Yeah sure racing drivers race in imperfect conditions. I'm talking on the road. With other people. And pedestrians. And uncontrolled enviroment. Who races there with their personal car on the road.

IF the conditions are good, visibilty is great, no danger to others, then yeah it's on. But in imperfect conditions any car including 4WD can be in danger. 4WD cannot save you from lots of hazards that could happen on the road. It's simply not worth it to race unless all is good. I'm sure you know even a 4WD car has much longer stopping distances in the wet. And if you hit a puddle deep enough you will aquaplane in any car. Or if it rains for a few days & oil & water start mixing in the puddles at the long run-offs at the bottom of a hill. 4WD isn't going to help you if you hit a puddle of oil. Or a patch of black ice. You get my drift (excuse the pun)? Or the fact that visibility in not that good in the rain. You may not see someone or someone may not see you coming at 100mph in your quattro in the fast lane. Lots of older cars have steam on the windscreen or poor wipers, & we share the road with these guys.

Why not save it for a dry day to prove who's the man? I wouldn't race in the wet no matter what car I'm driving. There's a time & place for everything. It might be good to brag in a pub to your buddies that your car is the wet weather champion, but normal people settle down for a relaxed cruise home in the wet & fight another day.

And 4WD has no effect on safety in the wet. In an emergency you are on the brakes & hence 4WD has no advantage.