Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Autocar Full M3 Test

Well there is been many many discussions about the RS4 not having all its quoted HP so maybe the explanation is that the M3 is getting the same issue and even less real hp than the RS4. This could explain why M3 times are not better.

This is also my main question mark : how the RS4 with 4wd (power loss) and 100kg (approx) heavier can have the same chronos ????

Well I personally do not focus on finding the reason I better enjoy the fact

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    I think you might be missing the point of these big luxury sports saloons, all and I mean all of them are automatics of a sort, the Merc and Audi and proper automatics while the M5 is a semi-automatics but all of them can either run in fully automatic mode or semi with the use of paddles, the fact that the new RS6 will be running a ultra-quick shift pattern will feel like a manual. Just because all set are true auto does that make them any the less for it. It's the style of the breed, the majority of people that buy these type of cars are professional types who like the performance but not the trappings the usually go with them, like manual boxes, stiff ride and noisy interiors.

The Merc E63 is at the most comfort bias side of the scale and the M5 at the other with the RS6 most likely in between, but be understand no illusions all of them aren't sportscars in the true sense of the word.

So unless you are also directing your displeasure at the M5 then you can't have a problem with either the Merc or Audi, unless it's because of the brand name that you are having the problem with.
    I tried the M5 recently and didn't like it that much. I can see a lot more interesting things to do with 160,000 CHF and if I were rich... why buy the M5, go for the Bentley or an Aston or Brabus.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianM3_dude View Post
    I tried the M5 recently and didn't like it that much. I can see a lot more interesting things to do with 160,000 CHF and if I were rich... why buy the M5, go for the Bentley or an Aston or Brabus.
    All of the above still have automatic boxes, yeah they are great cars but with the exception of the Aston Martin all are basically the same as the others and are bringing nothing more to the table than exclusiveness and in the case of the Brabus monstrous power. But I thought you disliked the Aston because they all look the same and the Bentley is still surely a fancy VW, as for the Brabus well it still a Merc.

I don't personally have a problem with any of these cars but I don't see how you see them to be different from the other. Or is it just me who thinks this.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Fab View Post
    Well there is been many many discussions about the RS4 not having all its quoted HP so maybe the explanation is that the M3 is getting the same issue and even less real hp than the RS4. This could explain why M3 times are not better.

Well I personally do not focus on finding the reason I better enjoy the fact
    Let's just hope that BMW have learnt their lesson, that the M3 engine will keep together better this time.

Your last comment: perfect sense.
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    All of the above still have automatic boxes, yeah they are great cars but with the exception of the Aston Martin all are basically the same as the others and are bringing nothing more to the table than exclusiveness and in the case of the Brabus monstrous power. But I thought you disliked the Aston because they all look the same and the Bentley is still surely a fancy VW, as for the Brabus well it still a Merc.

I don't personally have a problem with any of these cars but I don't see how you see them to be different from the other. Or is it just me who thinks this.
    Well Bentley has no sporting pretense and is basically to lazily cruise about, Brabus I probably woouldn't get one actually. Astons look the same but are beautiful, it's like sleeping with a hot Milf, then her hot model daughter, then her hot younger sister. In the parlance of our time "I'd hit it." (cue the relevant PShopped image.) The V8 is actually pretty nice to drive.

Astons look the same but are beautiful, it's like sleeping with a hot Milf, then her hot model daughter, then her hot younger sister.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

The RS4 is more fast 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile! The wet circuit the RS4 is more fast than M3! Is incredible it is that the system quattro exactly in the speeds highest is almost equal the back traction of the M3!
    I waited much more of the new M3!
    RS POWER!

Beware

Quote Originally Posted by bastordd View Post
    The RS4 is more fast 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile!
    And the quarter mile is what wins the race, not the 0-200 km/h time. :cool2:
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Well Bentley has no sporting pretense and is basically to lazily cruise about, Brabus I probably woouldn't get one actually. Astons look the same but are beautiful, it's like sleeping with a hot Milf, then her hot model daughter, then her hot younger sister. In the parlance of our time "I'd hit it." (cue the relevant PShopped image.) The V8 is actually pretty nice to drive.
    This is the kind of interaction we are looking for, keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    And the quarter mile is what wins the race, not the 0-200 km/h time. :cool2:
    Correct, but only on the dragstrip as out on the open road away from the motorways you will seldom see a straight between corners that is even the distance of a 1/4mile. So I say what wins a race is the ability of the car in the corners and size of the balls between your legs.

Needless to say I walk like John Wayne.

All people it waited more of the new BMW M3! because the new V8 engine, BMW rwd, and less weight! But the RS4 it proved one more time that it is a top car!
    The new RS6 goes to finish with the all competition!
    RS POWER!

Banned
    BMW honestly just got lazy. Why shouldn't they? Their sales are up and up and they have tasted high profits and want more. They just don't feel the need to prove anything by releasing a very focused car anymore. Even if sales tank in Europe AND US, they will prbably sell all they can make in emerging markets, so why go the extra mile to impress a handfull of enthusiasts? Thus the M products have been steadily loosing focus recently and are getting more and more techno geeky.

However if the competition does indeed catch up in the next year or two, I expect M to finally get their act together.

BMW didn't get lazy, the competition just got better that's all and regardless of what the motoring press think of the M3, BMW have made to right move to make it less extreme because now it will play to a bigger audience than ever before. If you believe BMW has gone soft than the same has to be said about Porsche because the new GT3 is more like a Carrera S in drive-ability than any previous version and this proves that the majority of customers want their trackday specials to still be driven everyday instead of being parked up through the week.

BMW learned their costly lesson with the last CSL, it was too extreme and too expensive to be regarded as anything other than a toy and sadly too common of a brand to be regarded as special. The next one will drive a lot closer to the last M3 though going a little better than the current one and no doubt handling almost as well as the last one. But the price will have to be right for it to sell anyway well.

Banned
    BMW never planned to sell many E46CSLs. In fact they ended up building more then expected. I've seen some examples for sale with massive mileage, so daily driven.

BMW never planned to sell many E46CSLs. In fact they ended up building more then expected. I've seen some examples for sale with massive mileage, so daily driven.
    I can't speak for the rest of Europe but here in the UK which I might add is BMW's biggest market for M cars in Europe after German did sell well at all, in fact they didn't sell their expected quota and ended up heavily discounting them to within a few thousand pound over than the regular M3.

Now I can't believe that the UK's market was very much different than the rest of Europe but clearly you are saying it is.

Banned
    Not here in Switzerland.

As far as I remember, BMW doubled the original CSL allocation for Britain, p-offing existing owners, since the car became less rare and it affected resale value.

Not here in Switzerland.

As far as I remember, BMW doubled the original CSL allocation for Britain, p-offing existing owners, since the car became less rare and it affected resale value.
    The UK received 500 CSL of which all were meant to be sold out, but the reality was dealers were bringing them in to stock hoping to make a killing and only 390 something sold at full price according to a friend at BMW UK, the rest sat on Garage forecourts until the price dropped in some cases as low as £46K. I don't call that a success unless your opinions are a little different than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    Why do you think M3 is not that faster than RS4, counting AWD/RWD losses? You know, anyway AWD car loses more than RWD. The question is the difference of those losses...
    At least one manufacturer is telling fibs about their engine's power output. Interesting that Autocar felt the E46 M3 CS was better than the new M3.