Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A glut of RS6's for sale

A glut of RS6's for sale

I approximate that about 9%-10% of all the U.S. imported RS6's are currently for sale. There are 68 on Autotrader.com, and 66 on cars.com (with some duplication). That's a lot of RS6's considering less than 900 were imported. >>
    > >
    On the other hand, how many people would you guess (other than collectors) have ~$50,000+ to spend on a used vehicle, that's particularly costly to use and maintain, with a warranty soon to expire or none? Certified, extended or aftermarket warranties only add about $3500 to the purchase price.>>
    > >
    I've also been watching RS6's on eBay for the past month and have only seen 1 actually sell. Most go unsold with bids lower than Reserve amounts, and then are re-listed for lower Buy It Now prices.>>
    > >
    My guess is that a lot of RS6's are being presented to the market right now as original warranties expire, RS4's attract, and talk about the new RS6 and R8 models gets hotter. I don't believe that demand could be even close to the current supply, and prices are sure to drop as sellers become more desperate. >>
    > >
    So if any new owners out there don't mind sharing, what did you pay? For what mileage? And what options? When did you buy?>>
    > >
    As the largest owner’s group, what's your opinion? Where do you think the market’s going?

>>

First, I think the number that were imported were more along 1200. A search in the RS6/S6/S8 should find a pretty accurate assessment of the actual numbers. The "less than 900" comes from a dealer or seller trying to impress with the "rarity" of the car. They are uncommon, but not rare.

Lots of people can afford the RS6 used; every one of them was over $83,000 new. The same demographic can afford them now. Some savvy buyers might even have counted on finding a pristine 3 year old RS6 "on sale" for $30k less than sticker. If you bought at a 30k discount, then a 3500 dollar warranty seems like a great investment.

A bigger factor than warranty expiration could be end of a lease. Maybe the person who can afford the lease or has it via the business wants a new thrill now, so the buyout doesn't get exercised. Leased cars rarely go in a sale to the original lessee, I believe, because residuals are set high.

RS6's aren't trouble free; if you follow this, you know about the DRC failures that have been mentionedl.

Your next to last statement is certainly true; RS6 is "just a used car", so of course prices will drop. Nobody I know of bought the car hoping to flip it 3 yrs later for a profit. How desperate are the sellers? Who knows? What are the buyers other choices? Plenty at the prices being either asked or transacted.

Some could be selling now so they are financially or garage space wise, ready for the new RS6, an R8, or who knows??

It is still good bang for the buck. With the dollar going south against the Euro, it is onlly a matter of time before reality hits the Euro manufacturers and they have to raise the price to US customers of the new cars to reflect their exchange rate. For years, a US car has been thousands cheaper than the virtually identical car sold in the UK or on the continent.

There is only so much decontenting (ie, cheaper seats, etc) that you can do to save money on the US car if you are Audi or whoever. Eventually the base price has to go up. Or more production goes to lower cost Eastern Europe. Even so, the price disparity of US vs. UK and others can't be justified. I am happy that Audi was willing to give me the car on sale. Even though I bought it new. Anyone who gets a good one used does me even better. There are fixes for the DRC, including completely replacing it with a proven aftermarket suspension. Once that is done, the biggest negative for this car is behind you.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryindiana View Post
    First, I think the number that were imported were more along 1200.
    I'm glad to hear that. It only means there will be more parts available 10 years from now.

Lots of people can afford the RS6 used; every one of them was over $83,000 new. The same demographic can afford them now.
    If that demographic was a large as you believe Audi would have produced more than 1200 for this huge American market. Realistically, someone should have a 6-figure income, equity in their retirement, equity in their home and a good college fund for their kids before considering such an extravagance. That's probably 1% of 1% of the population. Now split those people amongst all luxury manufacturers.

Some savvy buyers might even have counted on finding a pristine 3 year old RS6 "on sale" for $30k less than sticker.
    Respectfully, what's so saavy about that?! By that reasoning, you might as well keep on waiting.

If you bought at a 30k discount, then a 3500 dollar warranty seems like a great investment.
    Since they are so expensive to repair, $3500 for a warranty is a good investment on these cars no matter what you've spent aquiring one.

A bigger factor than warranty expiration could be end of a lease.
    Nearly all 3-yr leases would be done by now.

Your next to last statement is certainly true; of course prices will drop. How desperate are the sellers? Who knows? What are the buyers other choices? Plenty at the prices being either asked or transacted.
    That was my point. I'm guessing current prices are inflated and will drop soon. Not just because used cars depreciate, but because there are lots of RS6's for sale, seemingly few buyers, and lots of alternatives.

Thanks for your insights Greg.
    Last edited by EATRICE; May 29th, 2007 at 05:31.

Quote Originally Posted by EATRICE View Post
    I approximate that about 9%-10% of all the U.S. imported RS6's are currently for sale. There are 68 on Autotrader.com, and 66 on cars.com (with some duplication). That's a lot of RS6's considering less than 900 were imported. >>
    > >
    On the other hand, how many people would you guess (other than collectors) have ~$50,000+ to spend on a used vehicle, that's particularly costly to use and maintain, with a warranty soon to expire or none? Certified, extended or aftermarket warranties only add about $3500 to the purchase price.>>
    > >
    I've also been watching RS6's on eBay for the past month and have only seen 1 actually sell. Most go unsold with bids lower than Reserve amounts, and then are re-listed for lower Buy It Now prices.>>
    > >
    My guess is that a lot of RS6's are being presented to the market right now as original warranties expire, RS4's attract, and talk about the new RS6 and R8 models gets hotter. I don't believe that demand could be even close to the current supply, and prices are sure to drop as sellers become more desperate. >>
    > >
    So if any new owners out there don't mind sharing, what did you pay? For what mileage? And what options? When did you buy?>>
    > >
    As the largest owner’s group, what's your opinion? Where do you think the market’s going?

>>

Sound like an RS6 might not be the best choice for you right now.

There's only one sure fire way that your car wont depreciate.........don't buy it.

Now if you want minimal depreciation then you should wait another couple of years when they flatten out.

Around 1200 cars were imported and my guess is that most owners are moving on or upgrading. The original RS6 owners are players. These same players are now 3 years removed from that experience and are looking into other cars.

Some people keep their cars other sell them, so others, can have the privelage of owning them. And until you own one you don't what a real privelage it is to own. Also, most of these original owners can easily afford cars that are 100K or higher now. So one reason (other than the leases, or warranty) may be the girlfriend factor.

You know how you date a girl for 3 months and then you're tired of her. And then you find a really nice girl that become a serious girlfriend and you date her.....for about 3 years.....and then you want something new. Well yeah, I think whether these owners had RS6's, Turbos, or 360's they would be ready to try that new girl on for size

Oh and add 1 more car to that autotrader list.....cause I've been dragging my feet to add mine.

Another perspective

The sites you mention are notoriously outdated ones. I found eBay to be a better indicator of cars actively on the market since they delist when the auction ends/expires. When I was looking for mine 2 months ago I felt there were more on the market than in the previous 6 months, as leases began to expire. I bought because I sensed they were slowly being absorbed and would become scarce again and also because I tracked CPO's at dealers and they had higher asking prices but disappeared nonetheless. I saw this same thing with my '91 M5 in '95 as 4yr leases and warranties expired. Since then, there are fewer RS6's on eBay and asking prices seem to have firmed and low mileage ones (<30k) are very hard to find.
    There may be a smaller % of available ones actually selling with the higher asking prices but that is little consolation if you want one.

Just MHO.

Quote Originally Posted by gmbh6 View Post

Sound like an RS6 might not be the best choice for you right now.
    There's only one sure fire way that your car wont depreciate.........don't buy it.
    Now if you want minimal depreciation then you should wait another couple of years when they flatten out.
    I never said I was looking for a car that won't depreciate. To the contrary, I think this is a great car for me and am happy there are so many to choose from!

Around 1200 cars were imported and my guess is that most owners are moving on or upgrading. The original RS6 owners are players. These same players are now 3 years removed from that experience and are looking into other cars....
    Also, most of these original owners can easily afford cars that are 100K or higher now. So one reason (other than the leases, or warranty) may be the girlfriend factor.

You know how you date a girl for 3 months and then you're tired of her. And then you find a really nice girl that become a serious girlfriend and you date her.....for about 3 years.....and then you want something new. Well yeah, I think whether these owners had RS6's, Turbos, or 360's they would be ready to try that new girl on for size
    An astute observation contrary to what Gregory thought above. You're right the original owners of these cars are BIG money, probably .001% of the population. The used buyers like me who are looking now are well off but not quite the same elite demographic.

Oh and add 1 more car to that autotrader list.....cause I've been dragging my feet to add mine.
    I'll watch for it as you know I'm particularly interested in your car! There's 11 blue RS6's on Trader currently, priced from $45,600 to $65,555, all being sold by dealers.
    Last edited by EATRICE; May 30th, 2007 at 17:29.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6-4dr911 View Post
    The sites you mention are notoriously outdated ones.
    Good point. Some of these cars may be sold and still listed.

I found eBay to be a better indicator of cars actively on the market since they delist when the auction ends/expires. There are fewer RS6's on eBay and asking prices seem to have firmed and low mileage ones (<30k) are very hard to find.
    I like eBay to show what people are really paying since you can see the sold prices. However, eBay has only sold 1 RS6 that I've seen in the last month despite over a dozen listings. Currently there are 5 there. (4) have been previously auctioned and are re-listed and (3) have <30k miles. But, I'm excited to see what one car without a reserve fetches. It is yellow with 50k miles and warm weather package.

MHO is that eBay is not particularly good at selling these cars if you have a firm price and patience. A nicely equipped black/black one in Houston was relisted 4 or 5 times and still hasn't sold despite having a Buy It Now price of $47,000., 33k miles and options like warm weather package. The highest bid I saw it get was $41,140.

[... An astute observation contrary to what Gregory thought above. You're right the original owners of these cars are BIG money, probably .001% of the population. The used buyers like me who are looking now are well off but not quite the same elite demographic...
    Now that's being far too generous. I said players.....not straight up pimps

The .oo1% of the population is driving GT's and Enzo's

We're all little guppies in their big pond.

Just purchased....

I just got my hands on a used RS6, 15,000 miles on it. Daytona Grey and in excellent condition. Flew out to Colorado from CA to pick it up and drive home. (just had the 35,000 service(based on time not miles) and my dealer says the car is in mint shape. It was actually first sold in Feb of 2004 so i have some warranty left before i chip it out MTM.
    Price paid $55K US. and brought an extensive aftermarket warrenty to get me through till 2012. very happy.

One complaint - i work 3 minutes from my house and find i will drive 30+ miles to get there some mornings... i just can't stop myself. The Beast rocks.

quality doesn't come in a twist off.

Congrats headshot. Be sure to post some pics in the RS6 Gallery
    Get out and drive

WTB: Canadian RS6

Anyone with a lease about the expire in the next 4 to 6 months?

The RS6/S6 US cars cannot be imported to Canada, so I am left to a very limited selection of cars, although I read somehwhere that there may be mods that could get a US car into Canada. Anybody know the details?

tia,
    Marc.

> >

>>

Here's what seems like a legit EBay sale from yesterday, 5/31. Seems like a fair price for the car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140120860248
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryindiana View Post
    Here's what seems like a legit EBay sale from yesterday, 5/31. Seems like a fair price for the car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140120860248
    Yes, I agree this is a good price for this car to fetch. This car was the second I've seen sell on eBay. The first was interestingly also in Chicago. It sold on May 19th for $48,900 with 21,000 miles. The third one I excpect to see sell on eBay has a no reserve auction ending this Sunday morning. We'll see how high it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by HeadShot View Post
    I just got my hands on a used RS6, 15,000 miles on it. Daytona Grey and in excellent condition. Flew out to Colorado from CA to pick it up and drive home. (just had the 35,000 service(based on time not miles) and my dealer says the car is in mint shape. It was actually first sold in Feb of 2004 so i have some warranty left before i chip it out MTM.
    Price paid $55K US. and brought an extensive aftermarket warrenty to get me through till 2012. very happy.

One complaint - i work 3 minutes from my house and find i will drive 30+ miles to get there some mornings... i just can't stop myself. The Beast rocks.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to add it to my personal database of recently sold RS6's. Sounds like you got a great car and are already on the road to taking care of it! Congratulations. Do you mind me asking, where did you find it advertised? And were there any particular options that made youo select this specific car in particular?

Why buy///

I found it on AutoTrader.com. I had been looking about 2 months and was going to buy one in Vegas. I test drove one in LA just to be sure i liked the feel (had an S4) - their's had 40KMiles on it and they had 65k$ on the window, 55$ on line!! Anyway i told the guy i was looking at one with 15K on it but he wouldn't come down. The car was black, so it showed all the wear and tear. And the bad wax job.
    The Vegas car had the interior i wanted but had 30K on it and they wanted almost 60$ for it. Still i almost brought it - their carfax said the vechicle was clean but i was using autocheck and rechecked it. Said it was in an accident in Nervada and there was a police report filed. The dealer "Fletcher Jones" - says that they were unaware of this so it was my problem to get the info on the accident!!!
    So i went for the car in Boulder Colarodo, 15k on it... clean. Verry happy. I think if nothing else the lower the miles the less it has been screwed, scraped and negelected. Hope that rant was helpful. Lol
    It is standard - no summer package but it moves like lighting - was that an option?? Kick ass, if so it has it in spades.. hee hee!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	model close.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	5132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the valley.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	5133  
    Last edited by HeadShot; June 3rd, 2007 at 00:52.
    quality doesn't come in a twist off.

I bought the one on ebay!

I just traded in my 2000 911 Millenium Edition C4 for the RS6 on ebay (22k miles). It ended up being $51k plus $2,800 for a 3 year warranty from the dealer (got a reasonable number on the trade). It is just an unbelievable car. My friend has a similar RS6 and this one has a bluetooth phone module, aftermarket nav system, sirius radio, etc. This is by far the best all around car I have ever owned.

One issue - the check engine light is on, I didn't tighten the gas cap properly the first time I filled it up. Does anyone have advice as to how this gets fixed?

LOVING MY NEW (USED) CAR!

Check Engine Light

Your friendly dealer will be happy to have the RS6 Technician check the codes and reset the light!

Congratulations!

Regards, Jimmy S.

Yes, I agree this is a good price for this car to fetch. This car was the second I've seen sell on eBay. The first was interestingly also in Chicago. It sold on May 19th for $48,900 with 21,000 miles. The third one I excpect to see sell on eBay has a no reserve auction ending this Sunday morning. We'll see how high it goes!
    This Imola Yellow ... the final price is $50099.00
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190116335940

I was bidding on because of its rare color but it quickly out of my budget

I really like this unique RS6 plus it has all options I want....
    CARFAX said this is a fleet car and being bought from auction.

Actually this was relist becuz not sold on $54,990.

except I didn't win this car, what do you guys think about this yellow RS6?