Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R8 V10 test mule caught fire!

i think it'll be called R8. remember it is a model line folks. and a line can have more than one engine. R10 will likely be held for the successor (if the porsche stinkies ever allow it)...
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    i think it'll be called R8. remember it is a model line folks. and a line can have more than one engine. R10 will likely be held for the successor (if the porsche stinkies ever allow it)...
    Most likely not, they have aparently allready use there Veto agains Audi's plan for a R4 and R6 mid engine sportcars.

Hans.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Most likely not, they have aparently allready use there Veto agains Audi's plan for a R4 and R6 mid engine sportcars.

Hans.

wait a sec. are Fing serious? got a source?

F88888888888888888888K
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

But why are talking about a 480hp R8?? Is it completely sure that it will have "only" 480 and Audi will make the mistake again that stay under 500hp???
    It's not sounds so good That car would need at least 550hp. VW try to make a competitor to many Audis but Audi is not allowed to make one to the Lamborghini? Not so fair politics inside the company
    5 Audis so far...currently:
    2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDI Multitronic

Quote Originally Posted by Toto89 View Post
    But why are talking about a 480hp R8?? Is it completely sure that it will have "only" 480 and Audi will make the mistake again that stay under 500hp???
    It's not sounds so good That car would need at least 550hp. VW try to make a competitor to many Audis but Audi is not allowed to make one to the Lamborghini? Not so fair politics inside the company
    I don't know if the RS8 (if it's to be called that) will only kick out 480hp, the Gallardo is to get an increase to 530~550hp by 2008 so surely Audi can go within 30hp of either of those figures and this not directly compete with the Lambo.

As for VW making competitors to Audi in the A3/Golf range the two higher performance models are the GTi vs A3 S-line 2.0T and the R32 vs S3 both of these models are very closely matched in price. As for the Passat R36 which model is it really competing with, not really the S4 and neither the current 3.2FSi. The difference between these VW models and the R8 is the huge difference in price between the two, in the UK it's over £50K or roughly $95K, who in their right mind would pay the difference for the Lambo if the performance was even close.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Why not having the future RS6 engine in it? that would sound much more reasonable in terms of developement costs and testing.... I understand internal competition issues but Lamborghini is and will be an upmarket brand.... should not fear the competition of an Audi!!!

Here is my opinions on this R8v10. Using an engine with turbos is perfectly OK if the intention of the car is more in keeping with the likes of the 997turbo (luxury/supercar) but it they want it to compete with the likes of the GT3 then I believe only a N/A power plant will do.

But I have a problem with the power output (480hp) if this car is called the RS8. The standard R8 has 420hp and historically RS model have had a lot more power than the ordinary version and my sorry but 60hp extra is not exactly pushing the boat out unless they are dropping the weight and I somehow doubt that is going to happen.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Not to be a kill-joy but...

No the standard car sounds a far better bet, all the looks, handling etc and £25K better off to allow me to got and get some serious tuning done to the engine.

I have always wondered why are Audi going down the v10 route for the R8 when they already have a V8tt with would be perfect for the job
    Agree. I'm thinking that the V8 is the best buy. And if more power is really needed... V8TT all the way.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

it'll be called the R8 regardless of engine. any takers or bets? polls everyone
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

i think that makeing V10 480hp 5.2L would be stupidity, i think it won't be faster than V8 one on track, unless they make it lighter... weight reduction would be perfect for fat V10 R8.... P.S i dream about R10 with V12 TDI with +650 horses..... that would be a monster..... and i like MR USERs idea about new RS6 engine in RS8...
    Maybe BMW is better than Mercedes or Mercedes is better than BMW but there is one car which better then both of them together... 25 years quattro..AUDI

past: Nissan Micra K11 1.3 16 valve;
    BMW 325 1995 192hp(stock) Chip tuning up to 207hp.
    Present: Audi A4 2.8L V6 237hp (intercooling system, injection, chip tuning)

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post
    Agree. I'm thinking that the V8 is the best buy. And if more power is really needed... V8TT all the way.

Ben
    I vote yes to Turbos!!!!!!

(keep the hp number low'ish, and tune it for insane torque= everyone happy. i think.)

RB

You see guys...i said a loooooooooooong time ago the R8 should come with a
    TTV8, does anyone have some inside info on why Audi chose a N/A instead of a
    TT FSI V8 like the LeMans racer?

Javier

translation?
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Use google translate.