0-200km/h:15.2s
    Weight: 1626kg
    Track Time: 1.40,1min

Vette C06

0-100km/h: 4.8s
    0-160km/h:10.1s
    0-200km/h:15.6s
    Weight: 1.44,2min

Now, few comments-tires on R8 were Pirelli P Zero The Hero in R8 specs version and on M3 were new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup +(new version-first cars to receive it are new M3 and 997 GT2, spces for both cars are little bit different but, new Cup + offers better street use and wet roadholding with excellent track potential). Both Hero's and Cup's + are current SOTA in tires development.

AZ stuff claimed that M3 engine is actually better then R8's and that is is currently the best German V8 in production(sorry C63...).

19" wheels were on both R8 and M3.

In current issue German Autostrassenverkher also testes R8, M3 and 997 GT3 on German race track Spreewaldring(more on http://www.spreewaldring.de/) and on this 2.7km track resluts were:

R8 1.37,5min
    M3 1.39,2min
    997GT3 1.37,8min

Track was partially wet...

Very good results for M3.
    It is condierably cheaper and not that bad-performer!

Hmm I would take either one of those cars as a weekend fun car, the P-car would be the first choice though.
    2007 RS4 Avant | Misano | Black Optics | SS+
    2001 S3 | Ebony

Have a look at what tires the M3 had to use
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

If you are interested in a cheaper semi-trackday car which will be bags of fun at the track then the M3 will be a hard choice to ignore but if you think that the M3 is as capable as the R8 in all disciplines then you will be sadly mistaken, it may be plenty quick enough on the track but the R8 will destroy it on the road and on any track which happens to be damp.

P.S.

No doubt Michelin will be developing Pilot Sport Cup tyres for the R8 so expect the gap to increase again.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    If you are interested in a cheaper semi-trackday car which will be bags of fun at the track then the M3 will be a hard choice to ignore but if you think that the M3 is as capable as the R8 in all disciplines then you will be sadly mistaken, it may be plenty quick enough on the track but the R8 will destroy it on the road and on any track which happens to be damp.

P.S.

No doubt Michelin will be developing Pilot Sport Cup tyres for the R8 so expect the gap to increase again.
    Amen! Give the R8 the same tires and see who's the daddy after that! :king:

Banned
    I don't see what's so special about the RS4 engine. Ok I whole-heartedly commend Audi for growing some danglies and actually meeting BMW head on with a NA engine (witness how they chickened out with the RS6). However it's not a very good engine unless you look at the spec. When I read the brochure, I was like "Wow, off the hizzle fo' shizzle!!!" but in real life it's just not that special except for the fact that it revs like no Audi before it.

The main problem is that it is very linear and one-dimensional. I see no difference in sound or delivery between 5 and 8250 rpm which means that I often shift too early or bounce of the limiter. The engine just doesn't push you to squeeze out every rev like the E46 M3 or a I4 sport bike. Also, there is not that much throttle response, not even close to something like the Ferrari 4.3 or the BMW 3.2 . Also, the direct injection whine just totally ruins the sound. It is weird, on some days I almost don't hear it and only the engine sound, other days their is so much whine, the engine sounds like a blender, complete crock.

It's not an engine with a lot of character. Very competent, but it leaves me cold. I heard the old Arese Alfa GTA V6... now THAT is how an engine should sound and feel. I can only imagine if Alfa had the cash to push it to 100hp/liter.

As for the R8... Audi definetly benefits from lowered expectations and the fact that it's cars are much easier to squeeze performance out of. I think from next year, once Porsche updates their engines... Game over, 911 will be back on top.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianM3_dude View Post
    Ok I whole-heartedly commend Audi for growing some danglies and actually meeting BMW head on with a NA engine (witness how they chickened out with the RS6).
    Chickened out? You havn't noticed that there are some plusses with a turbocharged engine that a NA engine can't achieve?

Things like 650nm of torque between 1500 and 6250 rpm?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruergard View Post
    Chickened out? You havn't noticed that there are some plusses with a turbocharged engine that a NA engine can't achieve?

Things like 650nm of torque between 1500 and 6250 rpm?
    Yeah & that translates to 0-200 in 14.9. With 580hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmm View Post
    Yeah & that translates to 0-200 in 14.9. With 580hp.
    I havn't talked anything about performancefigures, but if you wan't to take it to that. Take an M5 and a RS6 out on a road that isnt dead straight, not completely dry.. or why not at wintertime?

I have never before see the influx of BMW disruptors as there has been, since finally Audi have stepped out of the shadow of BMW and putting them in to the shade. Since the RS4 was introduced small voices started to appear which have grown steadily with the R8 and now RS6.

Clearly they don't like their beloved BMW not being top dog.

Lets face it - everyone picks a car for some reason or other.

I chose the RS4 because:
    - I need the Avant
    - I want Quattro (saved my life once)
    - I driver 30-40K km per year on 2nd grade roads (all year!) and I need the added safety in the snow of awd
    - the M5 wasn't loud enough (and the touring wasn't even available then) oh I don't like the styling either
    - I love Audi quality inside and out and relative problemless usability

Now - I'm sure people who pick M3s have different reasons - they want a coupe, they like the BMW styling etc.

Quite frankly I don't care which -car- is faster - the driver is what makes the difference anyway. Good bragging rights though.
    2007 RS4 Avant | Misano | Black Optics | SS+
    2001 S3 | Ebony

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruergard View Post
    I havn't talked anything about performancefigures, but if you wan't to take it to that. Take an M5 and a RS6 out on a road that isnt dead straight, not completely dry.. or why not at wintertime?
    Who races in imperfect conditions, really? Is it worth it? And if you win what do you prove? That your car is the imperfect weather champion? Anything can happen in imperfect conditions in any car.

Who races in imperfect conditions, really? Is it worth it? And if you win what do you prove? That your car is the imperfect weather champion? Anything can happen in imperfect conditions in any car.
    Who races in imperfect conditions?

Lets see now, there F1 racing drivers, formula 2/3/4 in fact every form of single seater cars have from time to time race in imperfect conditions. Then there is rally drivers, the really skilled drivers which almost always race in these conditions, I wonder what type of system their cars use.

Karting, touring cars, in fact the list goes on and on.

Sadly this is the sort of reply one expects from a person who prefers to drive a rwd car. The last time I looked the weather wasn't always perfect but clearly it's the only time you must be capable of racing so best only race during sunny spells and a bone dry track.

But sure anything can happen in imperfect conditions but it seems to always happen to rwd cars so why should we be concerned with that.

P.S.
    With the exception of rallying, all of the other forms of motorsport use only rwd and awd is banned. Quite possibly for the very reason that it rains when one least expects it or wants it and an awd set-up would have a very unfair advantage.

With regarding to the recent tests of the M3 vs the R8 and also the S5 vs the 335i even if both could only match the times of their respective rivals in the dry, the very fact that is anything other than perfect conditions they are able to hold a huge advantage makes then the superior set-up for an everyday car required to be driven 365 days of the year.

Banned
    No AWD is banned because it is boring and is a substitute for driver skill. Also, who drives fast in imperfect conditions anyway??????

Anyone who have to listen to pace-notes.

Or had you forgot that and it clear you have never tried or watch a rally as from the driver's seat there is nothing more exciting.

But once again the sort of reply expected from your kind.

Banned
    No rally is different, I love it too. However I drive on surfaced roads 99.99% of the time.

Well, I like to drive my cars every day of the year. No matter of the weather, it both rains and snows a lot up here. But with Quattro that's not really a big problem...

"Imperfect weather champion"
    No that the car I've choosed will perform very, very good in both good and bad conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Clearly they don't like their beloved BMW not being top dog.
    Agree, there's a lot of talk going on nowtimes!

Maybe we're going a bit to much offtopic now btw.