Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Opinions SUVs - MB, VW, BMW..

Buying Opinions SUVs - MB, VW, BMW..

Need an SUV for family.
    Here're my consideration: not a fuel killer, low profile, enough HP+Torque

I came up a list as below:

- MB ML550: 382hp / 391lb-ft / 13&18mpg
    - BMW 4.8is: 350hp / 350lb-ft / 15&21mpg
    - VW Touareg V8: 350hp / 325lb-ft / 12&17mpg
    - Volvo XC90 V8 Sport: 311hp / 325lb-ft / 13&19mpg

Test drive X5 4.8is and impressive handling and road feeling. But REALLY don't like interior.

Like ML550's looking but also dislike it's interior.

Kinda like XC90 interior but exterior's ok.

Touareg: like exterior + interior. but has worst fuel mpg and resale value?

Volvo: don't like exterior and it's little bit too big.

Anyhow, comments are more than welcome! any experience driving those cars?

BTW, any RS6 owner from Arab? 320 out of 500 Touareg W12 were exported to middle east. can't wait to see Touareg R50 coming out next week.

LoL this is an Audi Forum

You need to put a Q7 4.2 V8 on the list...

But if you don't want an Audi, I'd probably pick the Mercedes, not because I like it, but because I don't like the other 3!

XC90 - old model, it's around for ages...
    Touareg - the same, although refreshed, it still looks old to me...
    The Beemer - Merc simply looks much much better...

So, the Merc then. But if you put in an Audi, then I'd pick it because it also has a very good exterior, and the interior is much better than in the ML. And you can have 7 seats in the Audi...

How about Audi Allroad V8. It is suprisingly big against normal A6 and air suspension is master piece!

I take it that you were referring to the new model of BMW X5, if so then I am gob-smacked that you dislike both it's interior and exterior. Everyone here knows I cherish Audi cars the most but this new X5 is a master piece, it's improved all the things I disliked about the old model (5series Estate on stilts) while in the same stroke improved the quality and style of the interior.

If I was in the process of looking a SUV and didn't have one already (currently running a Q7TDi) here would be my short list. Two group based on space and enjoyment.

SPACE.
    1/ Audi Q7 (quality and price)
    2/ Mercedes GL (image but expensive)
    3/ BMW X5 (quality, enjoyment and 7seat are available)
    4/ XC90 (cheapest and great for families)

ENJOYMENT
    1/ Porsche Cayenne S (best drive, image)
    2/ BMW X5 4.8si (great drive and newest design)
    3/ Audi Q7 4.2FSi or Mercedes ML550 (Audi is good to drive as is the Merc)

I was surprised that the Porsche never made your list. It is still the best driving SUV with the best image though it's looks aren't to every one's taste, it's both spacious for a five seater and has a big boot and the engine has the best exhaust note of all of them. I you might be surprised wouldn't include the Touareg for the very reasons both yourself and The RS6 listed, it's old and it's resale isn't great, namely because it's in a price bracket where image is of great concern to people and the VW badge hasn't got there just yet.
    Search and you will find the truth.

I did look in to MB (mainly due to management's wishes...) and even she got discouraged with the amount of problems on M Class series at that point in time. Plus it was not as comfortable as Q with sports seats....

X5, after drive in snow moutains, was out - guess got spoiled by quattro ... just did not feel right, perhaps my driving skills are not up with bimmer.

Q7 has the room and, as Leaddie already said, 4.2l TDi is the engine to have. With diesel you can get optional auxiliary heating which you appreciate the very first time when it gets cold ....
    Last edited by gjg; October 6th, 2007 at 14:21.
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3
    RAM3500 D Cummins 6.7 Diesel

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ObamaCare: Medicine with IRS compassion and DMV urgency.

"A politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself...."

If the liberals love communism so much, why don't they move to China?

just realized that TDi Q is not available in US yet, the 3.0 TDi should be available end of this year (at least that's rumour flotaing around for a while ...)

Q7 3.0 TDi is, for driving in US, almost perfect - it is 2 inches shorter than Suburban (1995 model), with reasonable driving habits you can expect somewhere between 22-26 mpg, plenty of room - would not get the sunroof though.... (don't like it).
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3

"A politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself...."

Q7 with 4.2 FSI would be about 13-15 city and 17-24 highway in US, depending on your "leadfoot" .... my partner drives one in NC (CLT area) with 14/20 average for 13k miles and he has heavy foot. I get about 16/22 when I drive it on the same routes he does ....
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3

Banned
    The Q7 just looks like a minivan. I think it's the weakest design of the lot. I really like the X5 but find it a bit overpriced, I'd get a RRsport instead. I think the VW Touareg is the most sensible choice though with a diesel. Forget about "sporting" SUVs, they still can't handle. Something like the Cayenne only makes sense in countries where a sports car is impractical due to bad roads.

tks a lot for all info. & opinions. ^0^

Porsche: not on my list because I want a low profile car. my wife she's still in school for graduate program and tht's too much to drive. Btw, I have driven my friend's Caynne, but not impressived at all. (maybe it's not turbo at all since we all used to twin turbo)

Q7: too big actually and not into it's exterior. but found this very good article - http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=3683 (sorry, it's chinese and to cut it short ... he LOVES Q7 and he got M5)
    but anyway, will double check with family members...

X5: new 4.8is actually drives very well but the thing is "interior" and only has 350hp. let's not talk about interior, but for same kind of money...ML550 has better looking, better interior + more hp & torque.

Touareg: like its style, interior but hasn't got a chance to drive yet. it's more suitable to me and my wife's age. (26~32 but we looks liked "5" years younger according to friends ^^"")

I gues this will be a long time process to pursuit a SUV that feeds my need!

I would take the Benz out of your choices.

I have to admit to never having owned a SUV, so cannot tell you how each is to live with, but having had experience of nearly every SUV on the market through friends/family and business i would say the ML is definately the best out of your list.

It's understated, and discreet on the outside. I happen to like the interior, but obviously this is matter of taste. To drive, the ML just 'feels' more laid back and light footed than the X5 4.8 (which i also rate v.highly). The X5 is a lot more "in your face" than the rest on your list also.

I'd have a Range Rover (not the Sport however...i'd have a PROPER Range Rover!!!) if i were to add to your list however. Beautiful interior, Lovely Exterior and does everything you would want from 4x4.

Taz
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
    B6 Audi A4 3.0 Sport Quattro Convertible - Volcano Black
    B5 Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE Saloon - Hibiscus Red
    Seat Leon 1.6 SE - Bilberry Red
    Porsche 996 Carrera - Arctic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by RussianM3_dude View Post
    ......I'd get a RRsport instead. I think the VW Touareg is the most sensible choice though with a diesel. Forget about "sporting" SUVs, they still can't handle. Something like the Cayenne only makes sense in countries where a sports car is impractical due to bad roads.
    RR, sport or no sport - get two, u will need one for spare parts

I like Tuareg (we have 3 3.0 TDi in company), ride and handling with air package is actually very good on s#%^^y roads where I drive most of the time, but boot is too small compared with Q....

valid point on Cayenne..
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3

I just signed for a ML 420 CDI with the brand new ML Edition 10 package :

http://autofolies.skynetblogs.be/pos...-ml-edition-10

My wife is expecting twins for early Feb 08. So we need space and I always loved SUVs. Then the choice was tuff as there is a lot of them out there with appealing look. Although it will be my wife's car (I keep the RS4 of course) I will be driving it often as well but my wife choice also played in the selection.

Let me clarify my thought :

Volvo : forget about it
    Lexus : the same
    Q7 : to big, not the best looking (sorry Audi)
    Range supercharged : very nice, but don't like interior and poor performances vs power.
    X5 : very nice, but I am not a beemer guy, I don't know why
    Touareg : VW, to many, don't like the look.
    Cayenne : too expensive after market, don't like the image you get in this car
    ML : the best looking, sporty, elegant, MB image and suitable for a lady car (image).

Then what about the engine ? Of course most of the above have a nice petrol engine V8 with 300-400 hp. But we can all read that diesel engines offer the best driving quality to SUV i.e. great torque, fuel economy and more relax driving style. Although having red a lot of such comments in many forums I was still not convinced by diesel…

But man after having tested the V8 420 CDI engine I am just impressed !!! Let me tell you I am NOT at all a diesel guy, this is even the contrary and I never owned any diesel car. I live in Switzeland and diesel is not very comon as in France.

But hey ! this engine is mind blowing : 308hp, 700NM at 2000rpm with a nice V8 petrol sound, not at all the diesel poor sound of small engines and so smooth and powerfull. This is exactly the way I want the power to be release in an SUV. The riding style for an SUV is in my opinion smooth and relaxed with plenty of confort and enough power to afford mountain roads and some sporty rides time to time. This is exactly what the 420 CDI offers and with fuel consumption of 11.3 L mixed.

The ML 500 figures are : 13.4 L but real figures are more 15-18 L, torque is 460 NM at 2700rpm and 0-100kmph is 6.9sec (6.8 sec for the 420 CDI).

Fuel economy and resale value played an important role in my choice and I think the 420 CDI or more generally diesel engines are the best choice vs pertrol for an SUV. The Touareg V10 looks very interesting as well if you like the style.

Good luck in you choice

If you could wait until late next year then you could get a Q5 3.0v6TDi which would be lighter than the ML420CDi while providing similar power (300hp & 650Nm) plus a 7sp DSG gearbox all packaged with Quattro3 (torque vectoring). Surely the ultimate SUV in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    If you could wait until late next year then you could get a Q5 3.0v6TDi which would be lighter than the ML420CDi while providing similar power (300hp & 650Nm) plus a 7sp DSG gearbox all packaged with Quattro3 (torque vectoring). Surely the ultimate SUV in the making.
    when is this package going to be fitted with 4.2 tdi?
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3

I can't wait twins are expected for Feb 08 and I want to change from Audi and a V8 has a much better grunt and noise than a V6. I like the ML but certainly this new V6 in the brand new Q5 will be nice as well.

Personally i cant see any better off roader than the new Supercharged Range Rover. Its got 400hp so goes pretty fast, and thats coming from a Jaguar V8 so sounds great as well. So no problems on performance.
    But the reason i'd buy it if i was looking for an SUV is because it is a cut above the others in design. It looks so stunning. Its manly but so smooth and sleek. Has such presence and is almost scary when one drives past next to you. And the interior is unrivaled for quality and finished. They use real timber in the cabin for gods sake
    Plus its British to, so gains points with me there.

The Rangie has lo of presence on the road, in fact more than an officially sold SUV in European (excluded US models as they are just nasty). But as FAB and gjg pointed out they aren't the quickest big girls about and they are prone to being unreliable. Apart from these two very important points they are great.

Quote Originally Posted by +44 Dave View Post
    Personally i cant see any better off roader than the new Supercharged Range Rover.
    I'm with you Dave. And when it does break down...I still have my proper 4x4 left to play with...the RS4!

Taz
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
    B6 Audi A4 3.0 Sport Quattro Convertible - Volcano Black
    B5 Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE Saloon - Hibiscus Red
    Seat Leon 1.6 SE - Bilberry Red
    Porsche 996 Carrera - Arctic Silver