Thread: Ceramic brakes - a 800km review

Ceramic brakes - a 800km review

Someone asked me to post my findings on the ceramics so here they are.

When cold they brake just like any normal car I guess - haven't had to use them hard when cold so its a guess, but from what I've seen there is no big difference that makes it dangerous or anything.

I haven't had an emergency braking situation yet, but I imagine they'll be extremely good. Used them on the track during the Audi Driving Experience on the Audi-owned RS4s and they're amazing.

No squeeking yet from them. My dad reported that his ceramics on a 997 4S started squeeking after about 20.000 km in the wet.

After washing the car the day before and going out for a drive I had to dry the discs before they started working with any force - wet discs = big problem. Fortunately when you turn the windscreen wipers on, the discs dry themselves from time to time automatically by touching the pads to the surface. No braking problems in the rain whatsoever.

So basically they are wonderful - probably until the discs need replacing and I learn the price. So not even asking until they do. Will report more when I get some more km's on the clock.
    2007 RS4 Avant | Misano | Black Optics | SS+
    2001 S3 | Ebony

thank you mori. i assume there is no brake dust of course...
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Well its constantly wet and dirty on the roads so the wheels are dirty, but I didn't notice any considerable amount... The wheels lips are still greasy from the winter tire mounting and I haven't had a chance to properly wash them...
    2001 S3 | Ebony

Thanks for the report, nice to hear that they are working properly!

After 3000km they started to squeek a bit - but only when braking lightly - eg. slowly stopping at an intersection. Can't hear it with the windows closed, can't hear it with the windows open and music on. I rarely brake that lightly too so it doesn't bother me ... yet.

Hope it doesn't get worse.

Oh and one super important thing: the brakes suck because they are so good! They brake so well that my winter tires are being ripped to shreds. ABS kicks in really quick - Dunlop WinterSport M3 aren't all that good - in an RS4 at least. The temperature is rather high though - over 10 degrees C at night over here - crazy January. They should get better as the temperature falls hopefully.
    2001 S3 | Ebony

excellent! keep the info coming and keep

enjoying!!!!!!!!!
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

good good after hearing this report i am wanting my car to come more and more

Are the ceramics only available for the RS4 in europe?

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Are the ceramics only available for the RS4 in europe?
    It's available in Australia.