Thread: Flushing the ZF 5 Speed TipTronic - How is it done?

Flushing the ZF 5 Speed TipTronic - How is it done?

Just wondering if anyone know's or has flushed the transmission on our car's to ensure that all the old transfluid is removed.

I am aware that this wouldnt be much of an issue if replacing with OEM fluid but I am changing to redline fluid and would like all (as much as possible) of the oil fluid removed and replaced with the redline stuff.

Also does the engine cooler have a built in thermostat? reason I ask I will be replacing the engine/transmission cooler for larger aftermarket units and want to make sure I am not removing a thermostat that open's the oil cooler path only once a preset temperature is reached

Thanks
    42TT

I don't know for sure, but the thermostat for the transmission should be at the transmission. You should be ok.
    I was originally told that there was a special (translate expensive) piece of equipment for flushing the transmission that would get all of the fluid out. Never found a dealer that had it. Might have been urban legend. Try a search on Audi World.
    The dealer told me, when I had mine flushed with stock fluid, that they could not get all of the fluid out because the torque converter would not drain. The way to get the most fluid out was to remove the pan and replace the filter. I accepted this and replaced with stock fluid.
    I much prefer Redline fluids. In the interest of service department harmony, I just had them replace with stock.
    Jet Black/Imola Red, No Sunroof, Ground Control Everything, Magnesium BBS, a/d/s amp/speakers
    1993 Ford F250
    250k miles, 460ci, lots of scratches and dents, hauls anything and starts everytime

don't forget that you have a combined oil cooler, the same housing handles engine oil cooling (2/3) and transmission cooling (1/3) on separate circuits. there is no thermostat on the transmission circuit, but there is on the engine oil circuit.

also the transmission circuit first goes through the radiator to pre-heat the oil before being cooled in the air circuit. this is used to assist in rapid warmup and issues in cold climates.
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

Just had mine down at the dealer ( 40K miles) they drained it and refilled it twice with a 20 minute drive between the two to circulate the torque convertor oil - not perfect, I have seen a flush machine at oil change places like Jiffy lube, but they do not carry any oil that would be OK for the beast.

SKIWI - I assume the oil thermostat would be located in the oil filter mounting assembly and not in the oil cooler itself?

Also does anyone know if the method i posted above will be okay on the ZF transmission as I dont like the idea of running the car with half new and half old fluid as this will conly contaminate the new oil aswell as the new filter etc.

42TT

correct

your flushing method is fine, but you should really do it twice, for the reason you mentioned...

best to drop the pan and chnage the filter.
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

SKIWI - Good morning. What i plan on doing is dropping the pan and filter. Replacing the filter and cleaning the pan. Then fill the transmission up and run the transmission with the cooler return line disconnected draining into a bucket and while running the car pumping in new fluid while the old fluid is expelled out of the return line until the new fluid comes through. Then reconnect the line top up the transmission and make sure the level are correct.

Also i assume the engine oil thermostat isnt located in the engine/transmission cooler?

42tt

correct about the thermostat.

why don't you blow out the cooler lines using air? iirc there is a procedure to do this in elsa/bentley...
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

SKIWI - The purpose of disconnecting the line is so that the fluid in the valve body and torque convertor is expelled rather than pumped back into the oil pan.

I will be replacing the lines and cooler so no real need to blow them out just want to make sure that the convertor and valve body are flushed off the old fluid.

42tt

Is this Audi requierment to change the transmission fluid ? My dealer said, that fluid lasts lifetime of the car, no need to change.
    2004 RS6 Avant

Don't believe it

Quote Originally Posted by ott View Post
    Is this Audi requierment to change the transmission fluid ? My dealer said, that fluid lasts lifetime of the car, no need to change.
    The Dealer, any manufacturer, is interested in the equipment lasting for the likely life of the car with the First owner. First is to be sure it gets through warranty so it doesn't cost the manufacturer anything in warranty repairs. Then, to get through the first owner's time with the car, so they are enthusiastic to buy again from that dealer.

Fact is, nothing is good for the "life of the car" especially ATF fluid, or any other flluid, such as diff fluid, motor oil, or engine coolant. They make it a pain to change RS6 ATF for some reason; you still should get it changed commensurate with your use of the car. Hard use and high speed, change sooner. City use, high heat, change sooner. In any case, at least every 2 or 3 years just because. For reference, I had one of the old Audi V8 cars from the late 80's early 90's. The FUEL FILTER for that car was "good for the life of the car". Do you believe that? I have it changed every other year, and now that is 17 years! So the life of the car may depend on how often you ignore these sort of stupid "life of the car"pronouncements from the manufacturer and dealer.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

I understand that it's just oil which can't work "forever", its was what dealership said and sure it sounds stupid.

I bought the car when it was 1 years old and plan to keep it for 3 years. Total mileage will then be around 80 k. miles, now its 50 k. I like to use right pedal, but most of the time it's just cruising, because it's my daily driver and for fun I have other cars. So I have to decide, if I need to change the oil during this time ?
    2004 RS6 Avant

ott - I strongly recommend changing the ATF. I have opted to change to Redline D4 aswell as a larger transmission cooler but this is due to my hard driving and also chip/exhaust upgrades

42tt