Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: New BMW M3. Horsepower and Gearbox info!

I have to agree. I by my self couldn't believe how well the S54 (even S50 what I drive in M Coupe) pulls right from the 1000rpm. And still gives you a nice punch at high rpm's. Even the new M5 doesn't feel that good at low rpm.

I also know how great the new RS4 engine is. Unbelievable torque in what ever gear. But to me the S4 V8 isn't that much better in low rpm's than M3. Some times it feels like people just have never driven that car. Then makes there thought by the torque numbers.

I just hope that the new M3 will have enough torque. Car in that weight class doesn't need any 500Nm in 2000rpm. If there is even close to 300 you normally really don't need any more.

skratch,

I only choose these dynos because it is from a very well known tuner in the UK and they weren't biased to either brand as they tune every brand name.

You may not agree with these graphs, but if you look closely you will see that the S4 produces 300Nm of torque from 1500rpm, the M3 only produces that at 2500rpm and it falls away a lot sooner as the revs approach their respective red lines.

It is quite plain to see that the S4 is a much stronger pulling engine and after testing both the M3 E46 and my S4v8 side by side in 4th at 20mph the way the S4 pulls away makes a laugh of the M3. The S4 will pull in 6th from 400rph, try that in your M3.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    It is quite plain to see that the S4 is a much stronger pulling engine and after testing both the M3 E46 and my S4v8 side by side in 4th at 20mph the way the S4 pulls away makes a laugh of the M3. The S4 will pull in 6th from 400rph, try that in your M3.
    I do believe that, but do you really need that? No it's not bad thing for sure. But if engine pulls well from down like the M3 does and give you some really nice race feeling with revving how you think? But there it comes once again: I'm more rwd person than you and I think I'm all the way more "race" person than you...as long I can afford only for one car.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedou View Post
    I do believe that, but do you really need that? No it's not bad thing for sure. But if engine pulls well from down like the M3 does and give you some really nice race feeling with revving how you think? But there it comes once again: I'm more rwd person than you and I think I'm all the way more "race" person than you...as long I can afford only for one car.
    I think it more a case of age, I'm heading towards 40, though in my youth speed was everything I think I raced almost every night. But now I think to use a car's torque to pull me along and when the occasion takes me I will take it to the limit. The tell you the truth I normally drive like these, take off in first, change to fourth and then sixth, it's the beauty of a big torquey engine. I would bet that a S4 would keep up with an M3 on a twisty road and never come out of fourth gear such is the torque of the thing. I can cover ground really fast while keeping the car in sixth gear.

Now on the race track I agree that it would be revs that would float my boat, but it gets back to the same old argument what's best for the road, as for me I think it's a torquey engine with awd. Each to their own, no choice is right or wrong, it's which best suits you.
    Search and you will find the truth.