Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why is the S4 missing?

why is the S4 missing?

i know this is a big question in everyone's mind. and i have a hypothesis. though i still believe that audi may show it once frankfurt opens (with the same engine as the S5's), if it DOESN"T then i propose that it is because audi plans on introducing a V6 TT powerplant for this car. a powerplant that would also go into the S5 next year (at the same time the S4 would bow). if audi did this it might be because the V6 TT wasn't ready at the time of the S5 launch and audi wanted an S5 to go on sale asap for marketing purposes, to try and upstage the 335i. might be a long shot but it is a little food for thought.

my 0.0000002
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Yeah I think you made some good points there. I literally just found out that Tokyo is Nov-Dec next year! No way can the S4 be that far away!

I've still got a feeling Audi MIGHT be trying to keep the S4 as a suprise at Frankfurt. Think how careful they were with the A4. We didnt see anything except their own teasers. Think of the S-line, we seen NOTHING until they showed us. I think they might only reveal the S4 in the flesh, hence the suprise...
    HKS786

Very good points, I think (know) we will know more at IAA.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

May be it will introduced at Tokyo but this year?

My source say the S4 will be introduced in 3th quarter 2008.
    Most likely with a 3.0 litre V6 bi-turbo FSI valvelift engine.

Hans.

i'd rather wait till tokyo and see a V6 TT go into the S4 and into the S5 in place of the V8 THAN see an S4 with the S5's current V8 at IAA . i am sure that only one of these two things will happen.

which will it be?

Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Well Hans, we have already discussed this between us and are in agreement that it's the best option over the V8 unit in the S5. The fact that it might receive valve-lift should mean a healthy increase over the 335i in both power and torque which by the way should run a lot higher in the rev range than is currently normal.

The thing which might surprise us more than the engine will be the other two hopefuls, DSG and Quattro3.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Guys, a question for you:

Valve-Lift technology - wil it be used in new RS6? Or there just FSI technology implemented?

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Well Hans, we have already discussed this between us and are in agreement that it's the best option over the V8 unit in the S5. The fact that it might receive valve-lift should mean a healthy increase over the 335i in both power and torque which by the way should run a lot higher in the rev range than is currently normal.

The thing which might surprise us more than the engine will be the other two hopefuls, DSG and Quattro3.
    tell me about it. the wait for this %^&^%*&^(*&^(^(^&^&(_ DSG and Q3 are

&*^(*&&*)(&*&)&(*&(*)_)**( KILLING ME
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    Guys, a question for you:

Valve-Lift technology - wil it be used in new RS6? Or there just FSI technology implemented?
    I have no idea, I am only told limited stuff, not the finer details but in saying that the stuff I do know of which I have only scratched the surface with is very impressive to say the least. No doubt some on the site might know if it's got Valve-Lift, me personally I doubt it, the S6 would have got this technology at the time and presently only two engines in the line up are running it and they aren't as complexed as the RS6 engine will be with it's turbos.

I dont expect that the RS6 will come with Valvelift technology. The car has enough power as it is although that would explain the extra HP figures coming from some sites at the moment.
    However i think Valvelift is much more likely to appear in a smaller engine, say a V6TT ? If Audi are going to use this technology which i havent heard for sure they will, it would be in the S4 or possibly new shape RS4 ?
    Nice hypothesis RXBG.

Quote Originally Posted by +44 Dave View Post
    I dont expect that the RS6 will come with Valvelift technology. The car has enough power as it is although that would explain the extra HP figures coming from some sites at the moment.
    However i think Valvelift is much more likely to appear in a smaller engine, say a V6TT ? If Audi are going to use this technology which i havent heard for sure they will, it would be in the S4 or possibly new shape RS4 ?
    Nice hypothesis RXBG.
    It's all seems realistic!

You have to look at it from a money stand point, the A6 is approaching it's second half of it's cycle so at most we can only expect 2~3 years before a new model will be launched, to pour millions in to a model that will only have this amount of life left would be silly, I might be wrong but I doubt Valve-Lift is a simple little fix to an existing engine and to tell you the truth I hope I am wrong on this one.

Don't get me wrong, the RS6 has got some new technologies that I might add is not on any other Audi at present so it will be special just not the tour de force on the technical front that some here might have been expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    My source say the S4 will be introduced in 3th quarter 2008.
    Most likely with a 3.0 litre V6 bi-turbo FSI valvelift engine.

Hans.
    Guess that confirms it. My source said the same thing.
    HKS786

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    You have to look at it from a money stand point, the A6 is approaching it's second half of it's cycle so at most we can only expect 2~3 years before a new model will be launched, to pour millions in to a model that will only have this amount of life left would be silly, I might be wrong but I doubt Valve-Lift is a simple little fix to an existing engine and to tell you the truth I hope I am wrong on this one.

Don't get me wrong, the RS6 has got some new technologies that I might add is not on any other Audi at present so it will be special just not the tour de force on the technical front that some here might have been expecting.
    You seem to be very reasonable.
    Next generation of A6 would comprise all the new technologies (Valve-lift, QTV, FSI, MLP and etc), I hope

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    You seem to be very reasonable.
    Next generation of A6 would comprise all the new technologies (Valve-lift, QTV, FSI, MLP and etc), I hope
    God knows, I hope so to, Valve-Lift will continue to be rolled out in ever inceasing numbers and QTV is on the horizon but as no model has been 100% confirmed with it it's a guess from any of us as to happen it will happen, I hope the S4 or RS5 will receive it and the same goes for DSG 7sp which will hopefully be launched in to the entire range of MLP models ahead of BMW, their main rival.

This new adaptive damper system is interesting on the A4, as yet no name has been given to it, is this a new version of the DRC or something new.

I am sure the S4 will have the V8. It would cost too much to change the S5 engine after only a year. Audi hasn't shown the S4 cause it wasn't leaked.

Chewym,

Why can't they use different engines for S4 and S5? The rumored V6TT is a better fit for S4.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]quattro rules...[/SIZE][/FONT]