Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan GTR faster than 911 Turbo around the Nordschleife!

Nissan GTR faster than 911 Turbo around the Nordschleife!

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightlin...hotopanel..1.*

There were plenty of enthusiasts who scoffed when Nissan's engineers started dragging a 911 Turbo around with them while testing the 2009 GT-R. It seemed like a lofty benchmark for a car that's expected to cost around $75,000, but the latest word from Germany suggests Nissan may have met its goals.

Prototypes of the 2009 GT-R started circling the Nurburgring yesterday, and according to spy shooters on the scene it was clear that the GT-R was running at full steam. With that in mind, they pulled out their stop watches to get an idea just how fast the GT-R was getting around the Nordschleife. The fastest hand timed lap came in at around 7:38, two seconds faster than the 911 Turbo's widely reported fastest lap of 7:40.

And as if that wasn’t enough to cement the GT-R's reputation around the Nurburgring, our spies also caught a couple shots of the Nissan blowing by the facelifted Porsche 911 Turbo we showed you earlier in the week. The Porsche may not have been running at full speed, but a pass is a pass.
    http://news.windingroad.com/body-sty...han-911-turbo/

Nissan has made it clear from the start that their new Skyline GT-R sports car is gunning for the Porsche 911 Turbo. A 911 Turbo has been the benchmark on hand during the Skyline track sessions, and some wheel-to-wheel, nose-to-tail battles have even been documented during testing. Nissan’s assault on Porsche’s pre-eminence has continued this past week at the Nürburgring, as test drivers have been running flat-out on the Nordschleife in pursuit of a fastest lap time than the 997 911 Turbo.We watched as a Porsche-driven prototype for a facelifted 911 Turbo was on the track at the same time as a Skyline GT-R prototype. Our observations from earlier test sessions–that the Skyline is as fast, and probably faster than the 911 Turbo–appeared to hold true this week, as the Skyline reeled-in, and overtook the 911 Turbo prototype. While this is not scientific by any means–the 911 may have been running a less-intense durability cycle, and not a flat-out race run–our reporters on the scene hand-timed several of the Skylines laps and they recorded a best lap of 7 minutes 38 seconds. If those times are accurate, then it appears that the Skyline may have bettered the 7:40 time logged by a 997 911 Turbo that stands as a lofty Nürburgring benchmark.

Nissan will be reportedly be continuing their run at the ‘Ring record books next week. We’ll be searching out any official confirmation of the Skyline’s lap times, but you can be sure that if Nissan is successful at dethroning the 911 Turbo, it will be trumpeted loudly during the car’s Tokyo debut in October.
    http://news.windingroad.com/body-stylesmar...than-911-turbo/

[/QUOTE]

Stage 1 upgrade - estimate 700bhp, here we come.

Now I'm going to pick a fight here... !

GT2 !!! How about that... !

Just kidding, new Nissan is great car, but I would get Porsche any day.

Sound promising that Nissan GT R35. I hope it really is what they claim, cuz if so....WOW, that is one hell of a car.
    I would take it any day over the Porsche...at least for a while, until I realize how much I've wanted a Porsche since i was a kid.

Testdriver versus a guy cruising?

Nah, it'll be an impressive car.. that's for sure. I can't wait to see laptimes on it!

since RS6MKII won't make it to US, maybe it's time to consider GT-R35.
    always a big fan of Nissan Skyline

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    Now I'm going to pick a fight here... !

GT2 !!! How about that... !

Just kidding, new Nissan is great car, but I would get Porsche any day.

Porsche any day for me too, but that's not to say, there's anything wrong with Nizmo

orders are being taken. apparently the base and spec-V versions will make 480 hp. they'll cost 60-70K USD. the EVO version runs about 520 hp and will cost close to 100K and be 200 lbs lighter.

i can assure you that plenty of cheap plastics will abound

still. it'll be nice to have such a car available on the market.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post

i can assure you that plenty of cheap plastics will abound
    Easier to replace when they become contaminated with passenger vomit. :360:

Banned
    Sounds great. Will probably be too expensive in Europe.

~£60k for UK.

If it is indeed £60K over here then it's going to be very competitive, because no other supercar will be offering some much performance for so little cash.

It only problem is the Japanese image to see past, no so easy when they build cars like the Micra.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    If it is indeed £60K over here then it's going to be very competitive, because no other supercar will be offering some much performance for so little cash.

It only problem is the Japanese image to see past, no so easy when they build cars like the Micra.
    Good point. What do you think of the styling so far? quite a lot of people are saying it has such a "boy racer" look with hood vents, huge quads, spoiler etc...

It's actually growing on me but I'm not 100% on the styling, cant wait to see it uncovered...
    HKS786

Irrespective if Nissan build's the Micra the GTR will be a benchmark setting car as all other versions have been.

Styling is good as it will give Ferrari owners a heads up on not trying to race this "boy racer"

Quote Originally Posted by HKS786 View Post
    Good point. What do you think of the styling so far? quite a lot of people are saying it has such a "boy racer" look with hood vents, huge quads, spoiler etc...

It's actually growing on me but I'm not 100% on the styling, cant wait to see it uncovered...
    The hood vents are NACA ducts (NACA being the predecessor of NASA). They help remove heat from the engine bay and prevent embarassing engine fires.

Z07 - Is there any detailed information on the power/drive train for the GT R35?

Quote Originally Posted by 42TT View Post
    Z07 - Is there any detailed information on the power/drive train for the GT R35?
    The best estimate to date is:

VR38DETT engine (TT 3.8 V6). 480bhp and 530bhp in Evo version. 420lbft@2500-5600rpm. 8000rpm redline. VGT turbos with electric assist.

AWD - vastly reworked ATTESA system.

Can't tell you anymore than that really.

Quote Originally Posted by Z07 View Post
    The hood vents are NACA ducts (NACA being the predecessor of NASA). They help remove heat from the engine bay and prevent embarassing engine fires.
    Yeah sorry, I didnt mean that they didnt have a function, I just meant in general some people think the car has an overrall "boy racer" look. I for one think it looks quite nice but I'm not 100% sure yet. I'll reserve judgment until it's uncovered.
    HKS786

Quote Originally Posted by HKS786 View Post
    Yeah sorry, I didnt mean that they didnt have a function, I just meant in general some people think the car has an overrall "boy racer" look. I for one think it looks quite nice but I'm not 100% sure yet. I'll reserve judgment until it's uncovered.
    It's a look you learn to live with.