Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PSS9's anyone else have knocking/clunking noises at really really slow speeds

Quote Originally Posted by mmaturo View Post
    Weeeelllll my car spent a week at the dealer waiting for parts and working on the problem...unfortunately they could not figure it out. It is a little bit better but still pops as described moving slowly in a turn over a change in level. They replaced the stabilizer bar and the links it attaches too and checked all other suspension components (control arms), checked wheel bearings, axels etc. and couldn't find anything abnormal. They looked around for other causes but couldn't find anything...so still doing it but seems 50% less. I guess I will deal with it till next service visit for something else and add that to the list to keep digging. Oh well.
    Your clunking is probably from the drc being broken. There is a design flaw in them and they will leak and then clunk and need to be replaced as well as the central valving for the drc. Your best bet is to get an aftermarket suspension as the replacement drc will fail again.

Quote Originally Posted by JCT2033 View Post
    I am having the same problem as Barry in lace>UKlace> under the same situation described by Barry. I also have a stock suspension system and the same type of noise – a rattle like a loose component – coming from the front left wheel well. >>
    > >
    I went to couple dealers and have replaced the whole DSC system (all shocks and both accumulators) and even some brackets and bolts in the left wheel. >>
    > >
    The noise did go away briefly after one of the dealers did the alignment with some detail adjustments on the toe (according to the dealer).>>
    > >
    I am planning to take it back to the dealer next week and hopefully we can solve this crazy problem this time. >>

I finally took my car to the local dealer two Fridays ago for the clunking noise in the driver side wheel during a slow-right turn in to/over a dip or uneven surface. The technician finally called and told me that he is ordering the lower control-arm and related parts for the passenger side. He thinks although the noise is coming from the driver side, but it’s caused by the bushing in the lower control-arm of the opposite side. It’s hard for me to understand, but I am happy to wait and see the result. I will keep you updated.

I han a similar noise coming from front left wheel area which manifested itself with a sharp turn of the steering wheel either left or right at very low speed.

It turned out that the bolts holding the steering rack on were not tightened up enough.

This is such an obvious fix, I am sure the audi mechanic has tried this already.

just my two cents worth

I still have the noise problem when driving very slow over a change in levels, and turning - I have stock and all new DSC - anyone solved it yet? - My Dealer now says may be Body Flex or noise from within the Dashboard??????

When turning right the noise seams to come from the front left wheel arch.

Any News from anyone?

Barry Daytona Avant
    Last edited by Barry; June 15th, 2008 at 08:53. Reason: Add on

Well mine finally stopped after full replacement of the front suspension pieces...both sets of control arms, links, and stabilizer bar twice. My tech said it was still doing it a little bit and tightened everything down again which seemed to do the trick. My DRC was just replaced, but seems to have been more due to the rest of the components.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I still have the noise problem when driving very slow over a change in levels, and turning - I have stock and all new DSC - anyone solved it yet? - My Dealer now says may be Body Flex or noise from within the Dashboard??????

When turning right the noise seams to come from the front left wheel arch.

Any News from anyone?

Barry Daytona Avant
    How do people still get this wrong, its DRC not DSC. Dynamic Ride Control. Its been posted tons and tons of times in just this thread, let alone many others.

lol, I think barry meant DRC, he just mistyped it!

Quote Originally Posted by MrBucket View Post
    How do people still get this wrong, its DRC not DSC. Dynamic Ride Control. Its been posted tons and tons of times in just this thread, let alone many others.
    Yes I did get it wrong - have had several BMW's with DSC, so DSC just rolls off the tongue.

Anyway for the Audi, DSC describes it well: Dynamic SH-T Control.

Sorry to use such a word but it is true.

Barry - Daytona Avant