Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New BMW M3. Horsepower and Gearbox info!

I thought RS4 will win at the end speed sth like 160 onwards because it has higher numbers of 4200cc compare to 3000 sth

Quattro takes a lot of power so in terms of wheel HP the BMW will win hands down.
    2007 RS4 Avant | Misano | Black Optics | SS+
    2001 S3 | Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Toto89 View Post
    Yes, maybe the really stunning thing would be a car form one side (Audi or BMW) which beat it's opponent and also beat it's opponent's successor.It could sound impossible but it could be possible, I think the main thing is that nobody wants to build a supercar for 5-6 years, it is enough for them to be the best till a year or two and then they can do business on a new model.
    If Audi would decide to build a RS6 to beat the M5's successor it'd need at least 650hp.They could get the victory and glory, but probably wouldn't get as much money as now with making supercars one after the other (I mean RS6-RS4-R8).It seems as the RS4 would be the successor of RS6, the R8 successor of the RS4 in the fight against BMW. Maybe making a RS4, a RS6 and an R8 model in every 5 years would be too expensive and it is better for them to build on after the other.
    How about the E46 M3 which beat the B5, b6, b7 s4's? And the CSL still is a superior track car to the RS4. How much more impressive can it get?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperstarDriver View Post
    i'm not sure fi the new M3 will be faster then the new RS4 because i read auto motor and sport magazine in my country which says that the new M3 will have 420Hp exactly like the RS4 with SMG and will have 5sec 0-100km/h because they do not want to enter in the M5 territory!Would you imagine what would happen if M3 will be faster then the actual M5?M5 will be lost and will not sell at all...and always AMS are right when they tell something, in fact they say not 5sec but a little bit after 5sec...so M3 will actually not be fastest then the RS4!Be happy guys...BMW could not beat Audi RS cars...never
    Huh? 5.0 seconds, ya that makes sense. They are going to make it slower than the E46 M3 and the E39 M5.

It is going to be quick, very quick. It will be faster than the RS4 and everything else Audi currently has to offer, including the R8.

Whatever the HP rating might be, 400-450, it will have more power going to the wheels thanks to RWD and very close gearing with a 7 speed SMG. The only car that has the power to compete from a performance perspective in this class will be the C63 AMG, and I doubt it will come close around a track.

BMW can never beat RS, never ever, quattro rules me.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Huh? 5.0 seconds, ya that makes sense. They are going to make it slower than the E46 M3 and the E39 M5.

It is going to be quick, very quick. It will be faster than the RS4 and everything else Audi currently has to offer, including the R8.

Whatever the HP rating might be, 400-450, it will have more power going to the wheels thanks to RWD and very close gearing with a 7 speed SMG. The only car that has the power to compete from a performance perspective in this class will be the C63 AMG, and I doubt it will come close around a track.

BMW can never beat RS, never ever, quattro rules me.
    I also reckon the M3 will beat the 5 second barrier and will beat the RS4 to 150mph if not 100mph. But I'm unsure if is will beat the time set by the RS4 around the ring, even if it does we all know it will be short lived as when the RS5 appears it won't be the 5 second barrier it will be beating but the 8 minute barrier.
    Search and you will find the truth.

You are comparing M3 to R8? Are you really thinking M3 is better here?

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    I also reckon the M3 will beat the 5 second barrier and will beat the RS4 to 150mph if not 100mph. But I'm unsure if is will beat the time set by the RS4 around the ring, even if it does we all know it will be short lived as when the RS5 appears it won't be the 5 second barrier it will be beating but the 8 minute barrier.
    Why not? CSL did it... weight matters here.

Quote Originally Posted by rqiu View Post
    You are comparing M3 to R8? Are you really thinking M3 is better here?
    Overall? Of course not, but comparisons will happen due to the similarities in the power plants. Both high revving NA v8's, comparisons will be drawn.

Same thing happens between the gallardo and the M5 / M6.

Overall? Of course not, but comparisons will happen due to the similarities in the power plants. Both high revving NA v8's, comparisons will be drawn.

Same thing happens between the gallardo and the M5 / M6.
    I believe the only reason there was comparisons between the M5/6 and the Gallardo was the limited amount of V10 engined cars to compare with, in fact it was the only one apart from the Carrera GT so there you go, that's your reason.

Not doubt the M6 will be compared with the R8 if only because of the price bracket, but being compared to the M3 somehow I doubt it. The M3 will be compared with the RS4 and some mags will throw in a 997 just to see if it has moved the game on from the old one. If the S5 is released at the launch of the A5 and has to expected 380~400hp we hope, then it will be the main rival and the one most mags will be testing, more so than the RS4.

Up until the news of the new Quattro system, I reckoned that the RS5 would be still a little quicker than the M3 as the old RS4 was over the old M3 but now I think the difference will be vast. I reckon the drawings are already drew for a new CSL and for BMW it will have to be very good.

The CSL is just a mith!!!
    Take a normal M3, put some serious rubber, change the camber, canting and suspension settings to optimise it for the ring and there you go... before you serve it add some marketing and you get your "super M3"

Similar words were used by the engeneer that developed and tested the car on the Nordschleife...

So let's take an RS4, ad ome semi slick rubber, adjust the settings to make it more extreme and there you go!!! (or just get the Superstar version from Audisport... that will do as well)

The CSL is not so special... is just another trackday car. And for a trackday car is qite slow!!!

the actual RS4 will be faster on the circuit than the new M3 with the same generation as RS4 because of his 4WD system complete high rev engine and extreme handlling of the DRC system we all know and we all mostly drived the RS4 and we think could even beat new M3 after 2 year of market sales...don't expect M3 to be faster than the M5 cause will not be and if someone didn't wake up by now RS4 beat the crap M5 on a regular circuit(i do not mention Nurbugring cause i will emabarase BMW)...even though if M3 will not have a 4 door M3 and only coupe and convertible it will not enter on RS4 range cause that's the way S5 and RS5 will challenge it...i think Audi definetely will have more than 420HP on RS5 and about 360-390HP on S5 because valvelift technology will enter on every single engine in the production of future audi engines!So guys do not cry for help cause we don't need help...and RWD car will not beat an 4WD car...never ever...especially and Audi Quattro!And therefore i should say that even though we expect the new RS4 in 2009 with 480HP like i heard so...M3 shut the f...k up!!!!

SuperstarDriver,

You crack me up.

I did not find the RS 4 particularly fast on circuit and I had the impression that the slight understeer it has is penalising the fast corners very mch. Tyres are warming up fast and overheating if you push the car to its limit. Even with this marginal drawbacks I agree with Superstar BMW is a mith of the past. Audi cracked it and I'm sure it will not be easy to get them off the top spot! As said on my previous message Put the right rubber on and set it up correctly ant there will be no CSL that can follow you!

Quote Originally Posted by MR USER View Post
    I did not find the RS 4 particularly fast on circuit and I had the impression that the slight understeer it has is penalising the fast corners very mch. Tyres are warming up fast and overheating if you push the car to its limit. Even with this marginal drawbacks I agree with Superstar BMW is a mith of the past. Audi cracked it and I'm sure it will not be easy to get them off the top spot! As said on my previous message Put the right rubber on and set it up correctly ant there will be no CSL that can follow you!
    I think 7:53RS6 and sticky will have something to say about that.

so what did i tell you?likewise in my stupid country BMW is a myth, just that....from the day when S4 has arrived to the market BMW stopped to be the most powerfull brand in the world in the sportivity range...i do not count today cause we all know what is capable Audi off...RS4 the new RS5 and of course the mighty RS6!!!

well, the M3 has 7 speed gearbox but do u guys think that the ratio is too close? the power will be not that big at each gears cos have to change gears so often and then the reving curve is so little.

The csl is more than just better tires.It has better brakes,track tuned suspention,21 more hp and 300 lbs lighter than the regular M3.

weight is the biggest factor on why its so fast around the ring.You can only go so fast around a corner and the csl shows that very well.Its loses time on the straight aways because it dosnt have that much power up top,but makes its time when hitting the corners.

the rumor is BMW is not happy with the power with the new M and has been pushing further for the past 2 years.They first wanted 400hp but now every car out there will have that and the new lexus is-f is a HUGE competitor with its 8 speed and the new nissan GTR with 450 hp

The M3 has always been the benchmark for every car maker to follow and now things have changed.There are alot of cars that will beat it.The caddy cts-v beats the e46 M3 around the ring now,I'm sure BMW dosnt like that.

Rumor is that there are tuning the M3 to go up against the austin and 997 with a 440hp power plant

and you wont see a new M3 on the streets untill late 08

the engine is going to be a maxed out M5 engine with 2 cylinders chopped off giving it a 4.0 V8

going by what BMW can do /l they made 113/l with the csl.lets say they want to max out the 4.0 baby M5 engine,that gives it 452hp out of 4 liters and to be safe 440hp sounds right if the rumors are correct.110/liter is something BMW can very well make.

Don't forget that BMW puts out M cars every 4-5 years and waits a year or 2 inbetween for them to come out after the new style regular 3 series.So BMW has to think ahead because by the time the new M3 hits the streets all the other players will be on there next flagships

my 2 cents

I little reading from the past...take a look at what was writen about spy shots almost 3 years ago(4 days to be exactly 3 year)

BMW had the car on the ring and was planing on putting it out and guess what? its 2007 and it hasnt even had any press from BMW yet.This just proves that the car went threw a different power goal.Its been 3 years and no info yet or no car show or anything

Next Generation BMW M3
    by Przemek Lis, Contributing Editor
    Photo credits: Hussein Al-attar
    edited 02-28-2005

In 2006 BMW will kick it up a notch in the sports coupe market with the much anticipated next generation E90 M3. Both Coupe and Cabriolet models are planned with a new addition of a 4 door sedan not seen since the E36 platform.
    The initial idea considered was a 4 door M3 saloon and a 2 door M4 coupe. But recently BMW has changed their minds and keep the legendary M3 coupe alive. Internal pressure from the BMW board was too great to kill it off. Therefore, the M3 coupe, M3 saloon and an M3 cabriolet in addition to an M4 coupe and a M4 cabriolet will be developed. Did you get all that?

The M3 coupe will feature a 6 Series like glasshouse with the possibility of a new distinct interior. The front will sport a new aggressive yet subtle bumper while the rear will display quad exhausts like the new M5. Power will come from a new lightweight V8 producing around 400hp and uses the latest dual-VANOS variable valve timing system. New engine building technology and lightweight materials mean the engine should amazingly weigh the same as the outgoing 3.2 liter in-line 6 cylinder from the current E46 M3 but with considerably more power.

The new M3 is slated to arrive in early 2006 with a 2005 Frankfurt debut and the cabriolet will have a Geneva 2006 debut with sales beginning in summer 2006. The SMG transmission will come standard and a CSL version of the coupe with excess of 420hp is being planned as well.

During early testing of the cabriolet version of the 4 series BMW experimented with both a normal canvas roof and a hard folding top but decided on the canvas due to weight savings and maintenance. The M4 Coupe and M4 Cabriolet will also feature the M3 V8 engine and should go on sale later. No further details are known. A concept for the regular 4 Series is slated for Frankfurt in September.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphoto...01/country/gcf