Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: R8 competition heats up.

R8 competition heats up.

for 2009 MY- it will be a year of V10 monsters.

the NSX

the LF-A

and the V6 or V8 GTR

the R8 will be surely up to the task and the reason why audi is in no hurry to show it just yet............ with 500 hp and the overachieving personality to add (the V8 model circles the ring in just a tad less then the 997 TT from various confidential accounts)..... audi will not fall behind.

exciting times indeed.

despite the added heft i am sure the V10 will feel as light and tight as the V8. now a modded V8............... mmmmmmmmmmmmh :MTM:
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Now let me see, buy a great European built car or a rice rocket - NO BRAINER

Those japanese Hi-Per cars will sure be one hell of a competition, specially if Nissan and Honda launch a GTR and a NSX that can live up to it's predecesors.
    As for the R8...perhaps Audi should launch a TTV8 version with 500hp-530hp, after all the Le Mans R8 had a TTV8 if my memory doesn't fail on me.

Cheers,

Javier

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    for 2009 MY- it will be a year of V10 monsters.

the NSX

the LF-A

and the V6 or V8 GTR

the R8 will be surely up to the task and the reason why audi is in no hurry to show it just yet............ with 500 hp and the overachieving personality to add (the V8 model circles the ring in just a tad less then the 997 TT from various confidential accounts)..... audi will not fall behind.

exciting times indeed.

despite the added heft i am sure the V10 will feel as light and tight as the V8. now a modded V8............... mmmmmmmmmmmmh :MTM:

Funny thing is that I have no fear that the Audi R8 will dominate the above competition. From all the previews/unofficial lap times/etc. the audi R8(V8) surpassed what it was meant to do in the first place.

I can only imagine that If Audi can place a V10 in there, (that somehow weighs only a little more than the V8) and match that to a slick-shifting, reliable 6-speed manual............there will be no competition.

further

Quote Originally Posted by Damienr8 View Post
    Funny thing is that I have no fear that the Audi R8 will dominate the above competition. From all the previews/unofficial lap times/etc. the audi R8(V8) surpassed what it was meant to do in the first place.

I can only imagine that If Audi can place a V10 in there, (that somehow weighs only a little more than the V8) and match that to a slick-shifting, reliable 6-speed manual............there will be no competition.
    if the gods are on our side and a dsg debuts with the V10 god help all of the above AND the F430 and the "re"-updated gallardo ( )
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

i think that the new NSX will be a monster, they now how to make slick manual transmission, they can make an engine rev very very high (wondering where the redline will be on the v10) and the old NSX handles beautifuly, this will be a taugh competition, the GTR is aimed at different buyers, just my opinion...
    heaven for the climate, hell for company

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    if the gods are on our side and a dsg debuts with the V10 god help all of the above AND the F430 and the "re"-updated gallardo ( )
    Yea im thinking that they will be fitting the DSG with the R8. But if for some reason they can engineer a 6-speed manny with a high revving V10, that would be nice. And yea, ferrari watch out. like you said updated gallardo :eye:

The R8 will rule all of the above because of the quality of the Brand. Audi is moving ahead of BMW as Europe's top main-stream sportscar manufacturer and with the R8 will be battling Porsche and Ferrari for the top spot. Honda's last NSX was amazing for two reasons, it's ability and it's lack of sales, the Lexus will be amazing with it's total lack of understand what makes a great sportscar, it will no doubt be very refined with no soul.

The one to watch will be the GTR, it's will tick all of the boxes, looks, feel, entertainment, grip, power and acceleration, the only one that might be out of it's reach is a really good top speed, it's shape just doesn't look that aerodynamic. But who cares when the rest will be so good. Even if it does beat the R8 in a roadtest it will be the Audi that will capture your hearts.
    Search and you will find the truth.

If you want a Japper thats fine, but to me it would be a cold day in hell before I own a japper over an Audi.

Just my two cents worth.

Ned

"the Lexus will be amazing with it's total lack of understand what makes a great sportscar, it will no doubt be very refined with no soul."

LOL nice one Leadfoot!

I have no idea why everyone is already proclaiming an R8 victory. The R8 is always going to be below the gallardo. The gallardo is slightly slower than the 911 turbo with the v10 so why would the r8 close that gap with it? I don't see any reason for the v10 r8 to be any faster than the gallardo, DSG being the main advantage the R8 could have.

Yea im thinking that they will be fitting the DSG with the R8. But if for some reason they can engineer a 6-speed manny with a high revving V10, that would be nice. And yea, ferrari watch out. like you said updated gallardo :eye:
    What exactly does ferrari have to fear? Lambo needs to launch a more powerful gallardo to catch up to the current 430 and by that time ferrari will launch a challenge stradale version of the 430 that will again put them well ahead of the gallardo in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    The R8 will rule all of the above because of the quality of the Brand. Audi is moving ahead of BMW as Europe's top main-stream sportscar manufacturer and with the R8 will be battling Porsche and Ferrari for the top spot. Honda's last NSX was amazing for two reasons, it's ability and it's lack of sales, the Lexus will be amazing with it's total lack of understand what makes a great sportscar, it will no doubt be very refined with no soul.

The one to watch will be the GTR, it's will tick all of the boxes, looks, feel, entertainment, grip, power and acceleration, the only one that might be out of it's reach is a really good top speed, it's shape just doesn't look that aerodynamic. But who cares when the rest will be so good. Even if it does beat the R8 in a roadtest it will be the Audi that will capture your hearts.
    Uh, one step at a time, the car isn't even here yet. And another thing, one limited production car doesn't make you the top manufacturer. Audi has a long way to go to catch BMW. The S6 barely matches up with a 550i. The 335i is spanking S4's. The new M3 is coming to lay the smack down on the RS4. Not to mention that BMW's will always be the purer driving car with RWD, less weight, and having weight in the right spot to begin with. You are getting way ahead of yourself, and supposedly BMW is at work on a mid engine car using a 5.5 liter of the M5 V10 which is the best V10 out (short of carrera GT.)

The R8 is the first audi to not have all it's damn weight in the front.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    What exactly does ferrari have to fear? Lambo needs to launch a more powerful gallardo to catch up to the current 430 and by that time ferrari will launch a challenge stradale version of the 430 that will again put them well ahead of the gallardo in performance.
    Im just making a prediction, relax dude. Who knows, maybe the updated gallardo might gain some horse and shed some weight. At least that is what i am hoping for.

Im just making a prediction, relax dude. Who knows, maybe the updated gallardo might gain some horse and shed some weight. At least that is what i am hoping for.
    I'm not sure how my tone came across but I wasn't trying to jump all over you or anything. I was just bringing the thread back into reality.

Uh, one step at a time, the car isn't even here yet. And another thing, one limited production car doesn't make you the top manufacturer. Audi has a long way to go to catch BMW. The S6 barely matches up with a 550i. The 335i is spanking S4's. The new M3 is coming to lay the smack down on the RS4. Not to mention that BMW's will always be the purer driving car with RWD, less weight, and having weight in the right spot to begin with. You are getting way ahead of yourself, and supposedly BMW is at work on a mid engine car using a 5.5 liter of the M5 V10 which is the best V10 out (short of carrera GT.)

That info may be true, but BMWs have always been a bandwagon brand to me where as Audi has that extra touch. I rather pull up in a MTM modded RS4 than a 2008 M3 anyday. (downsyndrome looking tail lamps, lol...)

Oh, please. The S6 as already won in two tests against the M5 never mind the 550i in Germany, ok it might not be as quick but if that's your only agrument then give up. The 335i against the S4 that will be interesting but it has beat the old M3 so if the 335i has the better of the S4 then too the M3. We will have to see if the new one can lay the smack down on the RS4 as you put it, but that will be short lived as the S5 will be out soon.

To say the rwd is the purer driving experience, in what sport? Anytime awd has entered a form of motorsport it has destroyed the competition and been banned, that is apart from rallying which, oh yes is done on roads & forests. Your being suckered into BMW ads if you think 50/50 weight is the holy grail of what makes the pure driving experience, just ask Porsche about that.
    Search and you will find the truth.

The current Gallardo gives a good fight to the F430 and is by no means out gunned enough to say it is an easy victory to the Fezza, and the uprated Lambo will no doubt move the game on further. As for a riposte to the Challenge Stradale, there has long been talk of an SV version of the Gallardo, and i'm sure that this would more than take the fight to the F430CS with less weight, more power and RWD. Just my two cents.

Taz
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
    B6 Audi A4 3.0 Sport Quattro Convertible - Volcano Black
    B5 Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE Saloon - Hibiscus Red
    Seat Leon 1.6 SE - Bilberry Red
    Porsche 996 Carrera - Arctic Silver