Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few technical questions.

Banned

A few technical questions.

I was talking today with an owner of a B6 S4 and we came to the conclusion that I might have a few issues with my engine.

1. Yesterday, I started the car and after a few seconds of idling the engine began to "die" slowly. I switched the car off, restarted and it was ok except that it was idling at 1100rpm.

2. I have an ugly whistling sound coming from the engine. The S4 dude told me it's not normal. The sound is audible even under full acceleration.

3. When stationary and turning the steering wheel fully side to side, there is a big variation of revs at idle, steering pump problem?

4. The one touch window buttons have a habit of occasionally not working at all or working some of the time is that a problem?

Finally is there a way to know if my vehicle was a pre-production example? Anybody have chassis numbers I can compare to?

Thanks.

mmm, i have a small sound and vibration on the steering wheel and on the floor too when i was idling around 1000-2000. the sound is like the belt sound sth like supercharge sound those "wuuuuuuu" dont know is it normal or not. but when it revvs over 2000 it wont have this sound

Banned
    Me I always have this "supercharger" whine. Audible even at maximum acceleration.

mmmm what about when its in Nutral 1000-2000 rpm
    i have it only on this.

i was buying an H&R spring and was confurming is it this model and then the chasis body number is sth 8E and then the shop guy says that it should be 9E and 8E is an older model so its very wierd

The whine is normal with all the 4.2 V8's. I had it with my B6 S4 and I have it with my B7 RS4.
    [IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/bushido01s4/mcaskyline.jpg[/IMG]

Banned
    I see. It's just that it's really ugly and other V8 cars don't have it.

Why don't you go to your dealer and take a test drive in another RS4? This way you can see if the issues are with your car only..?

Taz :asian:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
    B6 Audi A4 3.0 Sport Quattro Convertible - Volcano Black
    B5 Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE Saloon - Hibiscus Red
    Seat Leon 1.6 SE - Bilberry Red
    Porsche 996 Carrera - Arctic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by RussianM3_dude View Post
    I agree you. Have driven 2 different S4 and wondered why there is that stupid whuuu sound coming all the time when accelerating.

Why don't you get rid of your car and move on with your life? You're obviously not happy w/ it and causes you undue stress. It's like a daily bitchfest.

Banned
    Well, I am stuck with the car because it's a lease, and braking it would mean the loss of 30K CHF first payment, sooo I'll wait a few months.

I was talking today with an owner of a B6 S4 and we came to the conclusion that I might have a few issues with my engine.
    1) Sounds to me like you have some deposits built up in the valves and combustion chamber, or you have some other issue. How do you maintain your car? When was the last oil change? How many miles do you have on your car? Have you or the dealer pulled the fault codes from the ECU? This will most likely point to an issue. It could just require using some fuel cleaner to several tanks of gas. Or it could be one of a couple of minor TSBs that are out on the engine. I also recall that their is a European ECU reflash that might solve the issue. A dealer will be able to diagnose it in no time.

FYI, I have 26K miles on my US RS4 and no issues. But I use a small does of fuel additive in every tank of fuel to keep the injectors clean. And, I've made sure that I change oil frequently, well before the Audi required intervals.

2) The whistling sound is the whine from the high pressure fuel pumps for the fuel rail. This is normal. Since a B6S4 does not use direct injection, it does not have this pump and thus no sound.

3) Could be a steering pump problem, or it could be related to #1) If there is an issue causing the engine to have problems idling, this might also manifest itself as rpm variations as the load changes, while you engage the power steering. I suspect if #1 is fixed this will go away.

4) I have no clue, but the system can become deprogrammed. There is a proceedure for reseting the automatic window system, but I do not know it. I'd suggest searching the AudiWorld archives.

Banned
    Well, I just got my car back and the dealer updated the software (which he should have done two months ago) and ordered a new door panel and switch relays. As for the whining and whistling, he said all RS4s sound like that. To which I said that it is one ugly sounding motor. Can't believe people rave about it. Seriously, it sounds so ugly I don't want to rev it past 6000. 90% of the time it sounds like a supercharged electric blender.

RussianM3_dude, it is what it is. I can understand why you might not like the sound. And yes, it does have a supercharger whine. It's the reality of pressuring fuel to 1800 psi for the fuel rail. I actually like the sound, and to me it's definitely mean when you hear it coming down the road. But that's a subjective opinion. I can understand why yours would differ.

One way to resolve the noise issue is to change your exhaust system like I have. I've got Milltek downpipes and non-res catbacks on my car. The sound of the exhaust dominates the overall sound of the engine.

Well, I just got my car back and the dealer updated the software (which he should have done two months ago) and ordered a new door panel and switch relays. As for the whining and whistling, he said all RS4s sound like that. To which I said that it is one ugly sounding motor. Can't believe people rave about it. Seriously, it sounds so ugly I don't want to rev it past 6000. 90% of the time it sounds like a supercharged electric blender.
    The sound you're complaining about (that's probably the only thing you really do well because that's the only thing you've been doing on this board for the last couple of weeks!) is related to the way the gears are cut. They are more "square" to be able to sustain more power.

I actually like that sound because it shows how different this car is (the connaisseur would know why the car is making that sound)

But again there's a really simple solution to your problem just sell the car and get something else. Please, make sure you don't get another Audi which would mean that you'll have nothing to do here anymore. You'll be releived of your bad buy and we'll all feel much better as you'll stop ranting on the board.

Banned
    Can't get rid of the RS4. I am really stuck with it for at least 18months.

As for the sound... It's really bad compared to similiar powered V8s. Crikey, how come the Maser 4.2 Liter does not sound like a cross between a nitro powered washing machine and an industrial blender with a bad Mono dub of a late 80's Camaro V8 rumble? The Maser sounds great at any engine speed, absolutely no need to make excuses about it.

Banned
    I guess, from outside the exhaust sounds pretty good as I've seen from the many youtube videos. From inside, it's a disaster. All you hear is whining and grinding and whistling.

OH MY GOD....

Taz :MTM:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
    B6 Audi A4 3.0 Sport Quattro Convertible - Volcano Black
    B5 Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE Saloon - Hibiscus Red
    Seat Leon 1.6 SE - Bilberry Red
    Porsche 996 Carrera - Arctic Silver

I guess, from outside the exhaust sounds pretty good as I've seen from the many youtube videos. From inside, it's a disaster. All you hear is whining and grinding and whistling.
    Maybe there's something wrong with your engine after all. There's nothing like what you describe in mine just the nice melody of the V8. The whistling is only audibile from the outside.

Have it check it's really not normal.