Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: A glut of RS6's for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Given what they've advertised as service and the like I wouldn't even bat an eye. My Buick GNX has had less than 50 miles put on it in the past 10 years! It's been started and run a few times a year, driven around the block, and then back up on the lift. Every now and then I tow it to the track and put down a few passes to keep me feeling young again.
    850hp...wow. My brother had one but was all stock. That was the first really fast car I remember riding in 0-60 and feeling that feeling of the power of the car catching and slapping you in the back with the seat and off you go. He let me drive it right before he sold it and it was fun just destroying the Z28s and Trans Ams that tried. Thinking back on that I am still amazed at how smooth the RS6 does the same feat. The first day I had my RS6 a big ol Firebird/trans am of the last year they made them with a huge hood bulge came roaring up off an on ramp next to me and tried to run. In the next few seconds I blew past him on up to 140 and a 10th of a mile lead. The kid had no idea what hit him and followed me off the exit I took and asked me about it. Fun.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by jbtexas View Post
    Flying to Portland to see this car... pretty concerned about what happens to a car when it sits for 5 years though. 85 miles. Frankly, except for the wood trim, definitely what I am looking for (had hoped for less than 20k miles, not 85!) Will let you know what happens. Opinions on concerns about 85 miles on a 5 yr car are welcomed. I know what this phenomena does to an older Porsche for instance, and it is death. What about the RS6?
    SOMEONE please correct me if I am wrong, but I remember something on a thread about the flawed part(s) of the DRC was an aluminum piece inside each of the liquid filled shocks/struts/whatever and that the oil and aluminum piece eventually corroded(my wonderful spelling) no matter what a driver did do or didn't do. Would this also effect this 85 mile RS6? Since you are there, rent a car and drive the 3 hours to Bellevue WA to Park Place LTD and drive the 6K miles one... Might save you $10k or more...

I would be highly irritated paying $65k and then driving it south on I5 to Yreka, then hang a left on Highway 89 to Highway 44 and then Highway 395 via 800 miles of twisty bits and the DRC craps out in Redding....
    Then pack it up in a trailer to drive it the rest of the way to TX.... GRRRR!!!!

Lucky Mother Farmer!!!

thanks, all good feedback... by the way, I do not intend to buy the car at the 65 asking price... that is a non starter for me

The cars price is reasonable considering it's mileage for a 'collector' car. As mentioned as soon as you decide to start driving it as a daily driver (or even part time for that matter) and begin putting miles on it, the vehicle will quickly depreciate to the value all the other well kept low mileage vehicles would expect to sell for. Personally I have no problem with a higher mileage vehicle. Aside from a design flaw on the DRC, the RS6 is the cream of the crop. There is no reason to expect failures on top quality built stuff.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

After talking with the seller, he is absolutely FIRM on $65k... too much for a 5-yr old car in my mind, regardless of miles or condition. I had hoped to be in the mid $50s on the car. I realize that many on this board might disagree, and I understand/appreciate why. It's a special car and I want one....but at the right price for a pristine model. thanks

Its way too much. He will not get it. Good decision.
    Last edited by mmaturo; August 28th, 2008 at 00:13. Reason: spelling
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by mmaturo View Post
    Its way to much. He will not get it. Good decision.
    I agree, he/she/it will not get it....

They will get it guys. This is not a low mileage pristine opportunity. This is a collectors opportunity and any collector would expect to pay premium for a vehicle that hasn't been driven in it's lifetime. I posted the link more for interest than for action as Joe Public would not spend 10-15K more for the next best pristine model no matter what the mileage is. Joe Collector would though. Expect to see this particular car hit the high $$ auction blocks if it doesn't sell on ePay. It's new - regardless of the year manufactured.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    They will get it guys. This is not a low mileage pristine opportunity. This is a collectors opportunity and any collector would expect to pay premium for a vehicle that hasn't been driven in it's lifetime. I posted the link more for interest than for action as Joe Public would not spend 10-15K more for the next best pristine model no matter what the mileage is. Joe Collector would though. Expect to see this particular car hit the high $$ auction blocks if it doesn't sell on ePay. It's new - regardless of the year manufactured.
    Hopefully a collector will find it or i should say it find the collector, I think my first comment on Audiworld was that Audi themselves should buy it back for their own collection...sounds like he needs to be talking to barrett jackson with the whole corral. Or call up Leno...he has an R8 but does he have an RS6?

After talking with the seller, he is absolutely FIRM on $65k...
    Good luck with that...

Hopefully a collector will find it or i should say it find the collector, I think my first comment on Audiworld was that Audi themselves should buy it back for their own collection...sounds like he needs to be talking to barrett jackson with the whole corral. Or call up Leno...he has an R8 but does he have an RS6?

Sorry, but I am just not sure that a 2003 4-door car sold in the thousands is something that will be sought out at this price to put in a bubble. Hope that I am wrong, I wish him the best with the sale. But this isnt a Porsche 73RS...its a modern Audi.

(Dont get me wrong, I am in love with the RS6 and hope to be an owner soon)

But this isnt a Porsche 73RS...its a modern Audi.
    Was a 73 2.7L 911RS Porsche with 100 miles worth 75% the value of it's MSRP 5 years after release? It too was a manufacturers limited release specialty car with a nominal 1500 made available to the public. Add 30 years to that equation and the price skyrockets. German made estate car or sport coupe, they both have high appeal to a number of people and someone will indeed be willing to pay the asking price without doubt. It's only been advertised for a week. Finding the right buyer could take a few weeks/months. I'd personally like to see someone keep it in new condition and watch for it to appreciate sometime in the far away future.

My GNX is a pristine example of the ride - but it's not new. A pristine example sells for 75K. A new example (yes there are a few) sells for more than 100K.

Tim

we'll see I guess...

lets agree to disagree about comparing a 73 RS to a 4-door sedan in terms of worldwide production volumes, collectibility, etc... cant think of a single 4-door sedan example from the 70s that would follow the logic of your argument...

lol, i think the bottom line is, the car's true value is the price that it sells at. Our thoughts/opinion/KBB are just guidelines. I'm with bigglesworth, I think that there is probably a collector out there who will love this essentially new car and pay top dollar for it. JBTEXAS isn't looking for a car to add to his collection, he's looking for a car that he'll be driving around, if not daily at least some of the time and so, for him, this car simply isn't worth it. And I have to echo MMATURO's thoughts here, I don't think buying a "low mileage" model is really going to make that much of a difference, I think it's more important to come up with a dollar amount that you're willing to spend and find a car that fits that amount... But, just my two cents.

Problem with this is that we in the states all have the sedan only...aren't the rear sets completely different from the Avant?

Didn't think of that to be honest
    Get out and drive

we'll see I guess...

lets agree to disagree about comparing a 73 RS to a 4-door sedan in terms of worldwide production volumes, collectibility, etc... cant think of a single 4-door sedan example from the 70s that would follow the logic of your argument...
    You missed the point entirely. It has nothing to do with 2 doors or 4. It has to do with limited availabity from an auto manufacturer at a specific point in time. Take qty of doors and the year out of the matter and you simply have a substantially limited production model of a publicly availble performance car. Nothing more - nothing less.