Thread: Want to know why new RS6 needs 580hp?? Because the drivetrain will eat it all

Want to know why new RS6 needs 580hp?? Because the drivetrain will eat it all

Despite at least 73hp advantage over the M5, the RS6 will hardly put the same amount of power on wheels.
    As seen in recent test (http://www.rri.se/popup/performanceg...p?ChartsID=281) , Audi's belong to the worst performing cars.
    So, as M5 can put around 93% of its engine power to the wheels (471hp), the RS6 with 580hp will put down roughly 481hp (only 83%)...
    I know the 4WD has many advantages but to me this is a bit too much..

Buy an M5. Problem solved

42tt

Yes,
    and TT and S3 are putting more 100%. So the BMW 130 sucks....
    comon

There is nothing conclusive about that but the fact that the claimed power is not the real power in each model.

Well since an S3 is putting 100% maybe it will be the same with the new RS6. With turbos it is obviously easier to overboost the power over the claimed figures..

Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    Yes,
    and TT and S3 are putting more 100%. So the BMW 130 sucks....
    comon

There is nothing conclusive about that but the fact that the claimed power is not the real power in each model.
    Last edited by Michal12; July 11th, 2007 at 18:25.

Power figures are nt "over claimed" you have to understand that the 4wd with the automatic transmission will absorb more than a rwd manual car.

This is the case with any automatic and/or 4WD car.

42tt

I'm keely interested in this drivetrain power loss that I've heard about. Can anyone tell me where in the RS6 drivetrain it is lost (transferred)?

I ask b/c energy is never "lost". It is transferred. Either work is done or heat is created, or both. The energy has to go somewhere. So, if twist-force is being lost in a gearbox, then those gears must be really tight, causing a lot of load and heat -bad.
    Last edited by EATRICE; July 11th, 2007 at 18:57.

"M5 can put around 93% of its engine power to the wheels" yeah. when they're not spinning from lack of traction. in the rain that 93% will go to 39%. i'll take quattro any day. any day.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by Michal12 View Post
    Well since an S3 is putting 100% maybe it will be the same with the new RS6. With turbos it is obviously easier to overboost the power over the claimed figures..
    Hey, you come to an Audi forum to make those such claim and do not even bother to spread your sample in that site.

Try the BMW550.

Again, RS4 is know for to be underpowered on the first 5-10k km and the BMW M5 overpowered (figures are around 530hp).

Do a search on m5board.
    Once there, you will see that you will be more welcome to do such claims.

Best Regards

re: .-1, .-2

exactly. this sort of nonsense just illustrates how gullible people are (do they actually drive cars fast, or just read brouchers?).

on a track, car & driver magazine found that the slower, heavier, less powerful s6 was within 1/2 a sec of the lighter, more powerful and faster m5.

why? beause power to the ground is the key. 4 x 0.2 is a damn sight better than 2 x 0.2
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

I think people are getting me wrong. For a start, please note I AM an Audi owner.
    But I thought it would be interesting to point out that real power on wheels for both RS6 and M5 will be very close. Hence I would cool down some of those wild expectations I saw here (0-100kph in 4sec flat and so on) that are based on 580hp figure (regardless how imperessive that figure is)

Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    Hey, you come to an Audi forum to make those such claim and do not even bother to spread your sample in that site.

Try the BMW550.

Again, RS4 is know for to be underpowered on the first 5-10k km and the BMW M5 overpowered (figures are around 530hp).

Do a search on m5board.
    Once there, you will see that you will be more welcome to do such claims.

Best Regards

Uff, this topic is gathering momentum ... but why I ask?

Look guys,

This topic is a tosh I think and I completely agree with the comments made by Skiwi in another thread (red herring I think was the word)

It is of course well known that Audi's 4WD system loses more power to than BWM's RWD but really look at the claims of the importance of this fact and then look at reality. If the claims were right that Audis were snubbing their customers on performance BMWs should pounce and trounce Audis in the real world which is clearly not the case.

Clearly, on the Autobahn two 'equally' powered Audis and BMW will see the BWM walk away, I don't deny that for a moment. This also goes for a rolling start duel (i.e. all those airstrip videos we have seen) but there is more than that to the performance of a car. In fact, if you look at performance does Audi then snub their customers? I don't think so, the RS4 can easily do 0-100 and 0-160 in the advertised times.

Also and even though this has already been widely argued ... Quattro has the advantage that it always puts the maximum power to the ground which means that around a track an S/RS Audi will put at least as much power to the ground as an equally powered BMW which will lose traction power especially of course if the conditions are slippery.

In short; look at what the car does on the road and not only what it does on a dyno and in a straight line drag.