Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phaeton coupe... hit or skip?

Phaeton coupe... hit or skip?

If they built one. could it sell? A Benrley GT rebadged, and with some reduction in quality or content, to be sold as a Phaeton coupe.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Fred

2004 VW Phaeton V8 Luna Blue
    1982 DeLorean V6 Stainless Steel

Phaeton coupe OK, but not in the shape that you made it...

No offense, GREAT IDEA !

Show me one! What do you have in mind??
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Paldi View Post
    Show me one! What do you have in mind??

My capabylitis in operating Photoshop are ZERO !

In, words, I would like it be more like CL Merc', previous generation...

The badge just would not carry it.

I do worry for VW with all their grandiose plans to introduce an new 4 door coupe/saloon- merc cls competitor - aswell as all the faux offroaders based on just about every model in the range. Talk about finding a niche in a niche market.
    Volkswagen dont have the image to pull off expensive cars (no matter how good they are). I would be interested to see how many Passat R36 they sell, no matter how good it would be to drive.

Passat W8 anybody ?
    Phaeton W12 anybody ?

No ... Didn't think so..

Don't be so hursh, time is needed to enter prestige segment...

If they comit enough money and time, they will pull it off...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    Don't be so hursh, time is needed to enter prestige segment...

If they comit enough money and time, they will pull it off...
    Agree on the time part of your statement - look at how far Audi has come in the last 10/11 years.

Its the 'throwing enough money' part I'm not so keen on.

Volkswagen can get a bit carried away with the notion that more expensive cars make more money per unit - they don't if you dont sell enough of them.

Its a bit like spending £2500 on a Casio Watch, - it does the same thing as a Tag Heuer - but you just wouldn't.

The group already has Audi for these types of car. Also Bentley - if your really well heeled.

I just think Volkswagen should spend a bit more time/money on other projects. With SEAT, for example - give them something exciting - that brand is going to die if they don't!! (I know SEAT is an Audi brand, but the money all comes from the same pot).
    Even the latest Leon Cupra R is not considered to be much better car than the old one - this comes from a friend who owns the old model (225), and has driven the new one (he works for a SEAT retailer) and prefers his current one
    This has also been echoed in a recent magazine road test.

The current Polo is one of the most dire cars to drive, bland and absolutely no fun/character whatsoever. Even the Polo GTi feels like its at least a generation too old.

These are the sort of things (IMO) VW needs to concentrate spending its money on. They obviously have some very talented engineers working for the company- they're just working on the wrong projects.

I love my Phaeton. Now to make it perfect move the front wheels out 3" towards the radiator and lengthen the trunk 3" and your done. I also like a low mounted chrome spear.

stock
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Lateknight View Post
    Agree on the time part of your statement - look at how far Audi has come in the last 10/11 years....

You are wright, but times in VAG aren't ''most clourfull'' at the moment, if they get grp back, things will cange...

As far as Polo i conserd, I can agree, but don't forget that curent Polo is on the market since 2001, and that is lots of time, new one, in 2007/8 will be much better, at least those are rumors. You can take a look at new Skoda Fabia, they gona share the platform...

http://www.skoda.de/index.php?e=1-29-1

Wehn we talk about SEAT Leon Cupra, i have to tell you that everybody ho I know is in LOVE with car. Looks is FANTASTIC, and mechanics are, IMHO, not to be discused, it's Golf V GTI platform, and that is one of the best cars on the market! Plus, it has 40 hps more (240).

All best, Andy !

The badge just would not carry it.

Passat W8 anybody ?
    Phaeton W12 anybody ?

No ... Didn't think so..
    Amen.

Sorry Paldi, you are one, of probably only four people in the entire USA that wants to see this thing made. How many people bought 4 door Phaetons here? How many would buy an even more expensive coupe? You and your three current fellow Phaeton owners. If VW builds this, they'd only prove their resource wastefullness. Phaetons sat on VW showrooms for so long that they discontinued them. A coupe would suffer the same fate...

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Paldi View Post
    I love my Phaeton. Now to make it perfect move the front wheels out 3" towards the radiator and lengthen the trunk 3" and your done. I also like a low mounted chrome spear.

stock
    Is this for asthetics, or do you just need a bigger trunk ?

It would compete better with the Merc if it was slightly bigger back there, especially if you have the optional refrigerator installed. I really like the lines...

Moving the front wheels 3" forward, like on the A8 and Bentley, will help keep the front end from grounding on steep driveway transitions and give a little more room for your left foot.

Real estate signs, golf bags and the dead bodies of teh younger, taller mafiosi will not fit in the current truncated boot. :-)
    Fred

Another view...

digitally altered

stock
    Fred

Sometimes an animation helps...

Just to give you an ideal how much affect these changes would have. I see an S500 slayer here.
    Fred

The Phaeton is better than the S class anyway (you know that - you bought one).

Its only downfall is the world, unfortunately, suffers from 'Branditus' - a common illness were people purchase products by brand image and not merit.

You'll have to wait for the Phaeton to borrow Audis MLB platform before you can move the front wheels that far forward.

p.s Why is the piccie taken outside a KIA agent. Are you trying to rub their noses in it.

(see I have 'Branditus' too.)

p.s Why is the piccie taken outside a KIA agent. Are you trying to rub their noses in it.

I think the real reason is so if VW doesn't take him up on his idea, he can have Kia make a $65K "bargain" luxury coupe.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Kia

Someone else took that photo. I just borrowed it because it was the perfect angle and I like blue - same color as mine.

Here's another coupe.

Fred

Merc. touch? Maybe the added space between the door and front wheel? The lengthened trunk looks a little Camaro to me.

I like it low and long...
    Fred