Thread: Checking oil level

Checking oil level

Weird situation.

I pull out the oil stick after the car standing in the garage all night - there is a lot of oil on the bottom plastic marker-thingy on ths stick (looks like it flowed down the stick while taking it out), and about a quarter of the metal part between the plastic markers is covered in oil.

Now - when I check the oil when the engine is still warm - eg. 3-5 mins after switching it off, I get slightly more than half of the stick (in between markers) covered in a very thin film of oil.

Of course I dry the oil stick before pulling it out to check.

Never had this in any previous car - the oil kinda just stuck to the stick normally.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    I'm not sure which oil reading I should actually use - what do you guys think?
    2007 RS4 Avant | Misano | Black Optics | SS+
    2001 S3 | Ebony

Most people say to check it while it's warm after @ 5 Minutes of sitting. I think that's B.S.. I let my car sit overnight. I believe you get a true reading from the oil pan after everything that can settles into the bottom. After that I check and make sure that the level covers the entire metal section between the two plastic sections at the bottom of the dipstick. Do not fill it above the metal section and you should be just fine sir. Check the oil @ every 600 miles or 1000 kms. Happy motoring!
    [IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/bushido01s4/mcaskyline.jpg[/IMG]

4500 km or so on it and I've added close to 3 litres of oil already. I check it every 400-500 km and before every longer journey.
    2001 S3 | Ebony

That seems a bit high. I have @ 3,400 miles on mine. I have only used 1 Quart. I check my oil @ every 600 miles and before long trips too. That's a very good idea. I also always take a quart of oil with me on the trip.

In defence of the car - 4000 of those km are away from cities etc. Usually lots of overtaking etc. so I do get into the power band often.
    2001 S3 | Ebony

I had to keep on filling it up for the first 15k km, 10 liters of oil in total!!!
    I drove hard and mainly motorway.
    My car has now 24k km and the oil and fuel consumption is much lower!

Just give it the time to brake in!

After the the 1,500 mile mark the oil consumption dropped dramatically for me. Almost nothing in the last 2,000 miles. I'm not shy with pedal either. I followed the break-in procedure to the letter as well.