Thread: Timing Belt suggestion?

Timing Belt suggestion?

I was scheduled for oil changed two weeks ago but didn’t perform because service rep. suggested me to do timing belt along with oil change to save me few bucks.
    >>
    The question is my car has 28000 miles on it and manual suggests 35,000 for timing belt.
    Do I have to do “timing belt” this earlier? or can just wait till it hits 35k?
    btw, also want to upgrade aftermarket diverter valve as well at the same time.
    >>
    Any suggestion? tks in advance.
    >>
    Ps, it’s still under warranty, any idea cost $ for timing belt?

My uncle owns one of the best European mechanic shops in the Midwest, and he is the only person in my local area authorized to work on my RS6, outside of Bluegrass Audi of course. I had the same question, since my car was at 30,000 miles when I last had it serviced. He told me to go ahead and wait until the 35,000 mile mark, which is coming up for me in about 800 miles. You must have it done...also, your dealer or mechanic shop will also service the intercoolers, turbos, transmission, basically everything. Since I choose not to drive to Louisville to get mine service under warranty, it will probably cost a few thousand dollars, plus I'm getting the brake pads and rotors replaced, which will cost around $2,000 or so. Remember, the car will also need it's timing belt serviced at 70,000 miles as well, but I suspect that will be several years from now. It's an expensive machine to maintain, but that's what perfection demands.
    2003 RS6, 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible, 2005 S4 Cabriolet, 2000 S4, & 2001 A6 2.8

TKS, guess I will wait till it hits 35k while I can hve more time to do research on brake pad, diverter valve, SS brake line..etc for upgrading!

Quote Originally Posted by AudiRS6JD View Post
    My uncle owns one of the best European mechanic shops in the Midwest, and he is the only person in my local area authorized to work on my RS6, outside of Bluegrass Audi of course. I had the same question, since my car was at 30,000 miles when I last had it serviced. He told me to go ahead and wait until the 35,000 mile mark, which is coming up for me in about 800 miles. You must have it done...also, your dealer or mechanic shop will also service the intercoolers, turbos, transmission, basically everything. Since I choose not to drive to Louisville .....
    I bought my RS6 at Bluegrass new as well. I had the first 3 year's annual warranty services done there, with oil changes here in the hometown using the correct oil and filter in between trips to Louisville; so oil was changed every 6 months.

From where I live, a trip to Chicago makes much more sense than a trip to Louisville, especially for this last service on the Audi Assured plan; simply because with all that will be done, it could take more than just one day. With the car in Chicago, I can leave it and take a train home after spending a nice weekend in the city. From Louisville, I would have to fly, with a connection, or rent a car for the opposite end of the roundtrip. 4 drives from the top to the bottom of Indiana is just too much, especially with 2 of them in a rental!!

So, after getting positive reports from RS6.com and AudiWorld folks on Continental Audi in soutwest suburban Chicago, I will take the car up there. I still love the guys at Bluegrass, just too far out of the way now.

I have only about 16,000 miles on my car now, but I am thinking of having everything done that is scheduled by the 4 year time interval simply because the warranty is ending and this will be the last service that I pay (very little) for.

By the way, I know a great veterinarian in Evansville. Went to school with him.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryindiana View Post
    I bought my RS6 at Bluegrass new as well. I had the first 3 year's annual warranty services done there, with oil changes here in the hometown using the correct oil and filter in between trips to Louisville; so oil was changed every 6 months.

From where I live, a trip to Chicago makes much more sense than a trip to Louisville, especially for this last service on the Audi Assured plan; simply because with all that will be done, it could take more than just one day. With the car in Chicago, I can leave it and take a train home after spending a nice weekend in the city. From Louisville, I would have to fly, with a connection, or rent a car for the opposite end of the roundtrip. 4 drives from the top to the bottom of Indiana is just too much, especially with 2 of them in a rental!!

So, after getting positive reports from RS6.com and AudiWorld folks on Continental Audi in soutwest suburban Chicago, I will take the car up there. I still love the guys at Bluegrass, just too far out of the way now.

I have only about 16,000 miles on my car now, but I am thinking of having everything done that is scheduled by the 4 year time interval simply because the warranty is ending and this will be the last service that I pay (very little) for.

By the way, I know a great veterinarian in Evansville. Went to school with him.
    Is the vet Dr. Greenbreier by any chance? I take my dog and cat to him...great guy. Still, gotta love that RS6, even though it is astronomically expensive to maintain in some cases.
    2003 RS6, 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible, 2005 S4 Cabriolet, 2000 S4, & 2001 A6 2.8

Smile Yup

Quote Originally Posted by AudiRS6JD View Post
    Is the vet Dr. Greenbreier by any chance? I take my dog and cat to him...great guy. Still, gotta love that RS6, even though it is astronomically expensive to maintain in some cases.
    Agree that the RS6 is worth the cost.

The vet's name is Dr. Duane Lautner. don't know where his office is. Haven't been down by E'ville in around 18 years. Maybe when they finally connect you with the rest of Indiana with the I-69 extension they are talking about.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

I picked up my RS6 with 50K, I was also able to have it certifed for another 2yr/50K. When I bought it the engine light use to come on and off. After they looked at it a second time, they found a faulty Torque Converter. It was replaced and they completed the 50k service. So it's a little heads up to watch for trans issues. Thank God it was covered.

Quote Originally Posted by jlmoran00 View Post
    ......... After they looked at it a second time, they found a faulty Torque Converter. It was replaced and they completed the 50k service. So it's a little heads up to watch for trans issues. Thank God it was covered.
    Thanks for the heads up. I am going to have the ATF changed at this 4 year interval just because, even though my mileage is low. At least ATF changed to the extent that it will drain. If I understand correctly, they have to drop the trans pan to do so. No drain plug??!!

is it normal to ask your VIN when schedule a oil change?

Something like that

Quote Originally Posted by emc2rs4 View Post
    is it normal to ask your VIN when schedule a oil change?
    I think they need the VIN of the service is done under Audi Assured no cost maintenance. The dealer service department submits an invoice to Audi of America with your VIN on it. That's how they get paid.

tks a lot for info. but just wondering why they can't wait when I drive beast in?

I am a bit confused here. If the car is under warranty still, why are you worried about saving a few bucks? Timing belt is part of the warranty, and so will be the oil change. Thus, you should be charged nothing/zero/nada!!!

If my dealer wanted to do the timing belt at 28K, I'd do it. What is another 6K miles anyway. However, I would double check that indeed your car is still under warranty, because if that is the case, it shouldn't cost you a penny for the service you are requesting.

I can understand where an oil change out of service schedule, such at 30K miles would cost you about $130 or so, but the timing belt should be free. Or you can choose to wait for the timing belt at 35K as long as car is still under warranty, and do another oil change than.

I did an out-of-pocket oil change at 30K.
    I got the timing belt and oil change for free at 35K as part of the factory recommended schedule.

Your call!!!!!

Nene, you really clean my mind regarding the warranty related questions.
    because when I bought my Acura MDA back in 2001 then and rememberd paid for timing belt(actually can't really remember if it's under warranty or out of it) so that's why I was wondering.

I really like this forum. ppl here are great help with extensive knowledge not only on cars but also lots of other stuff....etc

hope one day here that I can answer some questions but guess will tie to marketing, design, web stuff... ~><~~