Thread: Winterkorn new boss of VW group

Exclamation Winterkorn new boss of VW group

Forbes
    http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/afx...fx3152319.html

Bloomber
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=ahFQHwKjfmfo

Now who will lead Audi?

I hope this does not harm Audi's future.
    I am - besides other things - Audidriven
    blog.audidriven.net

These news will have a huge impact on the whole VW/Audi/Porsche cluster. Obviously, Mr. Piech has gained control over the cluster as a whole.

I've read this news just a few minutes ago in a newspaper - well ... very interesting for the future of the whole VW group -> well ... let's see what future is going to bring.

rgds
    mr

Quote Originally Posted by mr View Post
    I've read this news just a few minutes ago in a newspaper - well ... very interesting for the future of the whole VW group -> well ... let's see what future is going to bring.
    There will be a lot of changes inside VAG and Audi and not all for the better i can assure you.
    Everything get overlooked again and revaluated.
    Car line up of models and types and engines can be axed like the TT RS or RS6.
    At the moment the TT RS can get a 2.5 liter 5 cylinder FSI turbo, it can become a 300 hp 3.6 liter VR6 or the hole model can be axed.
    VAG can develop 3 new 2.5 liter 5 cylinder engines 2.5 FSI 175 hp, 2.5 FSI K03 turbo 250-280 hp and 2.5 FSI K04 turbo 320-350 hp and axe the VR6 engines.
    Also they can axe the 5 cylinders and come with new VR6 engine.
    They can axe Audi V6 engines and start using VR6 engines instead.
    They can axe Porsche V8 engines and start using Audi V8 engines instead, or all the other way around.
    Every thing is possible after the first of January 2007.

Hans.

I would have thought this would be a good thing considering he was the head of Audi. He has been instrumental in Audi's success and I would have thought that from his new position he could put through the changes he has been fighting for quicker. Was it not he who porched the two chief engineers from BMW to improve Audi's sporty image and take the fight to BMW direct, surely now we will see more sporty models like the S/RS models sooner.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Let we hope so.
    But the main reson they choose Winterkorn is to restruc Volkswagen like he did with Audi, and most inportent to bring down overall costs.

Hans.

VW needs more sporting cars! A R60 twin turbo Phaeton would be nice!
    Fred

2004 VW Phaeton V8 Luna Blue
    1982 DeLorean V6 Stainless Steel

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Let we hope so.
    But the main reson they choose Winterkorn is to restruc Volkswagen like he did with Audi, and most inportent to bring down overall costs.

Hans.
    Understandable, but I believe he will bring a bigger separation between the two brands (Audi and VW). Parts sharing is ok when they don't determine how a car feels compared to another, no one would say the same indicators or electric window switch would make to cars feel the same, but suspension, chassis or engines will.

I think Audi should drop the Golf based A3 and use the new B8 chassis to develop a new A3 that drives like the rest of the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    I think Audi should drop the Golf based A3 and use the new B8 chassis to develop a new A3 that drives like the rest of the range.
    I totally agree with you there.
    An S3 Quattro with longitudinal 300 hp 3.2 V6 FSI valve lift engine wil be the way to go over a transeverse 3.2/3.6 VR6.
    And a RS3 with 3.2 V6 FSI valve lift Bi-turbo engine.

Hans.

But Hans, do you not agree that this will go against the cost savings required to get VAG back on track. Or am I wrong, will it be any difference using the B8 chassis over the Golf's one.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    But Hans, do you not agree that this will go against the cost savings required to get VAG back on track. Or am I wrong, will it be any difference using the B8 chassis over the Golf's one.
    It will not cost more because both floorplans are allredy in development.
    What will be the difference to start a new A3 on one of the floorplans.
    Audi have also plans to use the B8 floorplan for the next generation A5, A6 and A8 why not also the A3.
    If they use the B8 floorplan for A6 an A8 they have to lengthen it, there for they also can shorthen it for the new A3, all in the same process.

Hans.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    If they use the B8 floorplan for A6 an A8 they have to lengthen it, there for they also can shorthen it for the new A3, all in the same process.

Hans.
    I'm not sure it is that simple. And don't forget the Golf plattform is being used ~ 1 mio times with all the derivates, which makes it very appeling for the A3 - marginal adaptations.

Greets
    Seb.
    I am - besides other things - Audidriven
    blog.audidriven.net

roadrunner,

Agreed, but this fact does not cure the problem that the A3 and for that matter TT don't drive like the rest of the range. I think we can leave out the R8 basically because it is a low volume run and not a main stream product. Leave VW to develop the Haldex system and Audi to develop Quattro, lets see a separation between the two brands completely. Amen.

Hi,

I think the B8 will still the Audi base for the A4 and up new cars for a long time without sharing with VW models - probably until 2011/2012. The optimal thing should be to develop a lower cost transversal platform for the VW models, with a similar adaptive habilities. But, I think they are planning to share more components between the two brand, perhaps with two different platforms.

What we must never forget :
    - Audi is the fighting weapons for the group owners (VW's Piech, Porsche) against BMW and Mercedes : the ware is beginning
    - Piech is behind the actual changes : both in Audi production, lineup, and directors
    - Winterkhorn is a really good friend of Piech
    - They are both enginers, with technics and cost in mind : but the product is what they dream about. This is a really promising thing.

So, I think both Winterkhorn and Piech are dreaming to have a sport and luxury car empire : I hope they will do the necessary to reach the goals to be the first premium car maker in 2015...

Gaby

i've two questions,

do b6 and b7 have the same chassis?

is the new passat based on b6 chassis?

bonus question,

bentley continental flying spur & gt's chassis is based on vw phaeton but audi a8 has its own new chassis. what is the logic behind this?

Quote Originally Posted by quattro Gmbh View Post
    i've two questions,
    do b6 and b7 have the same chassis?
    is the new passat based on b6 chassis?
    A4 B6 and B7 have the same chassis.
    And the new Passat is not based on B6/B7 chassis but on a lengthen Golf V chassis.

Hans.

I think this is a good change, especially for Audi. It seems that Piech has wanted to put Audi in control of the VW-Audi Group all along. With Winterkorn as head of the whole group, this should actually benefit Audi the most. All top positions within the VW Group will be headed by Audi chiefs. Winterkorn continues to be the Chairman of the Board of Audi AG , so he will continue to direct Audi through the new Audi CEO (though the new CEO is only temporary if I read correctly). Audi is the jewel of the VW/Audi Group, and everyone including Porsche knows this. It will become Audi and Porche controlling the VW Group, especially once Winterkorn reorganizes the group with Audi in control of the not only Lambo (that it owns outright), but Bently as well. My prediction is that Porsche will take full control of VW Group once the VW Law is overturned by the German Supreme Court next year and create three separate entities: VW, Audi, and Porsche: each working separately as companies, yet connected as a confederation (yet even more distinct, but still sharing economies of scale) with Audi and Porsche as the powerbrokers of the VW Group. VW is the sick child requiring immediate attention by Audi and Porche if it is to compete against Toyota globally as this seems to be the goal of Winterkorn, Piech, and Wiedeking. Also, Winterkorn and Piech are all Audi ex-czars.

The only concern I have is that Porsche may try to prevent Audi from creating direct competitors to Porsche such as more sports cars. But, then Audi is way bigger than Porsche so from a business perspective this would not make sense. Also, Audi is more technologically superior than Porsche or anyone else within the group, so this will benefit the Audi and Porsche union in the future.
    Last edited by Audiphile; December 23rd, 2006 at 05:33.
    "Four Rings to Rule Them All - Audi"

as long as they keep doing these unbeleivebly good cars, i don't mind who's in charge, my only hope is that they won't take the MB and BMW design route
    heaven for the climate, hell for company