Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official: Audi A5 To Debut at Geneva 2007

Official: Audi A5 To Debut at Geneva 2007

While we have known about this for a while this is the official confirmation from a company source.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...aspx?AR=223691

It is likely that Audi will actually show the car a day or so before the auto show in some of site location. A teser site like the one for the Q7 and the TT is likely as well.

We can now start to discuss what the A5 will be like.

Engines: The 3.2 and 4.2 FSI (255 and 350 hp) are obvious bets but I would like to see the 300 hp 3.2 V6 FSI with Valvelift (from the Roadjet Concept) and a larger V8 with around 400 hp for the possible S5 version (new 4.8-liter Porsche Cayenne engine?)

Gearboxes: 6 speed automatic is guaranteed, 6 speed manual is possible. The 7 speed DSG (from the Roadjet Concept) is rumoured, it should be awesome and it should be ready by now.

Platform: The new MLP (which stands for Modular Platform for longitudinally mounted engines) has promised a lot (better handling, better weight distribution, shorter overhangs)

Size: The A5 is expected to be around 185 inches (4.7 meters) so it should have decent rear seat space. The wheelbase is expected to be around 112 inches (2.85 meters) so the overhangs should be shorter.

Feel free to add your wishes and desires.

Hope this is true, but litle bit to optimistic in my opinion, will see...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    Hope this is true, but litle bit to optimistic in my opinion, will see...
    Agree to an extent. I predict the following:

1. Engine Choices - 3.2l FSI (255 bhp), 4.2l FSI (350bhp)
    2. Transmission Options - 6-speed S-tronic, 6-speed Manual
    3. Platform - New MLP. I hope that the improvements in this new platform give the A5 the handling characteristics of a RWD sports sedan with the saftey and assurance of a AWD sports sedan. I also REALLY hope that the front overhang is decreased by a good amount.
    4. I am not too keen about the size. A little larger than I hoped for. Ah well.

Thanks,
    - Damien

hey damien

i predict, for the US market, only the new 300 hp V6 and the 350 hp V8. and that is just for the A5 variant. for the S5 i predict a tuned down version of the RS4 engine. for the RS5 i predict a V10.

and i also predict the 7 speed DSG and a regular manual as options.

i suspect it will weigh no more than the B7 A4 despite being larger.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Here are the Facts:
    A5 Coupe' Geneva 2007.
    A4 Sedan IAA Frankfurt 2007.
    A4 Avant Geneva 2008.
    RS4 V8 4.2 FSI VL 450 hp 2009.

A4/A5 possible engine line-up:

R4 1.8 TFSI 130 + 160 hp.
    R4 2.0 TFSI 200 hp.
    V6 2.8 FSI VL 210 hp.
    V6 3.2 FSI VL 300 hp.
    V8 4.2 FSI 360 hp.

A4 R4 2.0 TDI 115 + 150 + 170 ps.
    A4 V6 2.7 TDI 190 hp
    A4 V6 3.0 TDI 250 hp.

Gear boxes line-up:

6 speed manual.
    7 Speed DSG/S-Tronic.
    Multitronic.

Hans.

Valvelift technology will filter in to all of Audi's models including the A5, but this will take a little time as the technology is new. A 3.2 Valvelift producing 300hp, an increase of 90hp from an extra 400cc is quite a bit, though there is not doubt the engine is more than capable.

The most interesting thing is the fact that a v8 with 350hp is being add from the off, this means the S5 and RS5 will be something special. Hans is reckoning on 450hp from the RS5 which would left enough scope for the S5 to have anything between 375hp ~ 400hp.

Some say that the A5 will accept the v10, if so then maybe the RS5 will be a 480hp v10FSi which would allow Audi to give the S5 the current RS4 engine....M3 bring it on.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Hi RXBG

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    i predict, for the US market, only the new 300 hp V6 and the 350 hp V8. and that is just for the A5 variant. for the S5 i predict a tuned down version of the RS4 engine. for the RS5 i predict a V10.

and i also predict the 7 speed DSG and a regular manual as options.

i suspect it will weigh no more than the B7 A4 despite being larger.

Humm... Im not too sure about just the 300hp V6 and the 350hp V8. Seems that the hp figures are too close for comfort.

Im guessing the 3.2 FSI (255hp) because the car fits between the A4 and A6 (sizewise) and the A6 starts off with the 3.2 FSI in the US. If you are correct and the weight is similar to the A4, then the 3.2 will move the A5 quickly.

I really want to see some weight saving features on the A5/A4/ETC. platform. Even thought I would love to own an A-5/S-5 when it comes out RXBG i think im gonna be Mr. practical and run with the A4/S4. I would be cool to see the A4 drop about 150lbs (unrealistic, but i can wish).

What about S5 and, of course, RS 5 ?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    What about S5 and, of course, RS 5 ?
    This is where it gets tricky, the current FSI 3.2 and 4.2 are considered to be the engines for the regular A5 as on the A6. I propose the new Porsche Cayenne 4.8-liter FSI V8 (tuned up a bit) with around 400 hp for the S4 and a version of the Audi V10 for the RS5 with around 500 hp. But I am sure we will have to wait until Geneva to see how most of the picture plays out.

Porsche 4.8...

I didn't expect that one...

Interesting...

Hi !

Nothing under 200 hp :
    - 2.0 TFSI - 220 hp
    - 3.2 FSI - 255 hp
    - 4.2 FSI - 350 hp
    - 3.0 TDI - 245 hp

Gearboxes :
    - 6 manual
    - 7 DSG

All in quattro !

Options :
    - Megnetic Ride
    - Air suspension

Presentation of both the A5 ans the S5. On all spyshots, it is the S5 !!!

That's what i think will be revealed.

Gaby

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Valvelift technology will filter in to all of Audi's models including the A5, but this will take a little time as the technology is new. A 3.2 Valvelift producing 300hp, an increase of 90hp from an extra 400cc is quite a bit, though there is not doubt the engine is more than capable.

The most interesting thing is the fact that a v8 with 350hp is being add from the off, this means the S5 and RS5 will be something special. Hans is reckoning on 450hp from the RS5 which would left enough scope for the S5 to have anything between 375hp ~ 400hp.

Some say that the A5 will accept the v10, if so then maybe the RS5 will be a 480hp v10FSi which would allow Audi to give the S5 the current RS4 engine....M3 bring it on.

i think the S5 engine will be a VL 4.2 V8 perhaps. that is a car that could produce 400 hp, without all of the expensive engineering of the current non VL RS4 engine.

further, i think that for the USA (this is for your consideration damien), the base A6 engine will be the 300 hp 3.2 VL engine from the 2008 MY on. they might continue to offer the current 3.2 but only for base non quattro multitronic equipped models as the value leader option.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by gabbby View Post
    Hi !

Nothing under 200 hp :
    - 2.0 TFSI - 220 hp
    - 3.2 FSI - 255 hp
    - 4.2 FSI - 350 hp
    - 3.0 TDI - 245 hp

Gearboxes :
    - 6 manual
    - 7 DSG

All in quattro !

Options :
    - Megnetic Ride
    - Air suspension

Presentation of both the A5 ans the S5. On all spyshots, it is the S5 !!!

That's what i think will be revealed.

Gaby

not sure about both magnetic ride AND air suspension.......
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    not sure about both magnetic ride AND air suspension.......
    The word is the A5 will get Air suspension not Magnetic Ride suspension.

The word is the A5 will get Air suspension not Magnetic Ride suspension.
    Magnetic ride is exclusive for TT and R8 at the moment.
    The A5 will not get it, but the RS5 maybe will IMHO.

Hans.

I was under the impression that it will solely be for the TT and R8. I hope this is wrong as the system is amazing on the TT and well worth the money.

I was under the impression that it will solely be for the TT and R8. I hope this is wrong as the system is amazing on the TT and well worth the money.
    Hope so as well. I have seen many reviews compliment on Audi's Magnetic Ride. Seems to has done wonders for the new TT.

magnetic ride is the most advanced suspension in the world at this time, because is the fastest and the most precise suspension cars could have!why TopGear said that the new TT is dammmmm fast?Because of the suspension, the engines and of course the shassy!The new A5 will have magnetic ride for sure!