Thread: Real Aluminum Trim

Real Aluminum Trim

When I got my RS6 I was disappointed (after only seeing pictures) that the side mirrors and the trim weren't real brushed aluminum metal, but instead were plastic painted/covered to look like it. Is this the case with all RS6's? Or, is this another way Audi made the US version more affordable (similar to the downgraded non-Recaro seats)?

Thanks.

I think that Audi made the mirrors of aluminum up until the middle of 2003 model year!

Yours is a European model. Did all European models have real aluminum and American models painted??

And which year model is you RS6?
    What about other RS and S models? Is there the same problem with trim?
    EATRICE, you can order real alu RS6 mirrors or search the eBay and some online shops like this I think they can deliver it to the US
    But they are more like US $1000 for the pair

I had a 2004 S4 and it had real alloy door mirrors on it, so I reckon they are still them in Europe at least.
    Search and you will find the truth.

the parts database says that they should be aluminium (mine certanily are) unless you ordered the special body-coloured mirrors...
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

This article can be useful http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_1636.shtml
    From the article: "When the mirrors arrived, we learned they were finished plastic, and not actual aluminum. Doing a little research, we learned that Audi made the mirrors of aluminum up until midway through the 2003 model year. After that point, a switch was made to plastic. Whether or not all Audis have been switched we do not know, but the mirrors we received were of the plastic variety. Still, the price from VAGParts was very good, so there’s no complaint here."

Quote Originally Posted by Arslanoff View Post
    This article can be useful http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_1636.shtml
    From the article: "When the mirrors arrived, we learned they were finished plastic, and not actual aluminum. Doing a little research, we learned that Audi made the mirrors of aluminum up until midway through the 2003 model year. After that point, a switch was made to plastic. Whether or not all Audis have been switched we do not know, but the mirrors we received were of the plastic variety. Still, the price from VAGParts was very good, so there’s no complaint here."
    That explains why they were plastic and not alloy because the real ones cost several hundred pounds to replace as I mate of mine got his and the front grill stolen. After this happened twice so he decided to change to standard mirrors.
    Search and you will find the truth.