Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Freedoms

Our Freedoms

I posted this here since "Lifestyle" is all about Everything about the things that make our lives more enjoyable... well, this is the exact opposite! Where in the world are our freedoms going?!?

My goodness? Spanking to be banned?!?

http://www.slate.com/id/2158310 (as a side note, I find spanking is already banned in one form or another in several countries already!!!).

What message does this send to my daughter?!?

http://www.newstarget.com/021490.html

And if we in the States think we're alone...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/...997283,00.html

When will enough be enough? When does George Orwell's 1984 be found in the NON fiction department of the local library?!?!?

Rant over...

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

This is the way the world is going

They tried to ban smacking / spanking your own children in the UK recently, It failed to become a law.
    I'm sure it will try to be passed again soon, now the subject is making headlines again.
    How dare anybody else tell us how we can and cannot control our own kids.

Regarding the Guardian report about I.D cards - thats a pile of shit - I dont know anybody who is willing to carry an I.D card for the reasons stated!!
    This, unfortunately, is the media pedalling the governments idea, giving the impression that everyone else is accepting the idea of the cards, when they are not. (thinking : well if most other people think its o.k, then it must be o.k )
    These will be forged just like every other current I.D proof (driving license, passport etc).... SO WHATS THE POINT. It will make no difference at all.

Blood pressure rising....

Quote Originally Posted by Lateknight View Post
    ...SO WHATS THE POINT. It will make no difference at all.

Blood pressure rising....
    That is exactly the point my friend. The "bad" people will still be able to get their hands on whatever they want. It is the "good" people that will suffer and be controlled.

Look at gun control, there are still armed robberies in countries where guns are banned! Hmm... you'd think banning them would make a difference. No, instead, the "good" people are left defenseless, waiting for the "bobbies" to show up.

When will it end?

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

B en, you can thank ACA for majority of s&^t happeing today related to personal freedom ...
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3
    RAM3500 D Cummins 6.7 Diesel

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ObamaCare: Medicine with IRS compassion and DMV urgency.

"A politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself...."

If the liberals love communism so much, why don't they move to China?

ACA = Ambulance Chasers Association
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3

"A politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself...."

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post
    That is exactly the point my friend. The "bad" people will still be able to get their hands on whatever they want. It is the "good" people that will suffer and be controlled.

Look at gun control, there are still armed robberies in countries where guns are banned! Hmm... you'd think banning them would make a difference. No, instead, the "good" people are left defenseless, waiting for the "bobbies" to show up.

When will it end?

Ben
    Gun Control alas Ben this is something I totally agree with. All guns should be taken out of the public domain, yes there will still be robbers and terrorists with them but at least accidental death will be greatly reduced and the bottom line is that's what's important.

Coming from Northern Ireland, I know about terrorism and frankly our death toll is tiny in comparison to the States even taking into account it's increased population, this is solely down to the fact we have gun control, Police have them and no one else.

As an outsider I will never understand the Americans fascination with the things and their belief it's their God given right to protect their property through the use of the gun.

Guns are for shooting ranges and the movies, nothing else.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by gjg View Post
    ACA = Ambulance Chasers Association

Leadie,

You know, my entire life, I believed the exact same thing as you did. But recently, I went down the path of the Libertarian (NOT to be confused with "Liberal" ).

An outstanding book on the subject is More Guns, Less Crime by John R. Lott, Jr. He systematically debunks all the myths and garbage the media and government crams down all of our throats about how guns kill and that all guns should be banned from private use.

He sites excellent examples of how gun ownership actually reduces crime. Even here in the States, there is a huge discrepency between one State and another. Take California and Arizona. Although these States are neighbors, there is a big difference in car jackings, muggins and breaking and entering. And I'm not talking about Cali has more populace, so more crime. I'm talking about per capita.

Since Arizona has very lenient laws for concealed weapons permit, it is well known by all criminals that there is a very real chance, that the young lady said criminal is about to mug, may be "packing". Now, in Cali, this is not the case. Instead, there is a very slight chance that the young lady said criminal is about to mug has anything to defend herself (the young woman hopefully is smart enough to carry pepper spray, etc...) as concealed guns are next to impossible for the average Cali citizen to obtain (another example is Idaho and Vermont (or is it New Hampsire ) that has some of the lowest crime rates/car-jackings of the whole Nation (and coincidentally, also has very lenient laws on concealed gun permits).

Granted, I used to think like yourself on this matter and believe that the woman did not need a gun. But I also then had the sad example of one of my good friends being robbed by two armed robbers. His family's home was broken into and they were tied up at gun point. His father was shot and left for dead. His mother and sisters were about to lose their lives, but before the robbers could "dispose" of his family, he got the family gun (sadly, his dad was not able to get the opportunity as they got to him while he was still in bed) and proceeded to kill one of the robbers and scare away to other (like all humans, even robbers value their lives and will often flee once it is known that the home owner indeed has a gun and will kill you!). The point? If he had only a knife (or pepper spray) which only works in close proximity, he'd be dead along with his loved ones. Now, had he been Rambo, and well educated in stealth attacks, a knife may have proved effective. However, only a fool brings a knife to a gun fight. Today, his entire family are now pro guns whereas only his father was before. I plan on never allowing my family to be in that situation to begin with. My wife knows how to use a gun (shotguns are best for home defense) as do I. And we both have one.

And yes, it is sad if our area is majorly impacted by violence, but the "bad" people will still get there hands on weapons even with bans...

Bottom Line: A robber has zero business in MY home. How dare the government say otherwise...

Ben (and please check out that book).
    Ron Paul Fan

Awe, come on guys, don't you want the Government to think for you? They know better than us and it will make everything much easier. Time to swallow the Red pill.
    [IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/bushido01s4/mcaskyline.jpg[/IMG]

Ben, I understand why you believing everyone needs a gun, but the problem is they are easily obtainable. A large percentage of gun crime is drug related and with no gun control law everyone can get one with very little trouble including the drugies. It's a vicious circle.

I know your friend's family was saved by having a family gun but if it had have been a lot harder to obtain a gun then chances are the robbers wouldn't have had one, I bet his robbery was drug related.

My brother has been in a similar situation having been robbed at gun point, in facted our shop has been robbed twice at gun point so like your friend we have a greater understanding of the experience.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Interesting topic, especially gun control. Few years ago, my neighbor saw a dude pulling on my garage door to while we were not home. She confronted him and he left. After that, I was deadset on getting a handgun for the home.

But, after reading all of the reports of accidental deaths caused by curious children, I decided to pass. We just had a son and I know how curious I was as a child. My father had a 9mm and when he wasn't home, I decided to take it out and play with it. Luckily, the bullets weren't in it when I pulled the trigger pointing it to the floor to see if there was something in it.

Bottom line: Some kids are stupid and may get into it to play. I couldn't deal with my son killing himself or a friend. Or, I've also read instances where the parents think their child is an intruder and accidentally shot him. Terrible stuff.

Ultimately, I decided to get a crazy home alarm and do keep a lock-blade knife by my bed. If that alarm goes off, then the criminal is going to have one angry and physically capable parent bearing down on his jugular vein so he better aim well and shoot fast. I may catch one or two before I get there, but they better kill me And, it's very hard to hit a moving target under duress.

Plus, my security system is wired directly to my town police dept, so they are here literally within 2 minutes of the alarm.

Not saying this strategy makes more sense, but it gives me piece of mind as a parent. NJ requires guns to be separated from the bullets anyway and in a lockbox, so good luck getting to both, loading and shooting, out of a sound sleep!

To each his own though. I support people's rights to arms in their homes if they can handle the responsibility. I have also been contemplating the use of a stun gun. They are currently illegal in NJ, but I'd rather get a summons, than be dead.

Well thought text you wrote there S6LANA, I like your conclusions and welcome your feeling of responsability.
    Get out and drive

Leadie,

The irony is that drugies rarely use the proper channels to purchase a hand gun. Do you really think they go into a gun shop, show ID and register the weapon they're about to use to commit a crime? They use the "black" market, therefore sidestepping gun control laws. Most criminals are found guilty of having an unregistered weapon... therefore making gun "control" laws completely ridiculous. Gun control laws mostly only affect law abiding citizens.

S6LANA,

Excellent points you make and I applaud your sense of responsibility towards your children. As a father, guns must be locked up and children should never be given the combination (for husband and wife only). As for having time to get out the gun/ load it, etc... store your guns loaded (not illegal as long as they are in a State approved vault) with a touch key combination. It takes seriously @6-8 seconds to have a ready to go weapon in hand. However, as you correctly pointed out, this will not do any good to advert tragedy of a child mistaken for an intruder. Common sense still needs to prevail...

Back on the other topic, unbelievable!!! http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070202/...ervical_cancer :bigeyes:
    Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

gun control? damn, I lived in WV - one of the lowest crime rates in the nation. Reason? You break to someones house and it is almost certain you will die - locals aim to kill, nothing else.

Protect your property and your freedom.

Results? Safe area, no crime. Comon sense gun handling at home, as Ben pointed out and some basic precautions.
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3

Amen brother! ^^^^ Preach on!

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

I really dont need a goverment douche bag telling me how to raise my kids. I was slapped spanked and disciplined as a child, I wasnt abused. But because of some mentally sick people out there that should be shot because they torture and beat kids for no reason but to satisfy their sick demented and twisted minds. Normal and caring parents have to be branded as such because of the mentally ill parent(s) that blame their children for their life.

Gun control, yeah Adolf Hitler liked gun control. Enuff said.
    I will NOT live in a country where I will rely solely on the police to protect my family.
    My father had guns in the house and none of us 3 brothers would touch them play with them without his presence and or control. And we werent some passive relaxed kids, no we were smart asses, trouble making meanies. But we had fear from my parents. I have many guns in my house(not loaded, not all of them) of course all legal and all registered to me, my 13yo daughter knows where they are and knows not to touch them, why because she was taught from when she was younger to respect them and knows they are not toys. She regulary shoots with me at a gun range or on our farm. She also does not have access to the ones that are loaded, why because kids will be kids and I will not take that risk, as kids are different now that my generations were.

The goverment should fear its people and not the other way around, we put them in office and they need to be reminded of that. I respect all those in law enforcement that respect me.

Bajo
    2007 Audi S8 (daytona/black)
    2005 Mercedes G55 (designo graphite)

Quote Originally Posted by BBGT2 View Post

Gun control, yeah Adolf Hitler liked gun control. Enuff said.

Bajo
    Spot on!

As for everything else, amen.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

I can understand the protection of ones rights and properties when it comes to gun control.

You've got to somehow stop guns getting into the hands of psychos.
    Todays massacre in Virginia is a terrible, terrible tragedy that must never happen again.

My thoughts go out to the 30+ families affected.
    I cannot begin to imagine how much this will affect their lives will be from now on.

You've got to somehow stop guns getting into the hands of psychos. Todays massacre in Virginia is a terrible, terrible tragedy that must never happen again.
    i agree it is just sick, but there is nothing we can do about it, the thing is that if a psycho wants a gun he will get it, black market is growing and growing, and not even the authorities have control over it...
    heaven for the climate, hell for company