Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: New BMW M3. Horsepower and Gearbox info!

KK265,

It's all about balance, the Carerra 4S is better balanced than the rwd version. It's a small difference in time in the man's of a professional but this would multiply greatly in the hands of the rest of us, the undeniable advantage that is awd.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by KK265 View Post
    What do you think about this?

http://rapidshare.com/files/19923937...vs_M3.wmv.html
    Is you M3 more stable than this?
    Another interesting thing about this video is that the S4 was the only one to reach the 250km/h limit, the M3 was 6mph slower, in fact it was the slowest in the test. Does this prove that the S4 is a little quicker in acceleration at the upper limits, who knows, maybe PTW play less of a role the higher the speed but as I'm not that clued up on physics as some here so I might be wrong.

Either way it's an interesting thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Another interesting thing about this video is that the S4 was the only one to reach the 250km/h limit, the M3 was 6mph slower, in fact it was the slowest in the test.

Either way it's an interesting thought.
    You know the answer of physics!THIS S4 has better power to weight ratio and the air box of the M3 did not work properly.After 250 km/h opens and the car accelerates like it has nitro.....

Carrera 997 4S is faster 2 sec vs Carrera 2s around nurburgring circuit

http://www.automobile-sportive.com/g...7carrera4s.php
    To me those two are equally fast. 2s at the ring is nothing. I mean even it is the same driver you really can't say which one is faster. But I'm not saying that the 4S couldn't be the faster one of those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedou View Post
    To me those two are equally fast. 2s at the ring is nothing. I mean even it is the same driver you really can't say which one is faster. But I'm not saying that the 4S couldn't be the faster one of those two.
    Agreed but your forgetting that this is in the hands of a professional, not you or me. The 4S in our hands I bet would be a full ten seconds quicker at the very least and this is in no way saying the rwd Carerra is slow, far be it. It's just the 4S has better balance and a more controllable tail.

But back to the BMW M3, it will be a very potent trackday tool and one of the most entertaining. If you want slides a plenty it is quite possibly the best car available, but there is a better everyday car with this performance which are more controllable on the road and that's the RS4, so for me it's not only it's looks that won't appeal to me.

I agree totally.I send it to answer to theory of M%M that power to weight ratio is everything on earth!!! The same will happen with new M3.

I agree totally.I send it to answer to theory of M%M that power to weight ratio is everything on earth!!! The same will happen with new M3.
    KK265,

With equal power the new M3 will out gun the RS4, but as we know the S4 out classed the last M3 with equal power, so will the RS4 out class the new one.

Not to stir-up an old argument and this is not the intention, posted else where is an interesting point, the hardest accelerating car in the world is one Bugatti Veyron, but it isn't the highest in the PTW stakes, that crown goes to the CXX which isn't even the third fastest accelerating car. There must be more to it than meets the eye.

Back to the up and coming fight between the M3 and RS4, my guts tells me the M3 in almost every road test will get the better of the RS4. BMW are going all out to make this it's best ever, what I take out of that is their belief that the new A5 is a much better car than any Audi before it and this has forced their hand to build to M3 the best they know how in the hope that it will be good enough to with stand the next string of hot Audi waiting in the wings. I do believe at present it will be the best BMW on sale but I reckon when it is tested along side the S5 the test will produce a similar result as most of the S6 vs M5 tests with another victory going to Audi for the better overall car regardless of out right performance.

again leadfoot?oh my god your posts are so coolyes of course audi builts way more powerfull and performant cars than BMW and the design of audi cars...no comment...i never ever saw an ugly audi...it just doesn't exist!!!
    on the other hand i can bett with you that M3 will not beat RS4 even in a straight line so we don't have any suspision about the new M3 performance cause it can't be better than an RS4 and then i must be disagreed with you about the S6 cause i know it's better than M5 but you can not compare to it...S6 is against 550i and RS6 is against M5 likwise the new S5 coupe is against 335i not agaisnt new M3..we all just wait to see the new RS5, RS6, TT RS to beat the crap again and again and again BMW cars....hmmm sounds good?yes indeed:d
    And i would like to say that S6 brakes are the biggest and best brakes in the world for an 4 door saloon...and are not even the optional carbon ceramic braking system...thefore why the hack bmw wants to demonstrate to audi that they are better when they are not at all?!!!!!stupid people are builting bmw's...smart people are building audi's!!!

Agreed but your forgetting that this is in the hands of a professional, not you or me. The 4S in our hands I bet would be a full ten seconds quicker at the very least and this is in no way saying the rwd Carerra is slow, far be it. It's just the 4S has better balance and a more controllable tail.
    All you said is true. Then it is just about the taste. I could be faster in 4S but my choise would still be the S. Just for the fun Of course what is fun is all the way different thing. Luckily we don't have to fight about it

All you said is true. Then it is just about the taste. I could be faster in 4S but my choise would still be the S. Just for the fun Of course what is fun is all the way different thing. Luckily we don't have to fight about it
    Exactly, this has always been my argument when choosing Audi over BMW or what ever, I prefer the security and control/balance of awd where as your good self prefers the more playful fun that is to be had from either the BMW or rwd Porsche, it is not really one is right and the other wrong, it's personal choice.

If I was at the track once a week, then I to would be choosing a rwd car as it's more entertaining with the extra safety that run-off areas provided by a track. But on the road where your family, other road users and yourself are most important then awd is the most logical choice.

I found the video provide by KK265 enlightening for those here who don't quite understand the benefit that awd cars provide for normal drivers over rwd cars and though in the right hands the BMW's 50/50 weight balance work to their advantage in controlling the car it is a disadvantage in that the car is more lively than even the more powerful C55 that has a little more weight over the nose and was able to corner and go through the cones quicker.

But agreed, no need to argument that has gladly been left to the last post with M&M and here's hoping those days of madness are long gone.

but as we know the S4 out classed the last M3 with equal power
    Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by that?

Quote Originally Posted by M&M View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by that?
    What I was meaning is the old M3 with it's 343hp was put up against the S4 with 344hp in lots of tests and in some the M3 won and in others the S4 won. As the RS4 and new M3 are level pegging on power the tables have moved from the S4 being it's rival to the RS4 and like before where the S4 had the better of the M3 one might assume that in quite a few tests the results will be the same, where the RS4 is the better overall car.

This is not about out-right acceleration or performance just which is the better overall car to own which at the end of the day is the most important thing as these things have to be lived with for more than a few days.

I know these are early days talking about thing that haven't even happened, the M3 won't be released for several months yet and the first real tests against rivals there after, but I do feel this is a much better M3 than ever before and this is down in no small part to the achievement Audi have had with the RS4 and what is expected with the A/S5. At present Audi are on a roll and BMW need a result like never before, the Z4M Coupe hasn't been praised, the M6 is over-priced and not selling, the M5 has lost to an Audi with a lot less power (S6), they need a winner to stay at the top.

Best daily car (as in all year): RS4
    Weekend car: M3

more playful fun that is to be had from either the BMW or rwd Porsche, it is not really one is right and the other wrong, it's personal choice.
    OH MY GOD! WHAT THE HACK ARE YOU SAYING?!??!???11 RWD IS CRAP - ONLY AWD IS SUPREME. BMW SUCKS!!!111 OF COURSE ITS WRONG FOR RWD CRAP - NO GRIP AND GRIP IS POWER AND POWER IS SUPREME HANDLING ON TRACKS AND ON ROADS SO AWD IS THE BEST ULTIMATE SUPER DUPER EXTRA TROOPER MEGA DANCING MACHINE!!!
    2007 RS4 Avant | Misano | Black Optics | SS+
    2001 S3 | Ebony

I do not care if this thing have a 1000 hp
    If it looks like this when it comes, I a will never ever want to be in it.

Now this is how it should look like

and look at those seats :cool2:

I reast my case.

Damn wish I had white leather now. Amazing.
    2001 S3 | Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Mori View Post
    Best daily car (as in all year): RS4
    Weekend car: M3

OH MY GOD! WHAT THE HACK ARE YOU SAYING?!??!???11 RWD IS CRAP - ONLY AWD IS SUPREME. BMW SUCKS!!!111 OF COURSE ITS WRONG FOR RWD CRAP - NO GRIP AND GRIP IS POWER AND POWER IS SUPREME HANDLING ON TRACKS AND ON ROADS SO AWD IS THE BEST ULTIMATE SUPER DUPER EXTRA TROOPER MEGA DANCING MACHINE!!!
    Mori,

Are you under the influence of SuperstarDriver.

This message was too short.
    2001 S3 | Ebony

I must say that these pictures of the M3 interior and the RS4 interior truely show the almightly gap in quality between the two brands, shocking.