Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: RS6 Brake Cooling Modifications - Details

Quote Originally Posted by pyiu View Post
    so I was curious, how much would the vw phaeton brake cooling mod run, as well will the pagid 15 and 19's be good for street?

also are there any vendors here in the states that do stainless lines for the beast.

one more if I don't intend to do track events should I just stick with Oem rotors with the pagid pads and cooling ducts and brake fluid (motul).

Thanks!
    Phil
    Off the top of my head it seems like the cooling kit parts were about $200. As for using the Pagid Race pads on the street. I wouldn't recommend it for several reasons. Under "normal" driving you'll never get them hot enough to work properly. Using the pads cold will cause uneven pad deposits on the rotors. When you first get on the brakes when they're cold, they won't grab as well as the street pads. Could cause a problem in a tight situation on the street. And switching between street pads and track pads with Pagids causes it's own set of issues. Especially if the street pads are carbon based and the track pads are ceramic based. Many have used Pagid Orange's for the street with good results but they can be noisy at street temps. The OEM rotors with other less aggressive Pagid track pad's may be OK but I think I would check with someone at Pagid directly before doing that just to be sure. The Motul RBF 600 fluid is OK for street use but you should change it out AT LEAST once a year. As for the brake ducts on the street....I typically take the scoops off for street use to avoid having road debris thrown on to the inside face of the rotor. That may be a bit anal but that's just the way I am on some things. On a similar note...I don't have the cooling duct scoops on when I'm bedding in a new set of pads.

As you may have surmized by now, using the vehicle on the street & the track creates it's own set of comprimises if you're trying to save time, effort and money. That's why some have just bitten the bullet and actually have a "track car" and a "street car". It would be nice to be able to afford that luxury!

I'm sure you can find a shop in any major metropolitan area that can "hook you up" with SS brake lines. And I know there are small shops in little towns scattered throughout the country that do this kind of work. It will take a little research to find them.

Don't know if I told you what you wanted to hear but that's my $0.02 worth!
    Last edited by JP4; August 1st, 2007 at 16:10.

Registered User DetailersDomain's Avatar
    thanks for the response ...so what would be a good street only set up. Stick with the oem rotors and pads?
    Phil Yiu
    Detailer's Domain
    e-mail: phil@detailersdomain.com

thanks for the response ...so what would be a good street only set up. Stick with the oem rotors and pads?
    seems sadly so short of a "BBK"
    I hate inertia...

Street Set Up

JP4 gave an excellent response. If you don't have any desire to take your car to the track then you are OK with OEM. Audi spent a lot of money for the street setup.
    If you like to be aggressive in the twisties quite often then you should consider flushing/replenishing brake fluid with Motul RBF600 and might want to consider RS14 front pads. If this is an occasional thing then stay with OEM pads and don't abuse them. If they get really hot, Slow Down, let them cool.
    Or, you could put in RS14 for the times you want to go to the twisties, or the track, to push the car.
    If you change your mind and want to spend time at the track, there's lots of good information in this post.

Regards, Jimmy S.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy94507 View Post
    JP4 gave an excellent response. If you don't have any desire to take your car to the track then you are OK with OEM. Audi spent a lot of money for the street setup.
    Ditto that.

I have some H-Sport sways I run, but that is it (brakes bone stock). The only reason I'd change (suspension) at all would be when (not if ) the DRC fails... as for brakes, works great for street.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Where can I get the Phaeton cooling scoops kit?
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by snoopra View Post
    Where can I get the Phaeton cooling scoops kit?

You'll have to get the parts at your dealer and mend the pieces yourself so that they'll fit. Not a very hard job, you only have to cut out a piece.
    Get out and drive

Quote Originally Posted by LU-RS6 View Post
    You'll have to get the parts at your dealer and mend the pieces yourself so that they'll fit. Not a very hard job, you only have to cut out a piece.
    Guys and Gals, I REALLY want to do this MOD, but I live in the US Virgin Islands and we don't have any AUDI or VW dealerships here. Can someone purchase the parts (kit) for me and I'll send payment through paypal? If not, does anyone know a website I could buy the parts from?
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Parts are $210 from my local audi/vw dealership when it's all said and done. My technician is offering to help me take care of it but wanted to poll you guys to see how much I should pay him?

Quote Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck View Post
    Parts are $210 from my local audi/vw dealership when it's all said and done. My technician is offering to help me take care of it but wanted to poll you guys to see how much I should pay him?
    Hi Guy's, I havn't read all through this thread, but the Grizzmiester fitted my ducts a month or so ago, and they are fabulous. There will be a new vid up on my return home, showing the difference between my 8 mile thrash without the ducts (if you remember, the fade was awful!) and one conducted along the exact same route a few days ago. You will not believe the difference...........

Alex
    So fast, it will re-arrange yer trousers!!

Alex,

what do you think is a fair price to pay my technician for him to modify the ducts for me? I'm supplying the parts...

Grizz did mine including the parts for £110.00.
    It really wasn't (now that I have seen it done) a massive job. About an hours labour in all. The jig was already done, the surplus section was cut out with an air saw and the edges ground smooth, the only bit I would be worried about would br removing and refitting the calipers. I would much rather get that done by a pro like Grizz seeing as my life depends on em!

damn, including parts for £110?? For me the parts are about that much! Heh. Though I guess the big thing is that grizz's done it before and as you said, already had much of it done.

And I agree with you 100% about having a pro do it!

I am not sure whether I got a bit of "discount" as the wheels were off etc, as Grizz was doing my cam belt, rollers, tensioners and pulleys, aswell as the water pump and thermostat and a 50k mile service, including pollen filter and spark plugs, plus a couple of sexy black FORGE diveter valves..........

Do you want me to get a price on shipping to the us ?? I can cut and prep the kit so all you have to do is bolt it on .. Grizz

Grizz,

Your tag line will soon need to be - "Worldwide"

Is the 11th June still a possibility to come and see you for a bit more "tweeking"

Alex
    Last edited by cornishmoocher; June 5th, 2008 at 20:11. Reason: I meant june not july....

Not a problem ....

Grizz, please do that (Irvine, CA, zip code: 92604) and I generally get a 20$~30% discount for FedEx, let me know how much the shipping might be but if I had my audi tech do it, what do you think is a fair price?