cars and we try to maximise it as much as we can by choosing a vehicle with the better dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianM3_dude View Post
    However for us mere mortals, our only driving enjoyment comes from street legal cars and we try to maximise it as much as we can by choosing a vehicle with the better dynamics.
    I think you are mistaking what the term 'better dynamics' means. Don't think for one moment that BMW's dynamics are any better than Audi's, entertainment I will agree with but not their ability.

Banned
    I don't doubt Audis have grip, but that is not where driving enjoyment is derived from. Fit Michelin PS Cups to a Lada and it will too show impressive grip.

The term 'better dynamics' implies that it has better handling and cornering speed both of which the equivalent BMW car don't have over it's Audi counterpart. Proportionally BMW cars have wider diameter tyres than their Audi counterparts, the M3 has 265mm compared to the RS4 which has 255mm, like you said 'fit Michelin PS Cups to a Lada and it will too show impressive grip', same applies here.

If your opinion of the term means that the chassis is more controllable to your inputs then I totally agree with this, four wheel drive systems are design to shift the power to the axle with the most grip and it does this without your input while rwd systems require you the driver to modulate the throttle to help control what grip is available and keep the car between the hedges.

Another thing different between the two systems that you might not be aware of is their cornering speeds when grip has be exceeded, in a rwd car the cornering speed will usually be in excess of 5mph slower than an awd car. In other words, powersliding is slower than 4 wheel drifting.

Well, the regular (non RS) Audis are pretty plain and boring especially in Europe. Dang, I once went into my local Audi delaership and ALL the cars there were black. Also, the regular models are a total bore to drive. You might as well save the money and get a VW A4 (Passat). Driving a B7 A4 and a 330??? No comparison, although the interior on the Audi is better.
    And so are the plain vanilla BMWs (all pretty much crap from the interior to exterior). The 7-Series is a poor example, if not excuse, for a luxury car in its respective class. Unrefined and poorly executed when placed next to an A8L or S-Class. No wonder the 7-Series has never beaten the A8 in any major comparison. Refinement isn't a BMW virtue. BMW should leave that to the true premium brands of Audi and Mercedes-Benz.

Banned
    However even a vanilla 3 series is nice to drive. Add a few options and it's great. However much lipstick you put on a B7... well only the ride gets worse.

However even a vanilla 3 series is nice to drive. Add a few options and it's great. However much lipstick you put on a B7... well only the ride gets worse.
    That is a matter of opinion.

Banned
    Well, the steering is pretty bad, very artificial, and it's very understeery and numb. Of course if that doesn't matter... Then it's not a bad choice.

Well, the steering is pretty bad, very artificial, and it's very understeery and numb. Of course if that doesn't matter... Then it's not a bad choice.
    I take it you are referring to the A4 in this statement. Well if so then lets break it down shall we, firstly steering be very artificial - agreed but then this is a problem with very elec-pump system out there and I don't feel that the 3 series is any better. Secondly you referred to ride quality in your other statement and again this was referring to the A4 I believe, well to answer this question I would like you answer mine, do you feel that the 3 series rides better when it too is fitted with stiffer suspension and bigger wheels bearing in mind that it rides on run-flat tyres.

You may feel I am clouded to Audi's faults but you seem to be suffering the same problem only it's BMW related.

Banned
    3 series steering is not electric. Z4 is... and it's very good.

I had the misfortunate of having to drive a new 3-Series in Germany for two weeks as a rental. Unless I am missing something, the car is absolutely rubbish in terms of its handling and its poor low quality executed interior. The thing broke down one week in because it was leaking oil and only had 1000 kms on it. Maybe it was a rental, but better than an A4 - not by a longshot.

Banned
    Well, if you compare it to an RS4. It was probably 4 cylinder with cloth seats and comfort suspension.

3 series steering is not electric. Z4 is... and it's very good.
    For a BMW fan, you aren't much of a BMW buff. All BMW 3 series use electric power steering systems.

BMW318ES BMW320iES BMW325i BMW330d

the except being the 335 petrol and diesel and of course the M3.

BMW335i & BMW335d

Like I said, I think you are a little clouded to BMW's abilities and faults.

Thanks...all very interesting but is there any chance we could cut down on the Audi vs. BMW bullshit?

Or do I have to help?
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail