Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weight Balance of the A5 & S5

Well, 335xi may cost you about the same or a little bit less. I also doubt they actiually drove it. They don't even have a real picture of the car that they drove and the review has no real content except "we like 335i better".

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    I reckon by 2020 he will be as laid back as Ben.
    ROFLMAO!!!

Somehow I doubt it.

Seriously, SuperStar, if you wish to continue "contributing" here, please refrain from the "BMW DRIVERS SUCK, BMW MUST DIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE" comments. Please. We are asking nicely.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

We Are On An Audi Fan Forum With All The Members Fanatism Of Audi So Why Should I Do That?!no I Will Not Do That!if Someone Will Look At The Bmw Forums You'll See There They Think They Are "the Boss, The Meanest, The Most Powerfull, The Most Sexier And God Of The Roads With Bmw Cars"...i Hate When Someone Is Saying That! I Just Wait My Rs4 To Come And Destroy All Bmw S......r In My Country At Least...if Any Driver With Bmw Will Challenge Me After Destroying All M3 M3 Csl M5 And M6 I Will Humiliate Him In Front Of Everyone...i Will Supercarche My Future Rs4 (summer Order Arrival) To About 580hp And Let's See Then Who's The B....h Here...bmw Better, Faster, Beautiful And Meanest Than Audi?!sweet Dreams Bmw...

Just a silly question ,:blush: how much weight a S5 ?
    The future RS5 might be tempting me yet .:trash: I think that Audi should pay Leadfoot a commission for promoting Quattro Gmbh .
    When you have eliminated the impossible , whatever remains , however improbable , must be the truth.
    ..Sherlock Holmes..

Quote Originally Posted by IulianUM View Post
    Just a silly question ,:blush: how much weight a S5 ?
    The future RS5 might be tempting me yet .:trash: I think that Audi should pay Leadfoot a commission for promoting Quattro Gmbh .
    The weight of the S5 is 1630Kgs compared to 1600Kgs for a 335i Coupe, not bad when you consider the Audi has a V8 and quattro drive. Talk is that the RS5 might appear sometime next year but if the RS6 is only due in spring '08 I think you will have to wait until sometime in '09.

As for the commission, how sure are you I am not getting paid.
    Search and you will find the truth.

I may not agree with SuperstarDriver on the way he puts down his words, but I admire and love his passion for Audi. It is way cool. Though his comments towards wannabe BMW owners is not politically correct, he does make point in regards to BMW owners' overall Napolean complex regarding their cars. Incidently, if you examine many of the comparisions in the Tier 1 automotive sector over the last three years in much of the world's main automotive journals (not to mention the awards from the industry), and quality and reliabitliy data, Audi has won a majority of those comparisons easily besting BMW. So, SuperstarDriver does have a point somewhere in his run-on sentences. It will be very interesting to see what the next decade will bring between the world's "Big Three". All indicators point to a very dominate Audi. The RS6 is just one example where BMW will have a difficulty coming up with an answer. The S6 has been seen as much better, and it lacks a good 70 + bhp on the M5!:bigeyes: The R8 has already left BMW befuddled in terms of a response. And in terms of a long view of the two businesses (even the three busineses), Audi has the best business model and synergies for long-term research and development (not to mention cash, considering Audi has already surpassed BMW in terms of net capital return on investment this year), and overall future global strength. With Audi, Porsche, and the VW Automotive Group (throw in Piech for his shear presence and cunning) aligned against BMW, let just say I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that stick. Though the US continues to be somewhat of an achille's heel for Audi, I do not forsee this to continue too long into the future. It is about proper profitablity and not about how many units are moved. There is a reason why BMW leases are generally 60% cheaper than that of Mercedes-Benz and Audi, and why the A8 continues to command a higher price point than any 7-Series (8 or 12 cylinder).

So BMW fanboys need to get a dose of reality that their little cars are not necessarily the best any longer. But I guess this is hard to do as long as the BMW CEO continues to make "highly intelligent comments" that Audi is not a threat. As they say, reality lags behind perception.
    Last edited by Audiphile; April 23rd, 2007 at 03:36.
    "Four Rings to Rule Them All - Audi"

Thank you Audiphile, you are the one who understand my passion and why i say that Audi is way better than BMW at every category!By the way guys every magazine of this planet is comparing any car maker with Audi...for example "the materials are not like from Audi", "the design not like from Audi", etc...everything in this moment and in the future is connected to Audi brand...Company of the year:AUDI, The most beautiful car of the year:TT, Performance car of the year:RS4, SUV car of the year by Autobild, AMS:Q7, Best Supercompact car:S3, etc etc etc...Audi rocks and even people from BMW knows that but they can't do nothing stopping this hugely brand upper power of Audi A.G...

Well there are car/Audi enthusiasts but IMO, true car enthusiasts don't go knocking other brands saying that brand xyz sucks. But that's just my opinion. I know guys with BMWs and frankly they're just as crazy about their cars but they don't go dissing the Audi brand either.

i dislike scartttttt scarrrtttt like BMW does ALLL THE TIME IN ALL GEAR IT'S CALL INEFICIENT TRACTION...AND INEFICIENCY = BAD TIMES ON RACETRACK!!!

Whatever turns your crank.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperstarDriver View Post
    i dislike scartttttt scarrrtttt like BMW does ALLL THE TIME IN ALL GEAR IT'S CALL INEFICIENT TRACTION...AND INEFICIENCY = BAD TIMES ON RACETRACK!!!

SuperStar,

You obviously do not watch racing...

Please, we know you dislike BMWs, it's no secret. Just skip the "BMWS SUCK!!!" lingo, we all get the point. Try to contribute in a positive way. Many people who are members here do in fact own Audis and BMWs. They do not like their cars being disrespected. Just becasue they own BMWs does not in fact make them stupid.

And yes, in the past you pointed out (correctly) that there are BMW forums that disrespect Audis... Well, we are NOT one of those kinds of forums, we are better than that! And that is why so many seem to want to join rs6.com. Please, let us keep it that way. And yes, we ALL love Audis.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

ok i understand man...by the way my country is NO.1 IN THE WORLD WITH THE MOST AGRESSIVE AND DEATHLY ACCIDENTS IN THE WORLD and yes this is the country where BMW still is no 1 in accidents and 80% of the accidents is with BMW cars, so....

ok i understand man...
    Thanks Super, that is all I ask.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

ok i understand man...by the way my country is NO.1 IN THE WORLD WITH THE MOST AGRESSIVE AND DEATHLY ACCIDENTS IN THE WORLD and yes this is the country where BMW still is no 1 in accidents and 80% of the accidents is with BMW cars, so....
    could that be not because of the cars but because of the idiots who drive them? or because of poor traffic laws? etc..?

for sure i think we are plagued by bad drivers here in the US and especially in FL.

so we do have our share here too, superstar.

BTW- i am not a bimmer fan either, prob. more so because of the kinds of people i associate with them that buy them and not so much because of the machines themselves.... but yeah, agree with ben. we gotta be nice to them. at least out of sympathy :trash:
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

In general, Audi is safer - A4, A6, A8 are all rated higher than BMW in collision tests. BMW is not unsafe, however an agressive driver can make bigger mistakes and get into trouble easilier with RWD, than with AWD or even FWD. They often overestimate their own capabilities.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]quattro rules...[/SIZE][/FONT]

We will soon learn the S5's true weight distribution, but deliberate chassis tuning is the main reason for why some reviews claim that it feels numb and understeery. And this can be fixed if desired - maybe in the upcoming RS5.

The one-dimensional focus on weight balance is misplaced. Sure, it - along with weight - affects how prone the car is to understeer and what the starting point is - but chassis tuning and accessories are generally more important until we reach very giddy levels where the power to overcome simply runs out. But that is high indeed and generally relevant only for dedicated track cars. Moreover, the advocated 50%-50% is not dynamically the ideal weight distribution even for track cars.

Especially in daily driving, dynamics and the feeling of nimbleness is reasonably proxied by slalom rather than track times where power-to-weight and power understeer and other (designed) limit behaviour etc. come into play.

Exhibit 1: The R8: on fat 19" PZeros and with MRC, it posts slalom 69.2km/h - very well done, non-GT 911 roll over. With Corsas and ceramics, it will probably be a draw with the mighthy GT3 RS which posted 73.2km/h with PCCB and Pilot Sport Cups. R8: 1632kg, 44.0% up front. GT3 RS 1424kg, 39.0% up front.

Exhibit 2: The RS4: on 19" Corsas, SS+ and Ceramics, it clocks 68.9km/h. Weight 1728kg, 59.5% up front. This is Porsche 911 territory with mirror image weight distribution.

Exhibit 3: The TT 2.0TFSI FWD: on 18" 245 PZeros and MRC, it posts 68.2km/h. Weight 1310kg, 60.3% up front. This is nearly same as the R8 on same, albeit smaller, tyres and FWD - think about it.

Exhibit 4: MTM S3: 69.4km/h on 19" 235 Pilots. Weight 1522kg and 60.0% up front. By the way, Hockenheim - while not the scope for this comparison - is 1.16.7min as compared with 1.16.3min for the M3, which has only 50kg more weight but also 24PS more. How about this as proof of overcoming weight balance issues?

Sources: R8 AMS 10/2007, rest Sport Auto results.

Quattro the feeling of nimbleness is proportional to the weight over the front wheels and it's ability to change directions with the least momentum. This is called moment of inertia. Think of the car as balance on a needle. If the distance between the tires is equidistant, there is less energy needed to rotate the car's mass. No amount of techno-wizardry can fix a flawed chassis balance. Sure you can mask it so the driver doesn't feel it, but it's still physically there.

Quote Originally Posted by chiphead View Post
    Quattro the feeling of nimbleness is proportional to the weight over the front wheels and it's ability to change directions with the least momentum. This is called moment of inertia. Think of the car as balance on a needle. If the distance between the tires is equidistant, there is less energy needed to rotate the car's mass. No amount of techno-wizardry can fix a flawed chassis balance. Sure you can mask it so the driver doesn't feel it, but it's still physically there.
    I personally think weight balance should ideal be 55% front biased for any car that is either fwd or awd with the engine at the front. BMW believe 50/50 for rwd but there is a lot of other rwd companies who disagree with that.

Entertainment is something totally different from ability and when they talk about the Audi car's understeering I wish they would talk about the speed at when this happens compared to it's rivals, I know that the 335i understeers at a lot less speed than the S5 and it's this ability that makes the S5 ultimately the quicker car.

Trust me, the S5 will post a higher slalom speed than the RS4.
    Search and you will find the truth.