Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: R8 Ring time achived by Sport auto is...

9 sec behind F430 with 490 hp ...quite expected with the same tires!

I think with the perfect temperature, tires, etc, the R8 can achieve a 7:55 time, which would be absolutely fantastic for the car. The time for the AMv8 must have been achieved with PERFECT conditions because I do not think the AM is more capable than the audi in respect to acceleration, handling, balance....

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    Leadie,
    R8 is according to Sport Auto(and not only Sport Auto but, all German mags) marginally faster in acceleration then RS4. Difference in 0-200km/h is just 0.4s and IMHO this is nothing. Same thing about in gear acceleration(say 80km/h till 180km/h), difference is below 0.5s...

So, only excellent suspension setup, better aerodynamics and little bit lowe weight is responsible for 5s better time on the Ring.

EVO will very soon publish road test between R8, 997 Turbo and some other sporscars... Just a hint-you definitely will not be pleased with the R8 results and their final conclusion...
    When I said cars posting similar times I meant the likes of the Vantage and the 997C4S, both cars which haven't as high a lateral cornering speed as the R8 and both are slightly slower in acceleration and braking. Basically the R8 should have posted a time closer to that of the 997tt instead of the standard Carrera 4S. To say it's only slightly quicker than a RS4 is plain silly, check the difference in cornering speeds and lateral Gs, the R8 is in a different league to the RS4.

I will wait for this test from EVO and will post my opinion after reading it.

As for the R8 only being slightly quicker than a RS4 in acceleration, what did you expect, it has the same engine and power output, it's slightly lighter but has a less efficient awd system. EVO got the R8 to lap the track 6 seconds faster than a RS4, now that sounds like the improvement was a lot more than just weight and aerodynamics don't you think.
    Search and you will find the truth.

September issue, not August one AFAIK...

And they still love R8 but, they start to love 997 Turbo as much...

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    When I said cars posting similar times I meant the likes of the Vantage and the 997C4S, both cars which haven't as high a lateral cornering speed as the R8 and both are slightly slower in acceleration and braking. Basically the R8 should have posted a time closer to that of the 997tt instead of the standard Carrera 4S. To say it's only slightly quicker than a RS4 is plain silly, check the difference in cornering speeds and lateral Gs, the R8 is in a different league to the RS4.

I will wait for this test from EVO and will post my opinion after reading it.

As for the R8 only being slightly quicker than a RS4 in acceleration, what did you expect, it has the same engine and power output, it's slightly lighter but has a less efficient awd system. EVO got the R8 to lap the track 6 seconds faster than a RS4, now that sounds like the improvement was a lot more than just weight and aerodynamics don't you think.
    Leadie,
    Since you are from UK you really need to read EVO more carefully...

RS4 tested by EVO(same car that is under long-term test) is with standard suspension, standard brakes and Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires...

On the other hand RS4 tested by Sport Auto in their Supertest features Sport Suspension Plus, Ceramic Brakes and Pirelli Corsa tires...

Do you see the difference? EVO tested normal(slowest) version and Sport Auto tested most sporty(fastest) version.
    BTW, Sport Auto alwasy request the fastest version form each car they test in their Supertest.

Regarding lateral Gs... In Sport Auto Supertest both RS4 and R8 achived same result 1.3g...

Just watch R8, 997TT and Z06 video from:
    http://www.sportauto-online.de/multimedia/videos/

You can clearly see that von Saurma is working much harder to be fast in 997TT then in R8. R8 is very, very driver friendly IMHO. And my conclusion is based on my R8 test drive.
    I still love R8 a lot and will keep it as I will my also forthcoming 997TT.

Leadie,
    Since you are from UK you really need to read EVO more carefully...

RS4 tested by EVO(same car that is under long-term test) is with standard suspension, standard brakes and Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires...

On the other hand RS4 tested by Sport Auto in their Supertest features Sport Suspension Plus, Ceramic Brakes and Pirelli Corsa tires...

Do you see the difference? EVO tested normal(slowest) version and Sport Auto tested most sporty(fastest) version.
    BTW, Sport Auto alwasy request the fastest version form each car they test in their Supertest.

Regarding lateral Gs... In Sport Auto Supertest both RS4 and R8 achived same result 1.3g...
    Fair point and this was something I was aware of that in the UK all RS4s come with standard tyres, but that doesn't explain why the R8 was quicker than the GT3RS, the F430 and the Gallardo which all had the same tyres and why in the US tests the same results were found.

How can you say every other tests is wrong and the only one that contradicts them is right, it doesn't make sense to me.

I am sorry that you are not fluent in German since there is a lot explanation in the Sport Auto Supertest why are the results the way they are!

For example von Saurma said that R8 has a very bad drag coefficient that makes it slower on the straights than its four-door counterpart, the RS4. What it gains in and at the exit of the corners it loses on the straights. Plain simple.

They measured R8 aerodynamics in Mercedes Benz wind tunnel(as they do with every other car!) and results were pretty bad for high speed acceleration...

Second, what other tests? C&D or Popular Mechanics? Sorry, but re-read them again-they are pure joke IMHO.

One Italian magazine measured R8 and its competiton in Monza track with similar results as their German counterparts...

So, you belive in EVO results and me not? True...
    I belive completely in Sport Auto results and you not? True...

Only this time EVO results are pretty much overoptimistic IMHO... On some German Car TV show someone asked Stephan Reil about this amazing Bedford R8 time... "Is it possible that R8 is faster then Gallardo(520hp version)?" S.Reil answer was:"Something was clearly wrong with that Gallardo!"

I think this says it all...

I am sorry that you are not fluent in German since there is a lot explanation in the Sport Auto Supertest why are the results the way they are!

For example von Saurma said that R8 has a very bad drag coefficient that makes it slower on the straights than its four-door counterpart, the RS4. What it gains in and at the exit of the corners it loses on the straights. Plain simple.

They measured R8 aerodynamics in Mercedes Benz wind tunnel(as they do with every other car!) and results were pretty bad for high speed acceleration...

Second, what other tests? C&D or Popular Mechanics? Sorry, but re-read them again-they are pure joke IMHO.

One Italian magazine measured R8 and its competiton in Monza track with similar results as their German counterparts...

Only this time EVO results are pretty much overoptimistic IMHO... On some German Car TV show someone asked Stephan Reil about this amazing Bedford R8 time... "Is it possible that R8 is faster then Gallardo(520hp version)?" S.Reil answer was:"Something was clearly wrong with that Gallardo!"

Good answer. Good read.

KresoF1 - agree with your post completely.

Gallardo is for sure faster than R8. 520 hp is more than 420 hp.
    R8 is slightly faster than RS4, because RS4 is a great car.

I expect that coming RS6 will be a hell of a car and it will "do" RS4 and R8 at the Ring. 580 hp is much more than 420 hp.

RS4 and R8 do 0-200 at 16-17 sec.
    RS6 will do 0-200 at 13 sec. It's a great difference and cornering speed will also be very high due to magnetic ride, ceramic brakes, torque distribution.

RS6 is as fast as M5 on the straights and as good as RS4 at the cornering.
    RS6 should break down 8 min barrier for sure.

I has seen different tests involving both the RS4 and the R8 and up to 150mph the R8 is always in front, so I am at a lose as to why the aerodynamic are a problem for high speed acceleration. But then what do I know, I only drive the bloody things.

If there was something wrong with the Gallardo then surely there had to be something wrong with the Ferrari F430, the Porsche 997Turbo, the Porsche GT3 and the Vette Z06. That is a heck of a lot of cars what seemed to have something wrong with them don't you think.

And before you think the R8 was something special, they posted acceleration times and they were roughly the same as every other magazine has posted, include Sport Auto. I was also at a lose as to why the R8 beat all of these other cars in such a convincing manner, because I would have thought all would have been slightly quicker but this was until I saw some of the other tests being posted which showed similar results.

With regards to Stephan Reil answer, well would you have expected him to say anything different, especially as they own Lamborghini and the Gallardo is the best part of £50K more expensive. Some people inside Quattro GmbH have said the R8 is a much better handling car than the Gallardo, now does this mean it's easier to control near the limit or does it mean it grips better I don't know. But there is some results out there (EVO etc.) that lead me to believe it's the latter.

But hey, there is no reason to fall out over results from differing magazines, as long as we both like the car is that not what is important.

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    KresoF1 - agree with your post completely.

Gallardo is for sure faster than R8. 520 hp is more than 420 hp.
    R8 is slightly faster than RS4, because RS4 is a great car.

I expect that coming RS6 will be a hell of a car and it will "do" RS4 and R8 at the Ring. 580 hp is much more than 420 hp.

RS4 and R8 do 0-200 at 16-17 sec.
    RS6 will do 0-200 at 13 sec. It's a great difference and cornering speed will also be very high due to magnetic ride, ceramic brakes, torque distribution.

RS6 is as fast as M5 on the straights and as good as RS4 at the cornering.
    RS6 should break down 8 min barrier for sure.
    Well I know what I have been told about the time the RS6 has achieved on the ring during testing and I would expect a time of round 8 minutes dead, but the same was true of the R8, great thing were expected of it's time and clearly this has not been the case for one reason or another.

One thing is for sure, high speed acceleration won't be one of it's problems.

Leadie,
    I agree with you on this-R8 is a great car!

BTW, let me give you some hint about forthcoming Gallardo Superleggera Supertest in German Sport Auto(September issue):

7.46min Ring time!

Leadie,
    I agree with you on this-R8 is a great car!

BTW, let me give you some hint about forthcoming Gallardo Superleggera Supertest in German Sport Auto(September issue):

7.46min Ring time!
    Now that's a time for the R8v10 to aim at.

Well, the R8 delivers on more complex tracks like HH and is more fun to drive, but in more road-like conditions like NBR the gain over RS4 is really minimal (5s in nearly 21km is nothing) - as was to be be expected all along. Where is the surprise?

Hyping the RS6 in the wrong places does it no favours - it will surely deliver as an all-round road going package like the RS4 and I will get one if and when it does. However, ceramic brakes will not be standard and they will not save a 2 tonne monster with 60% upfront on the track anyway and you can forget 0-200 km/h in 13s when you do the power-to-weight math and account for the likely 20% transmission loss...

With "Magnetic Ride" the R8 would be 10-15 sec faster.

Hans.

Quote Originally Posted by QuattroFun View Post
    Well, the R8 delivers on more complex tracks like HH and is more fun to drive, but in more road-like conditions like NBR the gain over RS4 is really minimal (5s in nearly 21km is nothing) - as was to be be expected all along. Where is the surprise?

Hyping the RS6 in the wrong places does it no favours - it will surely deliver as an all-round road going package like the RS4 and I will get one if and when it does. However, ceramic brakes will not be standard and they will not save a 2 tonne monster with 60% upfront on the track anyway and you can forget 0-200 km/h in 13s when you do the power-to-weight math and account for the likely 20% transmission loss...
    Power to weight matters in acceleration when you are talking about torque and not horsepower. If an M6 can do 0~200km/h in 13.4s with only 383ft/lbs of torque, I reckon the RS6 will be able to match of possibly better this with an estimated 550ft/lbs of torque.

I am not hyping to RS6, I am only relaying what I have been told about the car. It is meant to be an animal and it's handling is like-wise meant to be very impressive for such a large car.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    With "Magnetic Ride" the R8 would be 10-15 sec faster.

Hans.
    According to Stephan Reil you are WRONG.

According to Stephan Reil you are WRONG.
    Stephan Reil. ???

Hans.