Thread: Do you think the E92 M3 will match the R8 in performance?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    sticky,

My opinion about is based not only from EVO magazines' roadtest partner which supplies the figures use in their papers and someone know has little to gain by saying something like this and AMD another tuner specializing in tuning Audi, VW, Porsche and others including BMW. They all say the baseline figures for AWD cars are very inaccurate but do provide a start for modifying as any improvement is going the right direction.

When based with such evidence I reckon that what Dyno reading is at the very least objective and should be taken as such, I don't have a problem with anyone believing in that they said and quoting figures I just reckon the measurements for AWD cars will be out some what.

As for the GT3 being the right comparison to a R8, unless the ride quality of the GT3 has improved hugely over the last model there is no way anyone would even consider it over a 997 4S if in their choice of cars were a R8. I know the Porsche range quite well and have spent time in most of them, though the 997GT3 has not been one of them so I will base my opinion on the previous model if that OK.
    Basing a comment on a pervious model is not the way to go. Don't you think you should know for sure before making a comment like that the GT3 can not be a daily driver? Check out a 997 GT3, read about it, see if they will let you drive one (most likely not, as they are all spoken for the next 2 years). Your beloved EVO magazine loves the damn thing, didn't you read their car of the year issue? It lost out by half a point I think to the 599 which makes sense considering porsche won the 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, and 2005 car of the year competitions.

Your thinking on dyno's is very wrong. They are an integral tool in the automotive community. A dyno reading is not set in stone but gives perspective. If they were innacurate why would they use them? Why would they make different dyno's for AWD cars? I think you will find regardless of dyno a GT3 will put down more hp than an R8, period. There must be something to it if the GT3 with less hp and less displacement is able to out muscle an R8 (in reality more hp, ratings can be deceiving as in this case). The motor is highly underrated, 385 wheel hp is over 100 wheel horsepower per liter, simply amazing, no production motor does this, not even the f430 or carrera GT. Perhaps it is even a bargain having a cheaper base than the r8.

The AWD version of the 911 is not the only competitor to the R8. There is no RWD version of the R8, so the only one we can choose is AWD by default. I don't think that only C4S buyers are going to look at the R8, carrera S buyers would as well. The nice thing about porsche is they have every base covered, RWD, AWD, lightweight, turbo, naturally aspirated, etc. I don't think the GT3 is really the main competitor but it clearly can be compared due to the pricing. The GT3 is clearly a more visceral experience.

What is w/ this M3 OBSESSION ?
    Audi can't release a car without some 1 here wondering if it's faster then an M3.
    If u r so obsessed w/ an M3 why don't u just buy 1 instead of an Audi ?

Quote Originally Posted by M3 owner View Post
    What is w/ this M3 OBSESSION ?
    Audi can't release a car without some 1 here wondering if it's faster then an M3.
    If u r so obsessed w/ an M3 why don't u just buy 1 instead of an Audi ?
    I think you need to read the start of this thread and you will see that it was discussed on an M3 forum. Maybe it's M3 owners obsession with beating Audis to is the problem.
    Search and you will find the truth.