Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RS5 overview

RS5 overview

Good day all!

I am looking for as many details as possible about the RS5.

Having been on the waiting list for the RS6 for over a year we are most dissappointed that the RS6 is unlikely to make it over the pond.

The RS5 may fill the void left by the unavailable RS6. I have looked back over the last few pages to try and gather your thoughts.

So far it appears as though
    --details will be released at the next major car show???
    --4.2 420hp from RS4 seems likely
    --4.2 may get TT for 470hp??

Would you put the US price in the 80-90,000 range?

Many thanks!

since the RS4 isabout $20 k more than the S4, and the S5 is about $2k more than the S4, I'm going to assume about $70-74k US.

Also, I just hope that the RS5 comes with TT, not N/A. I love the high-rev NA engines but Audis are all about Quattro and Turbocharged engine!!

hopefully, it will come sooner than what people are expecting!

Thanks for at least searching before posting Bro, I dont actually think we will see the RS4 engine in the RS5. Thats just me personally, even though we dont have anything concrete. It's interesting to note that the RS4 is puting up a mighty good fight against the M3. I think even if the RS5 used the same engine, with it's new chassis and other tech it could hammer the M3!

Also, I have my own ideas about possibilities. I think that it's possible that Audi could create a 4.0 V8 TFSI based on the new RS6 engine - chopping off 2 cylinders so to speak. Rough calculations based on that would put it at 465bhp and 385 lb/ft torque. I think we can both agree that these figures are enough to make the M3 worry, especially when we compare it to 420bhp and 295 lb/ft for the M3 respectively.

Obviously these are just ideas but whatever the case, the RS5 will be a beast. I think the RS4 has shown that Audi just need to go that little bit further with the RS5 and they can have something to destroy the M3 and other rivals!

Edit: Oh yeah, and some people think the RS5 could receive a 4.5 N/A V8. I have actually heard about this myself so it could happen. I guess time will tell...
    HKS786

HKS786,

I reckon you might be closer to the truth than you know with this 4.0v8TFSi engine. I have been told that the next RS4/5 engine would be turboed and the future engines will decrease in size.

Your reckoning might just be on the money.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Leadie,

When should we expect to see it? I'm guessing about a year after the S5 so maybe 2008 spring?
    I just can't wait for this beast to come out!!

Hwany

Quote Originally Posted by Hwany View Post
    Leadie,

When should we expect to see it? I'm guessing about a year after the S5 so maybe 2008 spring?

Hwany
    More like 2009 I should think...

Taz
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
    B6 Audi A4 3.0 Sport Quattro Convertible - Volcano Black
    B5 Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE Saloon - Hibiscus Red
    Seat Leon 1.6 SE - Bilberry Red
    Porsche 996 Carrera - Arctic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Hwany View Post
    Leadie,

Hwany
    Unless things have changed at Quattro HQ I doubt it will be only a year away. Presently one RS model at a time has been the way things have been done but it is widely know that this is to change and allow them to product more and more often. I think you might see the car at a motorshow here the end of next year but doubt you will be able to buy one this side of 2009.

P.S.

Expect changes to the S5 in all departments like handling, gearbox and possibly engine prior to then though.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    HKS786,

I reckon you might be closer to the truth than you know with this 4.0v8TFSi engine. I have been told that the next RS4/5 engine would be turboed and the future engines will decrease in size.

Your reckoning might just be on the money.
    Wow, sounds good. I'm all for a turbo'd RS5. Like you pointed out with the RS6, Audi are managing to get a really good torque range...Whatever the case, this machine is gonna be a beast
    HKS786

Thanks for all the thoughts. I am going to call my Audi dealer and get on the "list". Hopefully I don't need to give them more $$$ as they allready have dough on the possibly dead American RS6.

I honestly think you will see the RS6 Sedan stateside. That seems to be what all the dealers are saying.
    "Four Rings to Rule Them All - Audi"

I think you can expect the new RS5 to regain top honours from the C63 and CLK63 as top dog when it comes, in other words expect a similar power boost over the M3 as the RS6 has over the M5.

Now that the RS4 has stopped production the N/A engine is dead as of now in RS models.

Banned
    The advantage of the Quattro GmbH approach is that their models have a hit and run approach. They go in when their competition is at the end of the lifecycle and leave before the new models turn up. So when the RS5 arrives, I assume the new M3 would be quiet long in the tooth already, just before the mid life update, so Spring 2009 seems likely for the RS5.

This isnt true of either the new RS6 or RS4. The RS4 was around way before the E92 M3. And the M5 hasnt been around long enough to say this is the end of its cycle. Its only half way through at most!
    Stop making stupid sweeping statements.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianM3_dude View Post
    The advantage of the Quattro GmbH approach is that their models have a hit and run approach. They go in when their competition is at the end of the lifecycle and leave before the new models turn up. So when the RS5 arrives, I assume the new M3 would be quiet long in the tooth already, just before the mid life update, so Spring 2009 seems likely for the RS5.
    That's silly nonsense. You could say that BMW decided to bring the new M3 just at the end of the RS4's life cycle but I wouldn't be that petty. The RS5 will be out in 2009 but the reason isn't anything to do with the fear of BMW but the fact that in companison to BMW's M-Division Audi's Quattro GmbH is very small and currently haven't the resources to product anything other than one RS model at a time and this has been the reason why the RS version has been close to the end of that model's life cycle so allowing for a short cycle and a new RS model every 2 or so years. It is changing but these things don't change over night.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by +44 Dave View Post
    This isnt true of either the new RS6 or RS4. The RS4 was around way before the E92 M3. And the M5 hasnt been around long enough to say this is the end of its cycle. Its only half way through at most!
    Stop making stupid sweeping statements.
    EXACTLY!!! It came out at the end of the E46 life cycle and Poof! dissapeared just as the e92 is hitting the market.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    That's silly nonsense. You could say that BMW decided to bring the new M3 just at the end of the RS4's life cycle but I wouldn't be that petty. The RS5 will be out in 2009 but the reason isn't anything to do with the fear of BMW but the fact that in companison to BMW's M-Division Audi's Quattro GmbH is very small and currently haven't the resources to product anything other than one RS model at a time and this has been the reason why the RS version has been close to the end of that model's life cycle so allowing for a short cycle and a new RS model every 2 or so years. It is changing but these things don't change over night.
    I don't criticize that strategy, I think it works. You can stay fresh and quit at the top of the game after such short periods. The last M3 was around for what???? Seven years??????

Quote Originally Posted by RussianM3_dude View Post
    I don't criticize that strategy, I think it works. You can stay fresh and quit at the top of the game after such short periods. The last M3 was around for what???? Seven years??????
    But this strategy has nothing to do with coming in at the end of the old M3 and leaving just at the start of the new M3, you seem to be forgetting that in numerous tests the RS4 has beaten the new M3 so don't for one minute think that Audi didn't believe that RS4 wasn't up to the task of competing with the competition.

When Quattro GmbH is expanded to allow for more models then you can expect the RS versions to have a life cycle befitting a top of range model.

P.S.
    Have you ever thought to yourself why every other roadtest finds the RS4 an amazing piece of kit which in many cases is better than the M3 old and new in everything ranging from steering to quality to handling and performance yet you have experienced none of this with your ownership. Does this not say something about your own abilities.
    Last edited by Leadfoot; October 9th, 2007 at 10:52.

Banned
    What??? I am too cool for school?????? I never doubted you can go fast with an RS4, what IMNSHO it lacks is excitement, fun and a sense of speed. If only Alfa were actually any good, they could have made a real alternative to Audi, unfortunately there is only BMW (well Mercedes is getting better too.)