Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PSS9's anyone else have knocking/clunking noises at really really slow speeds

Registered User DetailersDomain's Avatar

PSS9's anyone else have knocking/clunking noises at really really slow speeds

The noise is only when I make really slow turns into driveways and the wheel is turned either fully right or left about 45 degress -80 degrees (left or right)

what is the solution? please help.
    Phil Yiu
    Detailer's Domain
    e-mail: phil@detailersdomain.com

Quick....

Put some FK506 and Cyclosporine in the tank, STAT, then get Cyclosporine Levels in the morning...you may also need Prednisone...

clearly your car is REJECTING the transplanted suspension....

Just kidding...

It sounds like something other than the shocks, prehaps something came loose after the install, I'd have all the connections checked and retorqued.

Looking forward to hearing what the real problem is.

Of course hearing of a possible PSS9 problem does concern me as that is where I am headed if DRC fails again.

Mike
    L

Well the good news/bad news

I don't think it is your suspension...I have the EXACT same issue for the last several months and I have original DRC. At last service visit they didn't find anything in the suspension except a slightly loose sway bar but that was not it...I am beginning to think it has something to do with the steering. Going in this Friday for the problem...will post if they figure out what it is.
    Last edited by mmaturo; July 10th, 2007 at 00:04. Reason: spelling
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

there were some posts about the streering rack being loose on some cars, perhaps that is it.

Mike

thats precisely what i am thinking at this point, and doing a search here and Audiworld...this post helped confirm that for me as i am all stock and so someone with a replaced suspension has the exact same problem and he described it better than i have so far to my service advisor...key is the amount of the wheel being turned, low speeds and a change in level or bumps at the same time which i experimented with tonight and sure enough it occurs everytime. Love the internet, just wished I had this somewhat figured out a month ago when i took it in and nothing could be found.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible

Has everyone agreed that a loose steering rack is at fault for both these cars? Or, have either/both been repaired?

'Cause BLITZEN has a knock at slow speed but only when I'm backing and turn the wheel to the right (like out of a parking space or driveway). Happens on smooth pavement. Is mine be the same problem?

Or, are there any other hypotheses??

Mine is going in Friday (July 13th appropiately). Yours may be a CV joint (had what you describe in my old TT and it was joint) as my clunking/popping happens going forward 90% of the time...I will post the fix assuming they find it. Other possible causes suggested or i found on search are CV joints or front axels and a clicking/popping from the front brake calipers. I am going to mention all to the service advisor but seems calipers would not create what i am hearing and feeling (pretty loud) and i think my CV joints have been checked already. Driving me nuts though so hope they find it.

Hi there,
    Have a similar problem but very slight - full right turn, slow speed, change of levels (and have also produced it on the flat). Went out for a test drive with the dealer last week, I could not reproduce the noise, car has covered 18000 miles. Will be good to know what you find, I shall watch for your Post, Thanks.

Barry Daytona Avant UK

would love to know as well. I'll check the theory of the steering as well.
    Phil Yiu
    Detailer's Domain

I can confirm loose steering rack caused same noise described- a solid loud clunk.

I could replicate the 'clunk' noise with dealer mechanic in the car by driving slowly ahead and then jerking the steering wheel to the left

after the beast went into the shop all steering rack mounts tightened, plus all front end suspension mounts - clunk then gone on attempt to repeat clunk as described above.

Have never heard this clunk since.

However, every time when i back out of steep driveway at home after start up and back to the right, always get a slight click from the front left wheel which feels a bit like the disc brakes resetting themselves on the discs or similar.

I do not hear this noise when carrying out same motion and the beast is warmed up.

thanks for the update.
    Phil Yiu
    Detailer's Domain

Quote Originally Posted by aussie rs6 View Post
    However, every time when i back out of steep driveway at home after start up and back to the right, always get a slight click from the front left wheel which feels a bit like the disc brakes resetting themselves on the discs or similar.

I do not hear this noise when carrying out same motion and the beast is warmed up.
    I hear a similar clicking noise from my front end, I noticed first when the warm weather came after my first winter (got the car in Dec) when I drove with the windows open.

It has been constant for nearly 4 years, not changing, but always there, the mechanics never admit hearing it but many passengers have noticed it.

Typically when changing grade at slow speeds like going up a sidewalk or over a lip in the garrage.

I think it is the mount for the Auto Leveling sensor for the headlights. Its a spring loaded metal clip mount.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    I think it is the mount for the Auto Leveling sensor for the headlights. Its a spring loaded metal clip mount.
    I think the headlight leveling is the dumbest thing they have on the RS6. Isn't that what the DSC is for? I'd like to save a couple pounds by removing the headlight leveling along with the headlight washer, OnStar and (crappy) Navigation.

Thanks Aussie for sharing your experience. I hope that's all it is.

wait one darn minute...

The Headlight washers are GREAT.....the first Car I had that had them was the 4.2 A6, love it in the winter instead of having to stop and wash the lights when driving in the snow at night....love that feature...

Also the auto dimming mirrors - great feature.

onstar was fine while it lasted, stopped paying for minimum service as I don't need the cell phone part any more (living in an area with excellent cell coverage handheld works great everywhere). Never needed the 'save me' features...

Mike

Weeeelllll my car spent a week at the dealer waiting for parts and working on the problem...unfortunately they could not figure it out. It is a little bit better but still pops as described moving slowly in a turn over a change in level. They replaced the stabilizer bar and the links it attaches too and checked all other suspension components (control arms), checked wheel bearings, axels etc. and couldn't find anything abnormal. They looked around for other causes but couldn't find anything...so still doing it but seems 50% less. I guess I will deal with it till next service visit for something else and add that to the list to keep digging. Oh well.

well, hows the handling with the PSS9?

hey everyone here is the update, raised the front suspension about 1/2 an inch and the noise now is about 99% gone I'm guessing if I raise it just a bit more it will go away.

I love the handling the PSS9's it tightens things up a bit and its not harsh at all.
    My setting are 6 all around.
    Phil Yiu
    Detailer's Domain

excellent.

what was the total cost and who did it for you?

Mike