Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R8 vs new M3. will be close.

R8 vs new M3. will be close.

new C and D is just out --------------------

M3 in new C and D , manual / R8 (in R and T, r-tronic)

skidpad 0.94 / 0.97

0-60 4.4/ 4.3

0-120 15.1 /15.3

1/4 mile 12.9 @ 111 / 12.7 @ 111

does anyone have the mag that retested the R8 in manual and got 4.0 to 60? i can't recall which one it was.

this comparo will be similar to a future RS5 vs V8 R8 comparo. the R8 will handily beat these cars in the handling dept, not to mention the appearance dept. and it'll be much more exclusive.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

i will say that this is just a birds eye view. we will need (and get) a head to head with the new M3 in the future. the R8 will always be a bit faster, but i do think it will be significantly quicker overall, especially on the track. not to mention when it rains. one could also criticize porsche since the 997S is more costly than the new M3 and not as fast. but the porsche and audi have something the M3, C63, and RS5 won't touch- exoticness and exclusivity, the R8 even more so than the carrera.

i think the M3 will cost close to 70K well optioned out. the R8 will cost 40K more.

it is a 40K question whose side i know i am on. ;p
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

First of all , I donīt trust what any mag says , good or bad .
    There is no way than a stock M3 can beat a R8 , if driven properly . Believe me , last week in a R8 track experience , one of the Audi engineers made a start and the four seconds are much closer to reality than anything else (manual or R-tronic) .
    The car is awesome and fast very very fast . I liked the R-tronic gearbox when I drived the car around my city , in the track is impressive , but the manual is almost better . The sound when changing gears (click) ... Actually my "best" laps where on the manual R8 .
    By the way the Audi guys told me that the V10 is almost ready and their "word" was WOW what a car it is so elstimpo just a bit more patience .
    They said that the reason for the V8 was the reliability , the engine has to run without any problems in Audi first supercar , now they have tested the V10 to the limit and is ready .
    When you have eliminated the impossible , whatever remains , however improbable , must be the truth.
    ..Sherlock Holmes..

elstimpo- i do mean USD figures. yes, 40K USD is a lot of money. you'd have to be a passionate audi lover and/or have enough money to not mind that extra 40K.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

R8 from Road and Track (manual)

0-60 in 4.0 (Motor Trend got it in 3.9 seconds)
    0-100 in 10.1
    1/4 mile in 12.5 seconds @ 113.2

Guys, I have recently tested new R8 with R-tronic and M3 CLS with chip tuning (about 370 hp). And we also tested 997 Carrera 4S.

I should say that in straight line acceleration M3 CLS was quicker than R8 after 100mph. The owner of R8 was VERY dissapointed.

So new M3 V8 with RWD will be definitely faster at high speeds because Quattro "eats" too much power. But the situation is that R8 is handled a little bit better than M3 and will have a great advantage on slippery surfaces.
    To say about Carrera 4s vs R8 - R8 is a clear winner in all categories! Everybody who tested liked R8 more.

And in my opinion, the chassis of R8 could handle much more power than just V8. It is underpowered certainly and V10 will be the right engine for the car. Really, R8 is a fascinating car, but it needs to have V10 to be a real sportcar.

By now, M3 looks better in terms "value for money".
    M3 will cost in mycountry about 120K USD, and R8 is about 200K USD.
    The difference is great BTW. So we should wait for V10 to know for sure what we pay for!

But don't be offensive for my post - I just tried to express my opinion about all these cars. R8 is certainly a great car with great future!

sorry slightly off topic but my friends have tested CSL's standard and just remapped and there was no difference in acceleration whatsoever, standard CSL has 365 bhp and DMS can do 372 plus delimit, i mean what's the point of 5-7 bhp extra?? Back to topic, i really should think R8 should be way more powerfull, the looks are gorgeous but the power doesn't match its looks

i do think that, properly launched, the M3 will be near as fast, but it will take a VERY good launch for the M3 to stay at the rear quarter panel of the R8 and to keep up at that level. from a roll it will be much easier.

but we have to remember guys, that in the real world most of us don't have the ability to get out of these cars what they are capable of. it was quite difficult for regular people driving the R8 at the dealer launches and in drive events to keep up with the instructors who were in the slower RS4s.

real life is vastly different than the track. you would need a car 50% more powerful than another to really embarrass it in typical daily driving antics on public roads. on a straight road, my much more powerful S4 can be kept up with by a V6 altima if the S is in the wrong gear and the altima is in the right one going full out.

this is why driving school is so important. it lets us drive our cars better overall, lets us get rid of aggression, and makes for a better showing on those rare empty, open roads when we jimmy up to a 911 or new M3.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

RXBG,

man, you are right!

I'm sorry but I don't get the point of all this comparing an M3 or RS4 with a R8, why.

The a R8 is not a practical coupe/saloon like either of them, it's a car which is as much purchased on it's looks and the way it makes you feel (ie. special) as it is about the speed and handling. Take the first part of my argument, it drives amazingly good, it easier to drive and more practical as an everyday supercar than about any other this side of a 997, then there is the interior which is simply a work of art and possibly the most special place anyone could seat in that is attached to an engine and four wheels. As for it's looks, well the R8 in a lot of people's eyes looks the best supercar currently on sale and after seeing one sitting beside a S5 which I might add looks better than an M3v8 and it so plain compared to the R8, this as much as it's performance is why you buy the R8.

Secondly it's handling and performance, the R8 has already shown itself on tracks like the Bedford Autodome with EVO that it's one of the best handling supercars never mind normal cars and this places it well ahead of the likes of the RS4 and M3, as for the performance well look no further than the soon to arrive RS6, with it's performance it will be the equal of cars many thousand of $/Ģ more than it, will we still be having this argument when it arrive or we will see it as a totally different animal and the regard it as such.

Just like an expensive Breitling or Rolex watch, you don't buy it just to tell the time now do you because a cheap Casio will do the same.
    Search and you will find the truth.

wtf do anyone compare R8 to M3?are they nuts? R8 is a supercar and M3 is a sporstcar...that's it...

If in doubt as to whether the R8 is worth the extra over and above that of an M3 or RS4 just read the review in CAR this month. Enlightening.:asian:

no doubt leadie. just saying that the new M3 will be nearly as fast in a straight line. that's all. with a few mods it'll keep up in the twisties as well. but it'll be invisble when parked next to an R8.

it's ok to be nearly as fast as an R8. a well modded EVO can outperform an F430. so who cares?

i don't. i'll get to park an R8 in my garage every night
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

RXBG,

Glad to hear you agree that there is more to owning a car than being fastest in a straight line. In any case, I reckon the R8 is currently one of the most special cars to own regardless of it's performance and with the introduction of the V10 this model will be doubly so, in fact I can't think of another car apart from the GT3/turbo which at the price could be as pleasurable to own.

You lucky devil.

they should have made the R8 w/ a little bit more power
    around 450

since i think the RS5 will weigh about 200 lbs more than the R8 and make 450 hp (at most) it'll be similar to the M3 in performance and, therefore, make for a good chase partner in highway encounters with the R8.

by chase i mean "chasing behind", of course. unable to catch up, but only a fart's length behind,
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

I hope for the RS5 to be 100lbs less than the S5, but with the same 420hp V8.....I hope im right.

i think it'll be close to the S5. but not significantly lighter. the MLP platfrom is std on both. what the RS5 may lose in more aluminum components and seats it'll likely gain back with an active suspension (probably not magnetic) and engine changes. it'll be a draw weight wise, but the wieght exchanges will produce an awesome machine. probably better than the M3 in every way.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10