Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think the E92 M3 will match the R8 in performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    sticky,

My opinion about is based not only from EVO magazines' roadtest partner which supplies the figures use in their papers and someone know has little to gain by saying something like this and AMD another tuner specializing in tuning Audi, VW, Porsche and others including BMW. They all say the baseline figures for AWD cars are very inaccurate but do provide a start for modifying as any improvement is going the right direction.

When based with such evidence I reckon that what Dyno reading is at the very least objective and should be taken as such, I don't have a problem with anyone believing in that they said and quoting figures I just reckon the measurements for AWD cars will be out some what.

As for the GT3 being the right comparison to a R8, unless the ride quality of the GT3 has improved hugely over the last model there is no way anyone would even consider it over a 997 4S if in their choice of cars were a R8. I know the Porsche range quite well and have spent time in most of them, though the 997GT3 has not been one of them so I will base my opinion on the previous model if that OK.
    Basing a comment on a pervious model is not the way to go. Don't you think you should know for sure before making a comment like that the GT3 can not be a daily driver? Check out a 997 GT3, read about it, see if they will let you drive one (most likely not, as they are all spoken for the next 2 years). Your beloved EVO magazine loves the damn thing, didn't you read their car of the year issue? It lost out by half a point I think to the 599 which makes sense considering porsche won the 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, and 2005 car of the year competitions.

Your thinking on dyno's is very wrong. They are an integral tool in the automotive community. A dyno reading is not set in stone but gives perspective. If they were innacurate why would they use them? Why would they make different dyno's for AWD cars? I think you will find regardless of dyno a GT3 will put down more hp than an R8, period. There must be something to it if the GT3 with less hp and less displacement is able to out muscle an R8 (in reality more hp, ratings can be deceiving as in this case). The motor is highly underrated, 385 wheel hp is over 100 wheel horsepower per liter, simply amazing, no production motor does this, not even the f430 or carrera GT. Perhaps it is even a bargain having a cheaper base than the r8.

The AWD version of the 911 is not the only competitor to the R8. There is no RWD version of the R8, so the only one we can choose is AWD by default. I don't think that only C4S buyers are going to look at the R8, carrera S buyers would as well. The nice thing about porsche is they have every base covered, RWD, AWD, lightweight, turbo, naturally aspirated, etc. I don't think the GT3 is really the main competitor but it clearly can be compared due to the pricing. The GT3 is clearly a more visceral experience.

What is w/ this M3 OBSESSION ?
    Audi can't release a car without some 1 here wondering if it's faster then an M3.
    If u r so obsessed w/ an M3 why don't u just buy 1 instead of an Audi ?

Quote Originally Posted by M3 owner View Post
    What is w/ this M3 OBSESSION ?
    Audi can't release a car without some 1 here wondering if it's faster then an M3.
    If u r so obsessed w/ an M3 why don't u just buy 1 instead of an Audi ?
    I think you need to read the start of this thread and you will see that it was discussed on an M3 forum. Maybe it's M3 owners obsession with beating Audis to is the problem.
    Search and you will find the truth.

The R8 is more fast than M3 in circuit and drag race!
    0-200 in 14.3 is very fast!

the new M3 will not beat RS4 in a drag race or in Nurburgring for example, R8 do not count cause it will humiliate nasty the new M3 with his 30/70 quattro, middle engine and of course those super high tech suspension MagneRide:d
    Who wanna bet with me that M3 will not beat RS4?WHO WHO?I Have money who wanna takes this?!
    My future RS4 cabriolet in the summer when it will arrive will have a supercharger in which my RS4 will develop 560-580HP, milltek exaust, bigger tires, carbon ceramic brakes, carbon fiber interior and more of this...when it will arrive i will drive 1500km as requested by audi and then let's modificate it:d I will make it an extreme beast...so if any M5/M6 or future M3 CSL or M6 CSL would want to mess with my car i will kick them off...i expect to do 320-330km with the supercharger, but by then i'm so nervous that i can drive the car right now cause it's not possible to get if so fast...Audi exclusive line has their limitations sadly but i will be thankfull to God that it will come in the middle of the summer so i will enjoy the summer with it!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperstarDriver View Post
    Who wanna bet with me that M3 will not beat RS4?WHO WHO?
    Get real, the RS4 has been beaten by an E46 M3 in some instances.

Quote Originally Posted by bastordd View Post
    The R8 is more fast than M3 in circuit and drag race!
    0-200 in 14.3 is very fast!
    Who has recorded a 14.3 0-200? Audi themselves claimed a 14.9 and r8's haven't hit either figure. Once we start seeing some broken in cars I think 14.9 will probably be achieved but car and driver has the fastest test of the R8 to date and wasn't anywhere near a 14.3.

really?should i remember to you the time that a superdriver with RS4 has beaten the "mighty" M3,M5,M6, M3 CSL?! 7.58...M6 (the best BMW) was only 8.04sec WITH 87HP more so?!Haha....BMW faster then Audi?!Dream on...
    RS4 will beat the crap new M3 saloon, RS5 will beat the crap M3 coupe and M3 CSL coupe, RS6 will definitively kick M5 ass and of course future R8 V10 will beat M6 CSL for sure (but you must wait for both of it) and yes i know R8 is not the rival to M6 but i wanna see that test coming cause it will be very very important to see how Audi has grown up and not challenge BMW but beat them at every category!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperstarDriver View Post
    really?should i remember to you the time that a superdriver with RS4 has beaten the "mighty" M3,M5,M6, M3 CSL?! 7.58...M6 (the best BMW) was only 8.04sec WITH 87HP more so?!Haha....BMW faster then Audi?!Dream on...
    RS4 will beat the crap new M3 saloon, RS5 will beat the crap M3 coupe and M3 CSL coupe, RS6 will definitively kick M5 ass and of course future R8 V10 will beat M6 CSL for sure (but you must wait for both of it) and yes i know R8 is not the rival to M6 but i wanna see that test coming cause it will be very very important to see how Audi has grown up and not challenge BMW but beat them at every category!
    What the f*ck are you on?

Sorry superstardriver but all of your info is wrong. Both the M6 and RS4's times are the same. As for what the RS5 will do to the M3 or M3 CSL, lets see how well the S5 performs and then discuss the merit of it before moving on to a car that hasn't a release date set.

The post is about the M3 being quicker than a R8 which was started by some M3 owners on another site. Lets get back on topic please.

sticky. this is another warning. you have posted offensive responses almost twice in a row.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

First full test of R8(with all acceleration measurements) will be published in the next issue of German AMS on 25th April(Issue 10/2007).

So, let's wait with this almost pointless discussion(at least IMHO) till then...
    BTW, do not be shocked if test resluts do not meet all expectations...

New M3 fast as R8? In straight line and on the dry road answer is yes. On the track or twisties? Answer is no. Of course IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    New M3 fast as R8? In straight line and on the dry road answer is yes. On the track or twisties? Answer is no. Of course IMHO...
    I think it would be better to compare the R8 to the CSL for the track or twisties, even though the R8 is double the price of a CSL.

it doesn't compare new M3 with R8...R8 is much faster, way more handlling and very very precise machine, i don't care about BMW statements but if you see how thinks grow up in the last 10 years you shall see that BMW is looking at Audi to develop their M cars and thei also think they could beat them but they couldn't of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Informer View Post
    I think it would be better to compare the R8 to the CSL for the track or twisties, even though the R8 is double the price of a CSL.
    The CSL was a very special car for BMW and history has shown that even with what was learned from the CSL exercise, BMW still haven't developed a car to better it. If someone was to tell me that the R8 was even better than a CSL in the handling department than I would class that as very high praise indeed.

What do you mean. Isn't the R8 a supercar or something. No compromises in the handling department? I should kill the CSL's 7:50 ring time.

i don't think it'll kill it, but i think it will be no slower. which would say alot given the luxury and smoothness it has that the CSL will never have.

what might be interesting is the so called M6 CSL. i wonder if bmw will "soften" their new CSL models a bit in order to show an even more multifaceted overachieveing nature. that is an area they have yet to touch audi on.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

What luxury & smoothness are you talking about? Where is the engine in the R8? I'm not familiar with the setup. How high is the centre of gravity? Does it have back seats & a trunk? Does it have all these compromises which affect handling?