Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoked an M3 today...

Smoked an M3 today...

So I was pulling out of the gas station and I see an E46 M3 hauling behind me. I floor it on the way out of the city and I hear his engine screaming behind me. From about 30-40 km/h we got up to around 120 I guess - maybe 130. Umm - I did at least. He was around 10-15 car lengths behind and he floored it at the same time that I did...

Oh - I was in my S3.

Yes - its fast. Yes - he was trying to keep up. When I slowed down he broke a few traffic laws, blasted down the oncoming lane swerving in between traffic while I took it home slowly to get the turbo cooled.

Wish I was in the RS though.
    2007 RS4 Avant | Misano | Black Optics | SS+
    2001 S3 | Ebony

Nice KILL !

That turbo is proving good on the acasions like this...

I wonder what would be the outcome if you were in ''the beast''...

Same or faster I'd guess. My S3 is actually not that much slower than a 911 4S in real world situations such as the autobahn. Close to 1000km of driving in 2 cars proved this. I was quite surprised myself. The RS4 however feels much much faster from 160km/h and up. Gets up to 200-220 in a flash in comparison with the S3.
    2001 S3 | Ebony

nice story

Always nice to read this kind of "experience"

How many ps is your S3?
    Because an M3 kills an S3 "fingers in the noise"...i've had both and it's not hte same world.

Was this the new S3 or an old one tuned a little. I have raced three M3s while owning my S4v8 and though I won every one of those races the gap of the won was only 3 car length at most up to 140mph. The problem with all races is missing a gear, in the heat of the race you do tend to rush things in the hope to not lose any forward motion but sometime you fluff it.

The best kill I every got was against an M3 at the lights in the rain, it was a race that lasted all of 10 seconds. I was waiting for the lights to change when I heard this M3 revving beside me, I put mine into first and waited for the lights to change and then I would floor it. Just before the lights changed I noticed a police car sitting at the lights on the other side of the road, I smiled and started to rev my car. When the lights changed the M3 floored it spinning the wheels and I crawled away and watched the police car do a u-turn and pull it over.

What a sweet victory, I beat him to the end of the road with minutes to spare.
    Search and you will find the truth.

I had an M3 SMG2, and it kills an S4 V8 easily...cars must not be the same in UK lol

(and i own a RS4 V8....so i'm a bit objectiv)

Quote Originally Posted by piero View Post
    I had an M3 SMG2, and it kills an S4 V8 easily...cars must not be the same in UK lol

I haven't an answer to you piero, maybe my S4 is very quick but all I would tell you is when I raced the brother-in-law in his M3, he would have loved nothing more than to beat me and his was the closest and he's race was a rolling start at 20mph right to 140mph.

If I had beaten one M3 then you could said it was a slow one, but not three of them. By the way mine could clock 170mph without the limiter kicking in.

Well....no answer for me too....i've beaten 2 S4 V8 with my ex M3 SMG2 so.....maybe it depends on how we use the car.
    I definetly think that the more you drive fast, the faster the car is.....or become.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Was this the new S3 or an old one tuned a little. I have raced three M3s while owning my S4v8 and though I won every one of those races the gap of the won was only 3 car length at most up to 140mph. The problem with all races is missing a gear, in the heat of the race you do tend to rush things in the hope to not lose any forward motion but sometime you fluff it.

The best kill I every got was against an M3 at the lights in the rain, it was a race that lasted all of 10 seconds. I was waiting for the lights to change when I heard this M3 revving beside me, I put mine into first and waited for the lights to change and then I would floor it. Just before the lights changed I noticed a police car sitting at the lights on the other side of the road, I smiled and started to rev my car. When the lights changed the M3 floored it spinning the wheels and I crawled away and watched the police car do a u-turn and pull it over.

What a sweet victory, I beat him to the end of the road with minutes to spare.

That's funny as hell.

I did the same thing to a guy in a Mustang back in 1999 with my M3 Luxury '97. He was trying to prove something, so I saw the cop, baited the Mustang, and had fun driving back around the block to wave to him as he waited for his ticket...LOL..

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    That's funny as hell.

I did the same thing to a guy in a Mustang back in 1999 with my M3 Luxury '97. He was trying to prove something, so I saw the cop, baited the Mustang, and had fun driving back around the block to wave to him as he waited for his ticket...LOL..

Mike
    That is exactly what I did and you know what, the policeman giving him the ticket was smiling too.

He knew exactly what I had done.

Quote Originally Posted by piero View Post

In this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQC-8CDdHog
    M3 kills from around fourth gear ...don't know the speed of an S4 i fourth but 130km/h?

My S3 has about 1.8 bars of boost. Its the 2001 model with the 1.8T engine. Power output is unmeasured, but it makes 0-60mph in 5.1 secs, quarter mile is in the high 13s.

Anyway - just posted this because this was my first M3 that I met on the road with some empty road in front of us.
    2001 S3 | Ebony

I'm sorry but all this comes down to driver. With equal drivers a M3 will smoke a S4v8 and most likely your S3 too (depending on what your mods are).

And the S3 being only slightly slower then a 911 4S cannot be true either. If your running the stock turbo a 4S will eat you for breakfest, especially on the autobahn where aerodynamics come into play.

Not to say you haven't won some races, we all have won races we know we shouldn't have due to the other drivers errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mori View Post
    My S3 has about 1.8 bars of boost. Its the 2001 model with the 1.8T engine. Power output is unmeasured, but it makes 0-60mph in 5.1 secs, quarter mile is in the high 13s.

Anyway - just posted this because this was my first M3 that I met on the road with some empty road in front of us.

kem: of course at high speeds its slower. But up to 220-230km/h I kept up with the 4S extremely well - especially in acceleration from around 120-130 to 180-200. I was very shocked to tell the truth - and my dad who was driving the 911 at the time was flabbergasted to say the least. And surprisingly the RS4 doesn't feel much quicker until I hit 140-160 when all hell breaks loose in 4th gear.

My S3 does 280km/h on the speedo - that should be around a realistic 240-260km/h. Our 911 had an indicated 296 I believe on the autobahn.

Of course it comes down to the driver - and since I have no clue who was driving or how good he is I can't say for sure, but I know he was trying.

Oh - my S3 is faster than a Cayenne Turbo (450HP) from 0 to 120-130. My neighbor was furious.

Anyway - as the quote goes: "Winning is winning, doesn't matter if its by an inch or a mile."

BTW: had a nice trip in nice weather today in the RS4, about 400km of driving and I met a nice 650i. I didn't know they were that slow to 200km/h. I was behind him from about 100km/h or so and had to keep lifting off the throttle so as not to overtake him. Kinda thought that RWD would make a bigger difference at high speeds. Still waiting for that M6 - would like to see how fast it is in real life situations.
    2001 S3 | Ebony

Well gee, i smoked this and that. But please what do this tell us.

I think i have never ever in my whole life said somthing like this.....well i was driving in second gear and gee i see a gallardo, and gee i smoked it. Please what do this tell anybody, rather than its well gee... hard o know what the bloke in the other car was doing. For all i know he could have at the moment been learning French from a sound bok in I pod Hes car might been broke Or he might bee one of them that most like to wash the car, he accually came from the wash right now and he kind of dident wanted to spank the new washed car

These kind of kill bill is not valid at ALL, well for some they mean much anyway, for other nothing

Well if i line up whit a friend sevral times in a drag or going for it on track vs friend in other car or in street, well would it not then bee more common sense to say what happend, the 2 of you would bee on the same attack mode then, the 2 of you would give all.

But to say i kill the guy doing French lesson at luch time in the street whit my car, well his car was shit....bla, bla

Well nothing wrong, we all do have diffrent thinking about things, all ok when i think of it. We are all diffrent.
    "Learning by doing"

"It's racing, bullfighting and mountain climbing - the rest is just games"
    ..Hemingway..

Quote Originally Posted by Mori View Post
    kem: of course at high speeds its slower. But up to 220-230km/h I kept up with the 4S extremely well - especially in acceleration from around 120-130 to 180-200. I was very shocked to tell the truth - and my dad who was driving the 911 at the time was flabbergasted to say the least. And surprisingly the RS4 doesn't feel much quicker until I hit 140-160 when all hell breaks loose in 4th gear.

My S3 does 280km/h on the speedo - that should be around a realistic 240-260km/h. Our 911 had an indicated 296 I believe on the autobahn.

Of course it comes down to the driver - and since I have no clue who was driving or how good he is I can't say for sure, but I know he was trying.

Oh - my S3 is faster than a Cayenne Turbo (450HP) from 0 to 120-130. My neighbor was furious.

Anyway - as the quote goes: "Winning is winning, doesn't matter if its by an inch or a mile."

BTW: had a nice trip in nice weather today in the RS4, about 400km of driving and I met a nice 650i. I didn't know they were that slow to 200km/h. I was behind him from about 100km/h or so and had to keep lifting off the throttle so as not to overtake him. Kinda thought that RWD would make a bigger difference at high speeds. Still waiting for that M6 - would like to see how fast it is in real life situations.
    Mori sorry to wake you up, but what you talk about is HARDLY real life situations.
    What do you know of the driver traveling on freeway to nice in a car, nothing, he might be blind for all you know, it might bee a radar driving his car? Or he might be afraid of speed He might not comfortabel doing full speed, you might be
    "Learning by doing"

"It's racing, bullfighting and mountain climbing - the rest is just games"
    ..Hemingway..

He knew what he was doing when I slowed down and he shot by me crossing over a double line, causing oncoming traffic to swerve out of his way etc.

Anyway - everyone has a right to their own opinion but like I said - I only mentioned this because this was my first M3 that I met in a situation where hard acceleration was possible.
    2001 S3 | Ebony