Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS4 Brake conversion to Ceramic - Help Needed

RS4 Brake conversion to Ceramic - Help Needed

Hi,
    On the Nordschleife this past week end I manage to finish off the brakes of my RS4. The pads did last 30k km and so did the disks... THe vibrations under braking (hard and soft) are unbarable... the whole car starts to shake sooo much that it feels like it's falling apart.

I have 2 options new normal disks or Ceramic.

Will it be hard to retro fit the Ceramics? What are the key points in doing so? what parts needs to be replaces and where are the difficult parts of such job?

As this forum holds the highest experts I guess I will find all the answer here!

Soon to posts low quality video on how to Fkup the brakes on the Green hell!!!
    This way you will have a live example on what not to do when you go there!!!!

I'm guessing the only hard part in the retrofit will be parting with the money.
    2007 RS4 Avant | Misano | Black Optics | SS+
    2001 S3 | Ebony

Hello MR USER,

if you consider to go for the Ceramic Version you will need for each side:

Brake Disc Ceramic 380x38mm, 5,5kg MSRP= 3.799,00 Euro / piece
    Brake Pad Set MSRP= 557,00 Euro / piece
    Caliper 6 Piston MSRP= 1.297,00 Euro /piece

Complete set price= MSRP 11.305,00 Euro

No Ceramic option for the back, just regular.

You are in need to use 19" Wheels. No other modifications needed.

Qisha

Why is it that the standard brakes have eight calipers and the ceramics have six?

Ciao Mr. what's up

Nice to hear form your Nordschleife experience... knowing you I am not surprised you destroyed the brakes :king:

You can consider an in-between solution such as 380mm 6 calipers Brembo discs which will be better than stock (even if stock are great...) and not so expensive than ceramics. Should cost approx. EUR 6000.-- if I remeber well. Check on Sportec, MTM, Etc.. all these tuners offer them.

Ciao and hope to see you soon for another trip around Gva

Quote Originally Posted by firewired View Post
    Why is it that the standard brakes have eight calipers and the ceramics have six?
    I believe for two reasons. The first being the rotors for the ceramics are larger and the 8-Pots won't fit. The second being that with the ceramics your stopping power doesn't require anything over 6-Pots.
    [IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/bushido01s4/mcaskyline.jpg[/IMG]

Dear firewired,

Ceramic brake components work on a much higher temperature level than standard brakes do. The 8 piston brake pads are splitted in 4 smaller pads on each piston while the 6 piston version consists of 2 larger brake pads. Due to this first of all the heat will be distributed a whole lot better not talking about the larger pad surface of 105 cm². Larger pad surface means better braking performance. The smaller 8 piston pads wont "survive" the heat caused by the ceramic discs. Another reason, as you might already know, ceramic components do need a higher working temperature, with a larger pad surface the temperature simply rises quicker due to the greater overall contact between pads and discs.

Qisha

Qisha,

How long will the pads for ceramic discs last? Especially as they are 557euros.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Dear Leadfoot,

the wear of the brake assemblies - components - in particular pads and brake discs - is strongly dependent on the individual driving manner as well as the application terms. Therefore, it cannot be expressed general- or valid in a guaranteed kilometer run. Nevertheless, especially with the use of the vehicle on race track over long distances or according to forced driving manner the wear of brake clearly increases. After Intensely track use a professional examination and if necessary an exchange of components becomes necessary analogous to the regular steel brake. Under "normal" daily driving the wear of the pads is almost similar. There is a large spread from customer to customer, anything between 10.000- and 30.000km has been seen, talking about pads. The ceramic discs last up to ~300.000km, same here, depending on how "hard" they are being used.

If the car is often used at the racetrack- and or strong forced driving, the Ceramic brakes will pay you back. For daily use i would stay with the steel version and safe the money.

Qisha

My dealer called me for a first draft of the quote

20k CHF for the parts... fitting excluded in other words 12k euros without installation....

I have a feeling that I might be better off going to a tuner as some of you suggested....

On the other hand I really would like the Ceramics... where could I get a better price? Would contacting Quattro directly be of any help?

If you want ceramics no miracle you must pay for it. As I suggested go for Brembo 380mm via Sportec, Movit, etc.. and you will have super brake set up for half the money.

Finally I had a last quote for retrofitting the Ceramics on my RS4 for 16k CHF wich is more or less 9500 Euro...

I looked for other opportunities and I decided not to do the conversion as Audi kindly agreed on replacing the whole front braking system (Rotors and pads) for free under warranty!

Thanka AUDI you just confirmed my satisfaction for the aftersale service! As i'm a very happy customer I will make sure that my next car will be an Audi once more... RS5? RS6? R10? or a Q7 v12? mmm tough choice! Till then I will keep enjoying my RS4 with new brakes and 35k km on the clock!

Lucky man! You must have a good relationship with your techs/service advisors!

And for your information, dealerships don't make money on parts, only on labour, could be a tactic to keep your loyalty when it comes to routine servicing and the likes.

Quote Originally Posted by MR USER View Post
    Finally I had a last quote for retrofitting the Ceramics on my RS4 for 16k CHF wich is more or less 9500 Euro...

I looked for other opportunities and I decided not to do the conversion as Audi kindly agreed on replacing the whole front braking system (Rotors and pads) for free under warranty!

Thanka AUDI you just confirmed my satisfaction for the aftersale service! As i'm a very happy customer I will make sure that my next car will be an Audi once more... RS5? RS6? R10? or a Q7 v12? mmm tough choice! Till then I will keep enjoying my RS4 with new brakes and 35k km on the clock!
    Congratulations!I want the same thing!!My brake pads need replacing immediately.How did you manage it?

MOV'IT RS4 Brakes.

Hans.

Question for everyone - do you still get black brake dust all over your wheels with Ceramics?

Just cleaned my wheels the other day, and think it would be worth the cost for that alone if they didn't leave black gunk all over your wheels.

:-)
    --------------------------
    RS4 Sedan - Daytona Grey
    --------------------------
    Previous drives:
    Porsche Cayman S
    Audi TT
    BMW 328Ci
    BMW 318i
    Mazda 323 (ok, ok, but it was my first car!)

Damn!! Those brakes look awesome

I don't get brake dust (on the front wheels). The back ones look much like the fronts on my S3 though.
    2007 RS4 Avant | Misano | Black Optics | SS+
    2001 S3 | Ebony