Thread: News + pics : Lexus IS-F

News + pics : Lexus IS-F

Lexus today unveiled the IS-F luxury sedan at the 2007 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The all-new 2008 IS-F will target the BMW M3 and Audi RS4, delivering more than 400 horsepower and 350 ft.-lbs. of torque from a 5.0-liter V8 engine. It will eventually be offered as a two-door coupe, as well.

Much of the development of the new IS-F took place at Fuji Speedway and the Higashi-Fuji Technical Center in Japan. The IS-F is based on the rear-wheel-drive Lexus IS, which is equipped with a double-wishbone front and multi-link rear suspension. The IS-F engine is mated to the world’s first eight-speed "direct sport-shift" transmission. A new torque-converter lock-up control was developed that allows for a direct, crisp gear change through the constant lock-up of the torque converter in second through eighth gears.

In Drive mode, the IS-F transmission performs smoothly, and the torque converter allows for quick 0-60 acceleration in less than 4.9 seconds. The transmission also features a manual mode operated via a pair of paddles. Downshifts are accompanied by automated throttle blips to match engine RPM to vehicle speed. Heavy-duty Brembo brakes with 14.2-inch discs and six-piston calipers ensure all the power is kept under control. The IS-F features custom-designed 19-inch forged alloy wheels as standard.

RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Looks like a mix between a Hyundai Coupé and a BMW 3-series. Or a soap bar. Not my favorite!

Urgh. Thats not pretty. What is going on with the bonnet? If the engine don'e fit...don't force it!

Only nice design feature are the stacked rear exhausts IMO

Taz
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
    B6 Audi A4 3.0 Sport Quattro Convertible - Volcano Black
    B5 Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE Saloon - Hibiscus Red
    Seat Leon 1.6 SE - Bilberry Red
    Porsche 996 Carrera - Arctic Silver

IMHO, way to much agresive, ''fast and fourious'', ''street racing'' looks for that segment...

I don't like it, RS 4, M3 C 55 AMG and future C 63 AMG are much more what I imagine as a good car in all aspects, but, as allways, I am probably going to be minority....

Looks like the car I shot at Nürburgring a few years back.

RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    IMHO, way to much agresive, ''fast and fourious'', ''street racing'' looks for that segment...

I don't like it, RS 4, M3 C 55 AMG and future C 63 AMG are much more what I imagine as a good car in all aspects, but, as allways, I am probably going to be minority....

No, you're not. I also think it looks too "Fast & Furious". Very disappointed in the front end... but I'll reserve judgement till there is an actuall shootout.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

ugh, looks like a poo sandwich

bits of a bangle car added for "style" and the interior looks cheap cheap cheap

give this car a flat bonet, paint it black, and look at it again, i beleive it will look really nice, Lexus is trying to atract younger buyers by using this design.
    heaven for the climate, hell for company

Just as 3abdo said this is not meant for the normal euro performance sedan market. The design is more appealing to those who want a refined "ricer" and IMO the comparison between this and the M3, C55 AMG, and RS 4 is based on performance and size, NOT the prospective buyers it is marketed to.

BTW did anyone see an estimated price at all?

The steering wheel looks right out of a standard A3 or A4. I guess that is a good sign that Lexus is looking at the right marquees for inspiration.
    "Four Rings to Rule Them All - Audi"

After seeing the picture of it at the ring testing that Erik posted, I am under the impression that they should have went down the bonnet bulge route instead of raising to whole bonnet that just looks so out of place.

But their is more things going on with the design that is wrong, the side slots that combine the sills look aftermarket, not the sort of thing you expect on a £40K quality product. I have no doubt it will be a very good effort from Lexus as the standard car with the exception of too soft a suspension set-up drives really well.

I don't personally like the stacked exhaust but that more because I haven't see it done before and it looks unusual but over time it may grow on me, jury is out at the moment.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by tazsura View Post
    What is going on with the bonnet? If the engine don'e fit...don't force it!
    That is the new safety regulation working.
    There must be a certain room between engine and bonnet for pedestrians safety.
    To fit a big V8 engine under the bonnet and comply to the safety regulations there is no other way to do it.

Hans.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    To fit a big V8 engine under the bonnet and comply to the safety regulations there is no other way to do it.

Hans.
    Is this so people get bashed in the pelvis instead of getting their legs taken out?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post

Hans.
    Hans, what I meant was that Lexus maybe should have looked at other options in their design rather than that massive bump on the bonnets end. I was thinking they could have followed Mercedes' lead as they did with the C55 and elongate the front wings and bonnet. This made for a much sleeker looking C-class and may have done so for the IS to.

I'll stick with the RS4 though!

Taz
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
    B6 Audi A4 3.0 Sport Quattro Convertible - Volcano Black
    B5 Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE Saloon - Hibiscus Red
    Seat Leon 1.6 SE - Bilberry Red
    Porsche 996 Carrera - Arctic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by tazsura View Post
    I'll stick with the RS4 though! Taz
    Yes good choise.
    I'm looking forward to the 2009 RS4 B8.
    Rumour say it will be the first Audi with a 4.2 litre V8 FSI Valve-lift Engine with 450+ hp.

Hans.